5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Purchase, 8 Jun 2013
Photojake (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Legacy: How Golden Books Won Children's Hearts, Changed Publishing Forever, and Became an American Icon Along the Way (Hardcover)
Such a wonderful book for anyone who likes illustration from this era... like myself. Check out my blog for more of the same http://www.fishinkblog.wordpress.com Lovely range of well chosen images and superb well researched info too.

5.0 out of 5 stars We don't forget our first books, 12 Jan 2008
Linda Bulger (United States) - See all my reviews
This is the most enchanting book I've had in my hands in a very long time. I was at a dinner party recently and GOLDEN LEGACY was on the coffee table -- for about thirty seconds. All evening it went from hand to hand, with squeals and sighs following it around the room. I had to have it.

The text is a fascinating history of Little Golden Books, first published in Racine, Wisconsin during the Second World War. What a visionary leap -- affordable quality books for children, with great production values and marketed everywhere. Yet the Western Publishing Company was originally a printing company; when they got stuck with railroad cars full of children's books due to a publisher's bankruptcy, the company sold them directly. The books sold well, the company directors were inspired to publish more, and the rest is history. You can read all about it if you buy this book, which is bound to be of interest to book collectors, readers interested in cultural history, and nostalgic baby boomers.

Just as absorbing as the text, the illustrations are an astonishing collection of history. If you ever had Little Golden Books, or bought them for a lucky child, you'll be sighing with happy recollections as you leaf through these pages. We don't forget our first books, and you'll see old favorites and smile at the memories they evoke.

GOLDEN LEGACY honors the 65th anniversary of Little Golden Books, and I recommend it to anyone whose love of books was fostered by a collection of these 25 cent treasures.

Linda Bulger, 2008