5.0 out of 5 stars I think you'll find a use for Seuss, a use for Seuss
Recently I bought this as a gift realising that if I bought these five in bulk it would save about 45% over buying all these books individually. I was going to give two books to one person, and three to another, but I may well end up buying another set so both can have a complete set.

Before I parted with them I decided to take them out and read them. What...
Published on 29 Sep 2011 by L. Power

1.0 out of 5 stars can't understand those poems
didn't find they are beautiful or interesting at all,
too many random words make it a bit annoying,
couldn't finish either one.
Published 13 months ago by flowerheart

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I think you'll find a use for Seuss, a use for Seuss, 29 Sep 2011
L. Power "nlp trainer" (San Francisco) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)

Before I parted with them I decided to take them out and read them. What amazes me is how great they are for a child starting to read.

You may not know that 'Happy Birthday' according to the Guinness Book of Records is the most sung song in the world. You may wonder why. Well, for one thing Happy Birthday contains 16 words, of which only two are not repeated many times. In fact there are only six unique words. Part of the ease of understanding comes with repetition.

Green Eggs and Ham has about 60 unique words and 500 to 600 words overall, very cleverly done, and outstanding for a child learning to read, with entertaining color illustrations on each page, great rhyme, repetition and variation and parallel structure, even reversal.

Here is an example with parallel structure and rhyme:

So I will eat them in a box
And " " " " with a fox.
" " " " " in a house.
" " " " " with a mouse.
" " " " " here and there.
" " " " " anywhere.
Say! I will eat them ANYWHERE.

Now see if you can sing these words to the tune of Happy Birthday. I think you will find the meter is similar. I think it's quite ingenious. And I think Green Eggs and Ham will encourage a child to try new things.

And a reversal pattern:

I am Sam. Sam I am.

Hop on Pop is a great first book for a child to make rhyme associations through, very entertaining and for a beginner.

Fox in Socks is full of tongue twisters.

One fish two fish red fish blue fish. Notice the repetition through parallel structure.

The Cat in the Hat reputedly contains 220 unique words given by an educator to Seuss to rhyme as the essential words for a child to learn, and created the memorable absurdity of two children and a prankish cat.

Seuss won a Pulitzer prize in 1984 for his overall literary work, so if you want to get your child or someone else's to read Pulitzer prize winning literature at an early age, you need look no further.

I know you will enjoy these absurd and surreal stories, and I hope you found this helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars You would like them in a boat, you would like them with a goat, 9 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
In the computer age it's great to see these wonderful 'I can read it all by myself' books are still available. The collection comprises Green Eggs and Ham, Hop on Pop, Fox in Socks, One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish and (of course) The Cat in the Hat. These books are going to last so the hardcovers are worth having.

I bought this set for my nieces and they loved them. I had forgotten how much I loved these books and how wonderful the world of Seuss is. The illustrations are still lovely and the only thing that could have made this collection even better would had been the inclusion of Are You My Mother? Recommended!I'm off to read about the tweetle beetle bottle puddle paddle battle muddle...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Dr Seuss collection, 11 Feb 2010
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
A great set of books. Im new to the Dr Seuss books, but this seemed to be a very good collection. There are some simpler ones (Hop on Pop, One fish, two fish) which my 2 year old enjoyed. Also some more complex stories (Fox in Sock, Cat in Hat) that I enjoyed (aged 46) and I think my son will enjoy latter...

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Set, 5 Oct 2010
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
I bought this for my niece as a gift for her 5th birthday. Although she loves stories and books at bedtime, she is reluctant to spend time 'learning' to read. These books have been a very welcome introduction, containing repetative words and sounds that she can see relate to her new phonics lessons at school. There are also the tougher, longer books that she finds hilariously silly which are great for bed time and snuggling in on the sofa! A wonderfull little treasury that I love sharing with her and challenging myself how fast we can read the tounge twisting Fox in Socks! Fun reading for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars great!!, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
best mini collection....great way to start Dr. Seuss!! Nice hard cover and good coloring!! Great price as well for these four books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic story books., 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
I bought this for my godson as I loved these books when I was a child. They come in a nice presentation box and are all hardback, durable books. They will hopefully last him many years of bedtime stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let's have a little talk about tweetle beetles...., 28 Aug 2013
S. L. Butler "Simon Butler" (Sheffield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
I bought this collection for my niece's 2nd birthday because I absolutely loved reading Dr Seuss books with my 13 year old son when he was younger. I wanted a starter set for her and as this contains 4 absolute classics - The Cat in the Hat, Green Eggs & Ham, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish and Fox in Socks - it seemed ideal.

My niece loved them all, especially the wonderful Fox in Socks. As soon as she opened the present she had to be read each book and she wanted Fox in Socks read to her 3 times in a row she loved it so much!

I just know that these books will give her (and her parents) many hours of fun. And because the books range from simple words (Hop on Pop) through to quit complex sentences (Fox in Socks), they will help her when she starts to read too.

Highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars great books, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
Good books and very enjoyable and fun learning for children, Green eggs and ham my all time favourite. Super books

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing value, 20 books, 5 July 2014
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
amazing value, 20 books, I loved these when I was a child, now i have bought them to read to my son, i hope he will keep reading them, when he learns to read

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr. Seuss's Collection, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection (Hardcover)
Of all the books i have bought for my son, he seem to love Dr. Seuss's collection more than all of them. He enjoy them being read for him each night before going to bed.

Romeo Richards

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection
Dr. Seuss's Beginner Book Collection by Dr Seuss (Hardcover - 22 Sep 2009)
24.35