5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly very good
This isn't my type of book. Teen romance, young adult style of American rebellious teens. I didn't think I'd be able to relate to anything in the story- I wasn't even aware there was an underground scene in New York, but I digress.

Published on 16 Oct 2009 by Sean OToole

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas but difficult-to-read style
Review also available on my blog: http://readingismycupoftea.tumblr.com/post/92560616906/review-nick-norahs-infinite-playlist-by-rachel-cohn

Hi guys!

Published 29 days ago by Molly Gibson-Mee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly very good, 16 Oct 2009
Sean OToole (Derby, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

On the behest of my girlfriend I decided to give it a read, and I was sucked in right off the bat. The story progression is something I'd never come across before, and I found it to be an excellent way of conveying the points of view of different people, it helps having two authors, I suppose.

The story of the two young people caught up in a night of excitement was invigorating and I couldn't put the book down. The backstories and various nuances for each of the main characters were very good and just made sense.

I would definitely recommend to at least try reading this book, even if you don't think you'll like it. There's just something about the way that it's put together than really works. Excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Oct 2006
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Before I start the story that is Nick and Norah, I decided we needed to get some misconceptions out of the way first.

1) I don't live in Manhattan, so I won't understand what the characters are talking about. Wrong! I don't live in Manhattan--actually, I've never been farther East than Ohio, but I still got the gist of the story quite easily. Sure, I might never have visited Times Square, but I've been on the Square in my hometown (population 3,400), and the same types of things went on there that go on in New York.

2) This book is full of cursing. Right! And if you haven't heard a lot of curse words (do I really need to spell them out?), especially from the mouths of teens, in the last twenty years or so, I'm guessing you live on a commune somewhere in the middle of Utah.

3) This book only covers one night. Right again! And oh, what a night it is! One night, filled with all the ups, downs, and sideways that being a teen in todays world brings.

Now that we've got that out of the way, we can concentrate on the story. It's about Nick, a bassist for a band with an ever-changing name, who recently had his heart broken by a b***h named Tris. It's about Norah, an uber-complicated girl with more issues than The National Enquirer, who not too long ago had her virginity broken by Tal. And then there's Caroline, and Jessie, and Uncle Lou, not to mention Dev and Thom, and Randy from Are You Randy?, and Hunter from Hunter. There's beer, and
there's drugs, and there's sex, although none of it is Nick or Norah's.

There's heartbreak, and devastation, and lust, and forgiveness, and acceptance. There's parents to deal with, and friends to attempt to deal with, and a boy and a girl who wish that, just once, they could be themselves and not deal at all. There's a love story, and a song about a girl on a street in the middle of the night, and a band that just might make it big, and a car that won't start, and a subway ride that requires jumping the turnstyle.

There's love, and anger, and disappointment, and desperation, and redemption. There's life, and then there's Nick and Norah. There's a story here, and you need to read it.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to get dragged into., 6 Jan 2011
C. Hamer "chrisahamer" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Paperback)
The thing that surprised me most about this book was how it pulled me in.
I know a book like this serves its purpose when - for the time reading it - I forget about everything else. This book does this really well.

The book is written from 2 perspectives, that of Nick and Norah, which actually makes it more interesting, especially when they both write about the same event as you get the kind of insight you normally wish for in real life :)

Another thing I commend this book on is for its vivid descriptions and believable characters. Something about the way they are described will make us all able to identify with them.

It is a really nice story, written extremely well. If you want to escape for a bit - or even make more sense of whats going on around you if you are in your teens (I am not in my teens but have only just passed them so I can still see it from that perspective) help you gain a bit of insight, this book is for you.

Oh and the musical references are spot on!

Definitely worth a read and worth enjoying!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, 27 Mar 2013
I love this book. An inordinate amount. Read it when you've had a rubbish day, or when you're in bed ill. It will make you feel a thousand times better.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting ideas but difficult-to-read style, 22 July 2014

Hi guys!

