5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!.. leaves you wanting more!
I,like others it seems only bought this book as I loved 'the book thief' so much. I wasn't dissapointed! This book is nothing at all like 'the book thief' but it has a few things it common with it,in that it is a wonderfully written, page turning,original and thought provoking book by an excellent Author.

Ed is a wonderful character - a nice guy with an average...
Published on 12 Dec 2008 by Jala sufian

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun and inspiring book
Published on 15 Aug 2010 by aus_books

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!.. leaves you wanting more!, 12 Dec 2008
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)

Ed is a wonderful character - a nice guy with an average life. When he starts receiving cards with strange messages on, his life starts on a roller coaster journey which changes Ed forever. I loved this book. I recommend it to anyone who loves books which are a bit different, quirky and heart warming at the same time.

My only criticism is that I read it too quickly and now I need to find another equally page turning book to read. Now my search begins ...lol

3.0 out of 5 stars A fun and inspiring book, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
I came to this book having read The Book Thief over a year before (it became one of my favourite books of all time). If this sounds familiar, try to allow some leniency and understanding in knowing that 'I Am the Messenger' precedes Book Thief; it is probably hard for most people, including myself not to compare the two. Having said that, I'll try to review 'I Am the Messenger' on its own merits, without drawing too many comparisons.

So, overall this was a very well written, fun and sincere book. You definitely see Zusak's intelligence and storytelling ability through this book.

Ed is a flawed, yet highly likeable guy. He has a genuine (raw) beauty that you don't see in many characters in today's books and I loved that I actually felt the emotions he went through - the tense situations, empathy for people in horrible situations and the beauty of helping his friends.

After a while you start to go what he's going through - days lost to nothing consequential, the feeling that your life isn't going anywhere fast. In a way, his friends are his saving grace and you come to love them and respect them, even with their flaws, in the way that Ed does.

This is a very Australian book; at times it almost feels more like a movie script than a book. Some of the references, particularly closer to the start of the book are very Occa, and not everyone from overseas will understand the references and humour.

While this book is aimed at young adults, I think adults will appreciate it as well (if not more) and some of the themes are definitely for older youths anyway.

(SPOILERS WARNING) I note that some people are disappointed by the ending. I am somewhat, it kind of feels a bit like an easy cop-out on Zusak's behalf but then I also see beauty in it... I think really he's just trying to say that we can write our own story and improve on it if we just try... After all, if a somewhat downtrodden guy like Ed can do, anyone can.

Anyway, in conclusion, this book isn't another Book Theif but it is fun to read, amusing and I got some interesting ideas to think about by reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Truly Great Read, 21 Sep 2007
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
I must admit that the only reason I read this book, or considered reading it in the first place was because I had read the "The Book Thief" also by Marcus Zusak and found it a truly outstanding read. This is what brought me to read this book but I am glad to have read it. I found this book to be everything you want from a book when you decide to read it, riveting, thought provoking, heart warming moments but also the dark moments (which the author seems to write very well in all his books) which make a book more intersting.

I do not want to go into the details of the book, people can learn them if they decide to read the book themlseves but suffice to say the book moves at a good pace and always has twists and turns (and the occasional belly shaking laugh) which makes it very difficult to put down. The main characters, and even the less important characters, are well introduced and given clear and unique personalities and as in one of the previous reviews I have to agree that the character of Doorman the dog is a fantastic peice of writing by the author. However unlike the previous reviews I would disagree with the fact that this book has anything at all to do with the Da Vinci code or the National Treasure film nor would I agree with the comparison of this book to "My Name is Earl" yes there are some elements of karma in this book, but no more so than any other book, this book is nothing like that show, this book attempts too, and suceeds, in putting acroos a message, a message which I will leave readers to discover themselves.

This book is a truly great read and I would not hesitate in recomending it to anyone

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, 20 May 2008
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
Like the other reviewers, I read this book because I enjoyed The Book Thief so much. I Am The Messenger is a very different book, but, I think, equally as brilliant. It's very readable, (I couldn't put it down and carried it around with my all day) and the characters are flawed but I loved them all. The book is very uplifting but never wallows in sentimentality or emetic sweetness. If you like things that are quirky, and a little different, then give this book a try. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars I am Earl?, 16 May 2007
Ms. A. Mclauchlan "MCAnna" (Stoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
Any fans of the TV show 'My Name is Earl' are going to love this book - Karma gone wrong would not be too far from the mark.

The Messenger is Ed,[...]with an old soul and little of value in his life beyond a couple of friends and his dog. (The character of Ed's dog is illustrated with incredible humour and is one of the best developed none-talking roles in literature).

As in The Book Thief, Zusak displays his dark humour and blinding ability to get to the core of the reader, whilst occasionally this can be disquieting I actually found it mostly comforting.

Throughout this 'done before, but not quite like this' novel, Ed meets interesting characters, some loveable, some loathsome but all of whom you end up feeling a slight twinge of sympathy for and perhaps even find the ability to empathise with. Ed has to assist each character with something that is preventing them from living life to the full and as you would expect this gradually gives his life a purpose too.

Whilst this is hardly a heart warming tale (it thankfully has no pretensions of being a `self help novel') it will make you think about what you have done in the past and how you will do things in the future. Comes highly recommended for the enlightened and not so enlightened reader alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, 31 Dec 2008
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
After reading "The Book Thief" (you can view my review there aswell) I was compelled to read his other book in hope it would stand up to the Thief's high standard. And it certainly did.

Ed is a poor man with card playing friends and comical dog who has a pretty much boring life. Then this is all changed when he recieves a playing card in the post with addresses on. He visits these addresses and then gives a "Message" to certain people causing an amazing change for the better in others lives. Confused at why he is doing this, who is making him and at the horrors that just live in the neighburhood, Ed unravells the town's secrets and the playing cards' secrets revealing one true thing. He's not giving messages but the message himself. What message he is I leave for you to find out.

AMAZING MUST-READ, RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars read it in one go, 11 Sep 2008
E. Barnes (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
Having read and delighted in The Book Thief, I thought that I would give I am the Messenger a go. I was in Oz at the time and so the setting was perfect. It truly is a read in one sitting book. It may have been written for young adults but is a book that all can take from.

5.0 out of 5 stars the message is - read this book, 19 July 2009
Ms. C. D. Stuteley (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
Lovely little tale centering on a group of friends who seem to be losers but in fact are just trying their best with the hands they've been dealt and how change comes about through a mystery person directing their lives through the central character. The author shows great imagination and a well thought out plot. What I like about Marcus Zusak is his characters are treated with warmth and humanity, both in this book and The Book Thief.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick read, 22 April 2008
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
I was a fan of the book thief so I thought I would buy this book to see if it was any good. I never really had any high hopes for it becauseafter readibg a great book you really tend to think about the book but I never did that with this book. I loved the story line and thought it was a good read. Fullied with turns and surprises. Anyway I recommend to anyone who loved the bookthief to buy this because you will not be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 20 Oct 2011
This review is from: I am the Messenger (Paperback)
Markus Zusak is the most wonderful writer. As with most, I started reading his work with the Book Thief, which is beautiful and harrowing and thought-provoking. I am the Messenger is another of Zusak's finest works, and one of my favourite books. It's a relatively simple, innocent story but Zusak writes extremely well. It's simple and accessible to all, but his words are beautiful. There are certain sentences or phrases which stick with me constantly. He is a master of words. The story is thought-provoking; attempting to make us better, giving us the hope that we can be better, that we can change our lives and those of others. But beyond anything else, Zusak's words are just BEAUTIFUL.

I am the Messenger
I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak (Paperback - 1 Feb 2008)
5.92