on 16 June 1999
In my opinion, this book is best appreciated by children who are about three years of age and older. The text is just long enough to challenge the attention span while still maintaining the interest of three-year-olds. Children enjoy smelling the same things that Little Bunny smells as he learns to explore his environment by "following his nose": a rose in the field, the strawberry jam Mouse's mother is making, pine needles in the forest, a peach in the orchard, a dill pickle made by Mother Raccoon. Children are reassured by the fact that, although Little Bunny is exploring far and wide, he encounters a friend in each setting. Little Bunny's nose eventually leads him back to his own house where his mother has been baking chocolate mint cookies. A special bed-time treat in our house is to read this book and enjoy "four chocolate mint (Girl Scout) cookies" just like Little Bunny.
This book was one of my favorites as a child. My sister and I read it so often that we wore away several of the scratch-and-sniff stickers. Remembering my fondness for this book, I purchased it for my own children. I am pleased to say that this is now one of my children's favorite books, too. I recommend it highly.
I finally realised my old original copy of this, from my own childhood in the seventies, was overdue for replacement when there was more sellotape than book, and was delighted to find it in print again. So I bought it to read to my own daughter (nearly 3).

I vividly remember the illustrations and the scratch and sniff pages, and they are just as wonderful second time around. The text is Americanised though ('Mommy' not 'Mummy') and the racoons and dill pickle are surely new additions.

My daughter seems to love it as much as I did, although looking at it through adult eyes, it doesn't seem so instantly appealing as, say, Julia Donaldson's books etc. Who knows what little triggers appeal to small children? Maybe it is just the scratch and sniff? Whatever it is, this is a lovely book, and for we sentimental mummies, it feels like completing a circle of life...
on 8 April 2012
I am sadly not very impressed with this book, the majority of the scratch and sniff stickers don't smell. The story is nice and illustrations good but my son is visually impared so this was bought specifically for the smells and has dissapointed. I have had better sucess with DK scratch and sniff books which have the benefit for being hard back and stronger smelling, though they do not have such a good story line.
on 17 March 2013
The scents are remarkably realistic. My daughter was reminded of her childhood book and delighted that she could share similar story and experience with her daughter. Her own book was still scented years later despite being scratched used by a subsequent sibling.
on 4 October 2009
I ordered this book, because when my children were small I read and read this over and over again, every night. They loved it. The book got tatty so I order another. Great Book. Well recommended.
on 31 August 2011
The smell lasted for just 1 week on this book. Book itself is great for kids but again why buy a scratch and sniff book when the smell doesn't last more than a week?
on 13 October 2009
My 4 year old daughter loves it, although it has almost no smell at all. The pictures and the story are very cute, though.
on 20 October 2014
A really good scratch & sniff book. I bought a few scratch & sniff books & this is by far the best