Although I hadn’t heard of Rachel Cohn before I read this, I had heard of David Levithan from his book Two Boys Kissing - which lots of people say is great. I am unsure about co-written books but this plot sounded interesting so I decided to request it. It was first published in 2006 but reprinted early this month with a cool new cover!

Straight away, I didn’t connect to this book. I found the style really hard to understand and some sentences I had to read twice to fully understand. I did finish this book but the complex writing style made it difficult to read - especially for a short book. Whereas some sentences were incredibly poetic and deep, others were filled with the F-word (used gratuitously in this book) which meant that contrasted with each other they felt out of place. I can understand that perhaps Cohn and Levithan were trying to convey a message about what the teenage society is like but for me I found it confusing and very difficult to read. It stopped me from connecting to the plot, or the characters.

The pace for me was disjointed. The start of the book was very quick, too quick. You’re dropped immediately into this concert without knowing anything about the characters or the situation. Perhaps the authors were reflecting the characters’ immediate relationship but I found it disconcerting. I was hoping for some introduction, setting the scene, before Nick met Norah. However, after they met and got in Nick’s car, the pace slowed too much and it took ages for something else to happen.

Although the characters were quirky and at moments I did think they were cute or funny but generally I thought that Cohn and Levithan were trying so hard to make them edgy and cool that they overloaded the characters’ dialogue with obscure references which as a teenager I didn’t understand.

Overall, although some interesting ideas were explored and some sentences were really poetic, I generally did not enjoy this book. I found the style overly complex and difficult to read and the characters were a struggle to connect with.

2 stars.

How did you find this book? :)

-Molly

5.0 out of 5 stars A Delight, 13 Aug 2014
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Paperback)
I saw this film several years ago, and was distinctly underwhelmed. I came across the book recently and was intrigued to find it was co-written by David Levithan whose work I find interesting and very appealing, so I gave it a read.

It is a charming, quirky romance with none of the usual slushiness and over sentimentality. It has grit, it has humour, it has an off the wall approach to what constitutes romance and love, and it is a delight. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I love this new era of teen fiction where sexuality is complicated by the fact that anything goes, but love still wins out, and what seems to be so difficult, when it boils down to basics is the same the world over. Love will pretty much conquer all, whoever you happen to fall in love with.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quick read, 24 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Paperback)
Nick and Norah meet by chance in a club when Nick sees his ex girlfriend, Tris, walk in with her new boyfriend. Wanting to not look like the sad sap that is still hung up on her Nick asks Norah to be his ‘girlfriend’. One kiss leads them into a night of adventure.

I loved both Nick and Norah’s characters however they weren’t without their faults. Nick was very hung up on Tris throughout the book, which did get irritating and Norah seemed very fickle. It was their interaction with each other that I loved. They seemed to balance each other out. Norah appreciates his music and Nick appreciates her humour and you could see why these two would make a good couple.

At the beginning of the book I really disliked Tris and although I can’t say that I like her character there are points in the book where she behaves like a human being and I respect her for that.

I really enjoyed the fact that this was not an instant love story. The amount of twists and turns and changing emotions made me feel like it was a little more realistic than love at first sight. Even at the end of the book when they both seem to have gotten over their demons there is still the niggling questioning thoughts in Norah’s mind and I liked that. The realistic doubts of whether to take a chance on someone and getting hurt.

It was nice to read a book that was not afraid to let the main character swear however at times the cussing felt quite excessive and I did question whether or not it was necessary.

