5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my relationship.
This book is amazing.

I never knew that Arab sheikhs drank wine from goat skins, nor did I know that the phrase "rape me against my will, oh please don't rape me against my will" could be employed so often in the early chapters of a non-consensual erotic romance.

Truly, utterly incredible, for the way it has improved my sex life. My lover...
Published 2 months ago by FantasyWriter

3.0 out of 5 stars You can tell this is an early one......!
Published on 22 Mar. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars You can tell this is an early one......!, 22 Mar. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
Well, as a Johanna Lindsey addict, I carried on with this book even though my greater instincts were telling me not to waste my time. I'm glad I did. The writing in the first third of the book was poor and the characters didn't seem to be too believable (Christina is extremely annoying). However, it would appear that JL got going and settled into this more as the story progressed and it actually got quite gripping towards the end. Not her usual standard, but this book was written 20 odd years ago. She's gotten a lot better since this book. If you're new to JL's books, don't pick this one as you might not read another. 'Silver Angel' is on the same lines as this and is much better. Or try one of her wonderful Malory books; they're great, really addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my relationship., 31 Oct. 2014
FantasyWriter (Bonnie Scotland) - See all my reviews
This book is amazing.

Truly, utterly incredible, for the way it has improved my sex life. My lover and I have a drinking/erotic sex game we play using it. He dresses up as the aforementioned Sheikh, and I in harem pants and he commands me to read a page at random. Every time I hit an unnecessary adverb, he get to chose which item of clothing I remove. To spice things up, I have the option of substituting the clothing item for taking a shot of high-test tequila.

What literary merits this book might have I do not know, but I must thank Ms Lindsey for saving my relationship. We were headed for the doldrums that no amount of kinky feckery to Christian Grey's Spotify playlist could aid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captive Bride, 11 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Captive Bride (Kindle Edition)
I read this book years ago and wanted to see if it was still good. It was. Fast past throughout. I couldnt put it down, finished it in 2 days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 18 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Captive Bride (Kindle Edition)
Wow what a fantastic read the emotions that she goes through from being a spoilt child she grows in to a woman who has found love but not where she expected to find it. this story really makes you feel as it is you in the story. A wonderful story for women to read while hubby or whoever is down the pub with their mates........ Enjoy ladies I know I did several times .................Oooooh loverly

3.0 out of 5 stars Jane, 28 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Captive Bride (Kindle Edition)
It is just ok. It feels like the writer rushes through the most of the story and then slows down at the end. Most of the life of Cristina in desert is 'the next morning Cristina was sewing...' 'the next morning they were having breakfast..' and this was disappointing as it felt that the writer is just telling us the fact rather than the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars For her 1st, 12 Sept. 2012
E. Rock "erocky1" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
For Johanna's first book, i'd have to say that this isn't THAT bad and is a lot better than some of the other reviews had me thinking it would be. Obviously as it was her 1st book the sex scenes haven't been prefected and I felt that the most intimate parts moved too fast and jumped around a bit. The chemistry was still there though, as was the romance. I wanted to hit the male lead for being so pigheaded and arrogant during the whole novel but he won me over in the end. I'd also like to note that this is no where near as bad as her books in recent years.

2.0 out of 5 stars new review, 15 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Captive Bride (Kindle Edition)
I have read many Johanna Lindsey books and this is the first I have found really disappointing, I am half way through and tempted to return to the bookshelf and start something new. I am sure I will pick up another JL book but perhaps with not so much enthusiasm next time.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Johanna Lindsey books, 6 Dec. 2011
This review is from: Captive Bride (Kindle Edition)
I loved it! I know this book has received a lot of unfavorable reviews in certain places on the web, but come on...the title of the book is "Captive Bride" for goodness sake. The hero does kidnap the heroine...but he has strong feelings for her and treats her kindly most of the time. Yes, he does spank her like once, but that's it and as far as historical romances go - it wasn't that bad. I loved the tension between the lead characters and got through the entire book in a day.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor, but fortunately she's written others better, 19 Jun. 2005
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Captive Bride (Mass Market Paperback)
I was most disappointed by this book. Probably most of that disappointment can be explained by the fact the book is very old (and comes across as old-fashioned). Fortunately she got better after this book!
I had some problems with the basic premise of the book - Englishman kidnaps Englishwoman in Egypt and forces her to become his mistress...
The style seemed short and jerky without full characterisation. I got bored of her saying "I hate you" to him, and it appeared the only reason her liked her was because she was beautiful.
There are shedloads of better books of this genre out there, don't waste your money on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you yearn for desert romance., 11 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Captive Bride (Unbound)
One of her older books, that i had to search for to fill my collection from a second hand shop. But a good one. My favourite writer of all time, i have collected all of her books by hook or by crook over the last 8 years.. Desert prince meets, english rose, neither prepared to give an inch. Read it and you won't put it down till you finish the last page.

Captive Bride
Captive Bride by Johanna Lindsey (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Jan. 2010)