5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Anatole (Paperback)
I read this book as a child and have always remembered it. Re-reading it 40 years later it continues to delight, depicting a socially-conscious mouse who contributes to society by insightful cheese-tasting comments. The illustrations are especially charming. Hard to think of a child of any age who will not love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book ever!, 16 Feb 2014
This review is from: Anatole (Paperback)
Like the other reviewers on this page I remember this from too many decades ago. The most charming story and such a lovely little philosophy within it. Anatole and his friend Gaston are determined that the world will know what decent people mice are!! I hope to order this soon for my son who is 6...

5.0 out of 5 stars The Inspiration for Ratatouille??, 11 Aug 2013
Sarah Durston (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Anatole (Paperback)
This is such a wonderful little book and it's hard to believe that it was written in the 1950s because it feels incredibly contemporary.

Anatole is a content French mouse until he overhears some people discussing how mice are a nuisance. After some consideration he finds a way to become useful to humans; by offering advice to a cheese manufacturer about how to improve the cheeses!

I can't help but feel this much have acted as the inspiration for the Walt Disney film Ratatouille. An utterly charming tale with distinctive illustrations and a wonderful moral at its heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not at all cheesy, 20 April 2011
This review is from: Anatole (Library Binding)
I loved this book as a child. My copy was lost long long ago. Now I have a child of my own I have bought a copy and it is just as delightful as I remember. My son enjoys it equally which is wonderful.

The story follows Anatole, a mouse who lives in a village outside Paris. Distressed at the bad rap mice get from humans and anxious to feed his family, Anatole, decides to prove himself useful. In fact it is a matter of honour. The fact that he finds employment in a cheese factory is particularly fun and there are lots of delicious illustations and descriptions of the many cheeses.

It is a classic book. Great fun and beautifully illustrated. Go on buy it!

Anatole
Anatole by Eve Titus (Paperback - 12 Jan 2010)
5.99