If you are looking to read a book that is fuelled on alcohol, stale oreos and sleep deprivation I would recommend Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist. However if you are offended by language I might give this one a miss.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Paperback)
One of the best books I have ever read, really didn't expect it to be this good, It's fab :D

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet story, 5 Jan 2014
I'd seen the film so decided to read the book. A nice story, not unlike the film. Throuraghly enjoyed it

4.0 out of 5 stars A quick, entertaining and witty read, 25 Sep 2013
D. Cotton "Voguedotcom" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist (Paperback)
This book has lingered near the top of my to-read pile for close to a year now, but I took my time in making the leap to actually picking it up. I don't know why, especially after I read and enjoyed Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by the same authors, earlier this year. It's a short read and sounded exactly like the kind of story I really enjoy. But all that matters not is that I have finally picked it up and read it. I'm so glad I did.

Seeing as it's so short (just shy of 200 pages), I read it in less than 24 hours, but I think, even if it had been longer, I would have read it just as fast.
The first chapter was pretty good, introducing the reader to Nick, but I wouldn't say that I really got pulled into the story until the end of the second chapter, when I had not only seen things through Nick's perspective for the first time, but also Norah's. It was immediately clear that the two characters were pretty similar to one another (both in personality and predicament), an I knew that the chemistry between them would not take long to show.
Both are music-obsessed; Nick is the bassist and only straight member of a 'queercore' band, and Norah, who is in the crowd at their gig at the beginning of the novel, happens to be the daughter of a rich and influential music producer. As a result, both characters talk about music a lot - sometimes I understood what and who they were on about, and sometimes I didn't (my musical knowledge does not extend very far) - but I found that, either way, my enjoyment of the book was not too badly affected. I think if I had greater knowledge of the music that was being discussed I may have gotten a little more out of the book, but I don't think, overall, that it made much difference at all. I mention this because, having spoken to other readers who are yet to read this book, this seemed to be a fairly large concern, but I'm here to say that even if, like me, you have a limited knowledge of all things musical, it's still more than possible to seriously enjoy this book.

As I said, I didn't think it would be too long until the chemistry between Nick and Norah began to show, and I was right on two counts. Neither character initially knows it, but the physical attraction is mutual from the first hasty kiss that begins their packed and unforgettable night together that spans the length of the novel. But it wasn't just a physical attraction that showed (initially from the characters' thoughts in their individual chapters), but also an intellectual, deeper attraction, that became increasingly obvious as the two of them talked and began to get to know each other. In fact, I would say that this attraction, for Norah, began almost as soon as she realised who he was, through mix tapes and song lyrics he'd created for his ex-girlfriend, Tris, who happens to be a kind-of0but-not-quite friend of Norah's.
I never quite got tot he point of feeling frustrated by the constant ups and downs of Nick and Norah's fledgling relationship because I was so utterly convinced that things were going to work out between them, so I decided to sit back and enjoy the ride, and enjoy it I did. The conversations between them were witty, humorous, sometimes profound and deep, and the situations they got in together were intense, and often laugh-out-loud hilarious (particularly towards the end - you'll know what I mean, if you've read it, or decide to). I enjoyed every moment of their rollercoaster relationship.

Aside from Nick and Norah, there was another character that I really feel I should mention. Obviously there are other characters in the book beside our leading couple, but most of them took a back seat, in my opinion. Apart from one; Nick's ex, Tris.
She starts out being an almost-antagonist, 'evil-ex' kind of figure - even Norah seemed to dislike her, and I was inclined to agree, from what I'd already seen through Nick's eyes. But as is sometimes the case, the male had misunderstood pretty much everything, and the female had purposefully confused. As the novel goes on, Tris' role in it evolves, and her final appearance really surprised me. It totally changed my opinion of her, and made her a much more interesting character.

The only reason I have not given Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist the full five star rating is because it did not have the unforgettable 'wow-factor', but I did really, really enjoy it. It was infinitely entertaining, witty, funny and compelling. The characters are intelligent, well-developed and loveable, and the prose is absorbing, clever and in places, beautiful.
This is a wonderful read, especially if what you're looking for is a quick, fun and uplifting story. I highly recommend it.

Originally written for my blog, Pen to Paper ([...])

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn (Paperback - 29 Sep 2007)
5.39