5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, sad, very shocking
This is the third Torey Hayden book I have read (the first two were One Child and it's sequel, Tiger's child, both excellent). This book, Ghost Girl, is incredibly moving and extremely shocking. It is hard to believe that this sort of abuse goes on, but it does, and here Torey tries so desperately to help this little girl, Jadie, a pupil in her class for special needs...
Published on 8 Jun. 2005 by AliG

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and sad
Published 8 months ago by Josi

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating and sad, 28 July 2014
I had mixed feelings about this book. The writing was reasonable at best, however what frustrated me was that as both a trained psychologist and teacher, which is in itself unusual, that it took Torey Hayden over a year to gain enough of the story to make a safeguarding disclosure and get the 8 year old child and her sisters removed from an abusive situation. The considerable doubt she placed on the child's story is sad and the lack of imagination over understanding the 'dallas' names, in addition to her own fears about being ridiculed within her profession meant that the baby who could have been saved at an earlier point, was then abused too. The reverse of the book states that Torey Hayden was this remarkable teacher who saved Jadie, but she did not 'save' her. She did rescue her, but she and her sisters had already been hurt. Torey Hayden writes in such a way to make herself sound remarkable, yet in doing so she lost something & failed to understand the remarkable bravery that the child Jadie showed. Whilst the contents may be horrific, that should never be a reason to consider them untrue. Children are far more likely to tell truths than to tell lies, when of this nature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Was a little disappointed, 11 Jun. 2008
G. Capper - See all my reviews
Although i loved reading the book as much as i have enjoyed all of Torey Hayden's books, I was disturbed at the end as nothing significant came out of the investigation. Surely in circumstances like this one someone must have known what was going on!! Was there a cover up? Where other children involved? Is this still happening in that town? Why were her parents not prosecuted, surely in this day and age this case can be reopened and more facts be obtained.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very powerfull and moving book to read, 15 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Mass Market Paperback)
I have to say this book was very moving and painfull to read.
I could not not stop myself from crying at times as the main little girl in this book called Jadie suffers such horrific sexual abuse it is very hard to read what her and her sister go through.
What keeps you gripped is Torey Hadens love and kindness to Jadie, her concern and determination to get her out of this nightmare. Its very powerfull words.
All i can say is it when you read this it does play on your mind and you will be upset by what you read but on the other hand it shows you there are amazing people like Torey Haden out there helping children escape these kind of nightmares and there are people willing to fight to put these evil people away.
God bless you Torey Haden!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars compelling yet horrible to read, 14 Mar. 2006
Rebecca Smisson (Elgin, Moray United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This book is not for the faint hearted. Torey does not hold back when describing the abuse suffered by the children she has worked with. One Child made me cry, Ghost Girl made me physically sick. It's the first time I had to stop reading and come back to it a few days later.
I'm not going to descibe the book's story - just read it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Horror in Real Life, 9 Aug. 2006
My god!!! I read this book in 2 days. Torey Hayden deserves all cudos going for working with and helping Jadie. This reads like a real life horror and what this little girl reveals could never be made up. A true patience and understanding from Hayden comes through in this book, and whilst at times I felt physically sick reading it I can only imagine how she must have felt hearing these revelations from a young child.Hayden also goes into a lot of explanations about possible outcomes at the end of this book and this makes very interesting and informative reading. It is harrowing, gut wrenching, unbelievable(in the shocked sense) and shocking. DO NOT be put off by this, this book is a truly FIRST CLASS read and leaves you realising that just as thare are bad guys there are an awful lot of good guys too. Hayden is one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully written but disturbing, 9 Oct. 2012
K. Ingram (England) - See all my reviews
I have read a number of Torey's books - Beautiful Child, Twilight Children and this one - but this was by far the most disturbing.
I will not go into detail so as not to ruin the book, but I took this book on holiday to read and found it was not quite as light-hearted, particularly as Twilight Children!
The story of Jadie frightened me due to the highly graphic stories she told Torey, but I still enjoyed reading it as I was desperate to know what's happened to Jadie and her family.

I really enjoyed this book despite its graphic nature - I would recommend with caution, readers should not casually just pick it up, prepare yourselves a bit first.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 1 July 2014
I read my first Torey Hayden book (Somebdy else's kids) a few weeks ago. I thought I would try it as I have read a lot of Cathy Glass books and this seemed in a similar vein, I enjoyed it and so bought "Ghost Girl". Although the story is heart wrenchingly good the actual writing was very hard to follow as the author seemed to jump ahead quite often or switch to another subject altogether, when all I wanted was to find out what happens next, not wait another chapter!. There was a lot of unnecessary information/mood setting. In conclusion Story good - writing bad! Not sure if I will give this author another chance or not!

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful and sometimes hard hitting story, 28 July 2014
This is a very well written and gripping book. I couldn't put it down and read it at every available moment. But a word of warning, it's sometimes a nasty world out there and even in my 53 years on this planet I have just read of things that some may disturbing. I suppose you cannot write of troubled minds without knowing of such things, I'm no lightweight and not easily upset but this storey can't fail but get to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly moving, 27 Nov. 2006
This was the first novel I ever read of Hayden's and it moved me very deeply.

Talking of a difficult topic it is an emotionally gripping but a very worthwhile novel. You have to praise the work Hayden did with the troubled young girl Jadie was when we first meet her- it shows the work of a true professional.

I will admit that I was moved to tears at several points but found the book very difficult to put down- I read it within two sittings.

An excellent novel which allows a deeper insight into the psychology of the mind and how it can overcome even the worst experiences. It got me hooked on Hayden's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 13 April 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Ghost Girl (Mass Market Paperback)
This book is very unique and enjoyable - although with the subject matter it dealt with, perhaps 'enjoyable' seems inappopriate. I was struck from the beginning by what a special, strong person Tory must be in order for her to deal with what happened, and to not be afraid to tell the truth.
The book is fairly slow to unfold: a good three-quarters of the book is dealt with repetitive conversations that don't seem to make progress, but with hindsight, every word spoken is a precious step forward.
For the reader, it sometimes feels like slow, painful progress but this perhaps allows one to empathise more with Tory, and get a feel for how frustrating it must have been for her at times.
The story does hold you in its grip right from the beginning. The narrative and descriptions are vivid, and you feel like you are watching a sinister but captivating movie unfold.....with each page turned you want to know what's going to happen.
Finally, it pains me to say that I have friends who have suffered from this particular type of abuse here in the UK - believe me, it does go on and even now, it could be happening in your own street. I greatly admire Torey's bravery for highlighting these horrific issues, and for telling it as it is, without any soft, protective words for the reader.
A great book, highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Ghost Girl
Ghost Girl by Torey L. Hayden (Mass Market Paperback - 24 July 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01