4.0 out of 5 stars A Riproaring Read - Lindsey at Her Best
When boyish Lady Brenna's home is pillaged and destroyed by Viking invaders, and she and other female members of her family are abducted as slaves by the very chief whose son she was pledged to marry, she vows revenge on the clan of Haardrad.
Published on 15 Sep 2003

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a traitor
Normally I enjoy Johanna Lindsey's books, and this one was recommended to me, but... I hated it. Not the heroine Brenna, I thoroughly enjoyed her strength of character, but Garrick the 'hero' was definitely NO hero. In fact, apart from being good looking, I couldn't find anything to like about him.

The story itself had the colour and tension to keep me reading...
Published on 27 May 2007 by Jona

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars A Riproaring Read - Lindsey at Her Best, 15 Sep 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Fires Of Winter (Paperback)
Fires of Winter is a powerful adventure across the seas to a faraway Nordic land with strange customs, a strong and appealing hero (Garrick Haardrad) and a heroine who is brought to realise that she can be both courageous and feminine.
Though one of Lindsey's longest, the story is so well paced and packed with great characters and plotlines that you are sorry when you come to the end of the book. It is definitely one of those 'unputdownable' novels that we all seek!
Lindsey gives us a glimpse into a long-ago world with a primitive yet powerful culture in such a way that I longed to know more (and was pleased to discover that Brenna and Garrick's world is brought to life through their children in two subsequent novels). The hero and heroine mesh together well both in mind and body. Their passion, whether in a battle of wills or in bed, makes this well-plotted story wonderful. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS BOOK WILL STOP THE HOUSEWORK!!, 15 Jun 2001
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
THIS IS BY FAR THE BEST JL BOOK EVER. BRENNA & GARRICK ARE PERFECT, THIS IS A BOOK THAT I NEVER LOAN OUT. A REAL TREASURE

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that you will re-read, 9 Jun 2002
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This was my first "Grown Up" book that I ever read, fifteen years on it is still my favourite. Brenna is a wonderfully strong women, (although it takes her a while to realize that she is a women not a man!). Made by her own father to marry into a viking clan, she studies the viking language and culture in preparation for her new life, but there is to be no marraige, it's just a viking ploy to gain entry and plunder her household. She is taken as a slave and given to the chiefains women hating son Garrick, She has the knowledge, cunning, courage and stubborness to escape Garrick's wrath into the wilderness of Norway. Garrick is cruel yet caring and once he finally lets himself love, and believes that Brenna loves him, he becomes a force to be reckoned with. Over all I did not want the story to end, one of those you wish had a sequel.

1.0 out of 5 stars I feel like a traitor, 27 May 2007
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)

The story itself had the colour and tension to keep me reading (that and thought Garrick would surely have a personality transplant and be transformed into the hero he was supposed to be), but ultimately I was left feeling Brenna deserved better and can only assume the poor girl had succumbed to the Stockholm syndrome.

Still, it won't stop me reading other Johanna Lindsey books!

5.0 out of 5 stars a very good read, 2 April 2005
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book especially Brenna's strength and ability to fight. More heroines should be strong like Brenna and her daughter without denying how they feel about the hero. This is definately one of my favs, right next to the Malories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enduring love story., 27 April 2001
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
Despite the rape scene which some readers find offensive, this book is an excellent read. I believe JL had Garrick rape Brenna to show how much his self control had gone where Brenna was concerned and for them both to then fall in love shows an amazing amount of forgiveness on Brenna's part. So, bearing this in mind one can then understand how the characters work. JL is about writing fantasy romance, not real-life romance. The reason we all love and read her books is for precisely that reason, we all want a bit of fantasy and escapism. As such, rape scenes are sometimes part of a woman's darkest fantasy, as are chains, bondage, etc and with most fantasies one would never wish that fantasy to be fulfilled. This book is an entertaining romance novel, no more, no less. The two main characters drive you to distraction with the will they/won't they scenario, but it ultimately is an enjoyable book that leaves you feeling glad you read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The viking met his match!, 15 July 2008
Edina Rose "Edina" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
Lady Brenna is a woman like no other. She fights better than most men, she has too much pride for her own good, she hates "women's work" and prefers working in the stables etc. The list is long. She has been captured by Garrick's father and given to Garrick as his slave. She is full of hate and ideas of revenge. She swore to run away from her captor at any cost and is not about to be distracted from her aim. Garrick is a very powerful viking chieftain who hates all women since his ex-fiancee left him for a richer man. He only seeks women when his body is too much in need of a woman's touch. But it has nothing to do with his feelings or his heart. It is purely mechanical. Lady Brenna will change that. The slave will enslave the viking's heart and the viking will tame the formidable Lady Brenna's heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, 26 Oct 2007
This review is from: Fires Of Winter (Paperback)
It has everything a woman could ask for in a romance novel. Yet again Jo Lindsey proves she has what it takes

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!, 8 July 1999
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This is my first JL book. Now I have to go out and buy all of the other ones that are rated highly by the readers. I really enjoyed it. I never finish a book in one day but I did this one. This is the first book that made me neglect my household duties for a day, luckily it was a holiday weekend and I still had Monday. Garrick and Brenna were a wonderful match. If you like books that are good right from the beginning, I recommend this one! I especially loved it when Garrick called her Brenna and not mistress. I love it when couples try to resist each other but fail miserably.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much & compassion & such a wonderful book. U must read it, 30 May 1999
This review is from: Fires of Winter (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is an amazing story.I've never read a book with so much compassion and thoughts. The outline of the story is excellent and great descriptions of characters. Johanna, you did a fabulous job with everything.I mostly like the adventures throughout the story.I would recommend this book to those who love romance!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Fires of Winter
Fires of Winter by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Feb 2002)
Used & New from: 0.01