5.0 out of 5 stars Unlikely bedfellows
I read this novel 10 years ago, and it remains one of the best, and most unusual, romances I've come across.

Published on 12 July 2005 by Rikke Petersen

1.0 out of 5 stars cliched
After reading the reviews on here I expected a great story, unfortunately what I got was an unbelievably cliche ridden story with coincidences that were too ridiculous to forgive. This was the second book I read by this author and it will be the last.
Published on 11 Jan 2012 by Melodramatic Fool

5.0 out of 5 stars Unlikely bedfellows, 12 July 2005
Rikke Petersen (Copenhagen, Denmark) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seize the Fire (Paperback)

Olympia is a real-blood princess of some obscure Eastern-Europe country, which she has never seen, but she dreams of returning home and "liberate" the people from her uncle's opression. In short, she's a somewhat naive idealist, but very endearing. However she's a ward of Queen Victoria, and has little influence over her own destiny. In order to sneak out of London and start her personal crusade she enlists the help of Sir Sheridan Drake, acclaimed hero, and her greatest idol. Sheridan turns out to be a man with MANY secrets, and his own motives for helping her.
He's one of the most conflicted romantic heroes I've come across, and his closet is just brimming with skeletons. As an example, he was previously a killer/strangler for the Kali sect in India. Not that he had a choice, but still not an acceptable occupation for a gentleman.
During their travels this unlikely couple gradually get to know each other for real, and form a relationship.

5.0 out of 5 stars How does she do it?, 12 Mar 2010
Yet another wonderful book by Laura Kinsale! I agree with all that has been said about this book as I have just finished it. Having collected most of LK's books since I discovered her through these reviews I have been awed by her capacity to create such extraordinary heroes and heroines, historical detail and complicated and interesting plots. She is wonderful!

The journey through these pages will have your eyes watering and your inside feeling as it has never done before. My breath was held so many times whilst reading this book because I forgot to breath! Sheridan was out of his time and Olympia grew into hers and they found each other at last. Lovely reading, as I have found ALL of her books to be.

She is a little like Dorothy Dunnett but on a much smaller scale.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Romance, 5 Dec 2007
S. Pinnington "Maid of Kent" (Maidstone, Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seize the Fire (Paperback)
I agree with the previous reviewer, I read this book some years ago and very reluctantly returned it to the library. It is one of the very best romances I have ever read (and I've read alot). The character of Sheridan Drake will stay in your mind for a long time and he is the perfect flawed hero.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laura Kinsale is Incomparable, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: Seize the Fire (Kindle Edition)
This book is a joy from start to finish. It is amusing at times, absolutely action packed at other times, and gripping at all times. The "Hero" (who really does not wish to be a Hero) is one of a kind. What a talented writer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something to shout about!, 25 Oct 2013
This review is from: Seize the Fire (Kindle Edition)
I didn't think it was possible to find another book that would equal Flowers from the Storm - but this one does. Admittedly, I love a tortured hero - and Sheridan Drake is half-crippled by his past, although at first he hides it quite well. The story moves at a fairly brisk pace and through numerous foreign locations - I particularly enjoyed the sequence on the Falkland Islands and was also very interested in the time spent at the palace of Isak Pasha having been there myself. My only criticism [and it's very minor] is that I didn't feel Sheridan's father was ever properly explained. Did he merely enjoy life-wrecking jokes or was he truly trying to ruin his son - and if so, why? Either way, it's pretty clear his demise was no loss to mankind in general or Sheridan in particular. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading it again in the future.

1.0 out of 5 stars cliched, 11 Jan 2012

Seize the Fire
Seize the Fire by Laura Kinsale (Paperback - Oct 1989)
Used & New from: 0.01