on 6 June 1999
This book and If On A Winter's Night A Traveler sit next to each other amiably on my desk. (I have to check sometimes to make sure they aren't REALLY nudging each other and giggling when no one's looking.) Never has the physical act of reading a text been so hilariously rendered - nor so visually. And the biggest surprise, as the reader gets ever nearer the terrible Monster at the end of the book (against loveable furry ol' Grover's increasingly frantic advice), is surely ... well, that would be telling. But let's just say that the motion of Time - which whirls a kid from one change to the next in all other contexts of her life - is, while she reads this book, put into HER control to an unparalleled degree. And while the child sees herself collaborating - ambivalently but irresistably - with the destructiveness of Time, the end result is revelation, not loss. What greater gift of myth could we give to a child?
on 20 February 1998
This was one of the few books I refused to give to my younger brother when he took over my Little Golden Book library. I have the original copy from when I was a child and it only cost $.89! When I met my (now) husband I made him read it to me over and over, voices and all. We both love it. You're never too old to appreciate this book.
on 2 March 2003
I remember this book with great fondness. I didn't actually own it myself but made every trip to the local doctor's surgery more pleasant for me. Every time I went there I would read this book!
On every page Grover keeps warning the reader that there's a monster at the end of the book and he tries to stop you from turning the page. Of course, you don't listen to Grover and there's a surprise at the end of the book!
on 9 January 1998
This is the greatest book ever. My parents read it to me when I was a child. Every night I had to have it read to me. It was the first book I learned to read. Unfortunatly my Mom had to throw it away because it was so worn. For years I looked for this book. I finally gave up a few years ago. Well, a couple of weeks ago I found a copy in my cousin's toy box! I was so excited I decided to look for it again. Now I've found it. I would reccommend this book for every child (and even a few adults) It is a wonderful story with a wonderful surprise ending
on 26 April 2010
This is a lovely book with Elmo and Grover, the follow up to 'A Monster At The End Of This Book'-Starring Grover. The original book is Sesame Streets bestest selling book, and I can see why. They are both a lovely read,great for bedtime reading with big writing in cartoonlike 'bubbles' My Daughter loves it as it has Elmo in it, so a 'Must' for Elmo fans out there!
on 28 November 1997
This is an absolutely delightful book!!
We gave this to our son for his 6th birthday 19 years ago. The book became almost threadbare as he read it over and over. My husband and I loved it right along with him.
He and his wife are now expecting their first baby and he has been telling her how this has been one of his very favorite books ever.
This is going to be our FIRST gift to our FIRST grandchild in-utero so Mommy and Daddy can share it with their child.
on 22 December 2015
This was my favourite book growing up and I have no doubt my daughter will love it just as much. Even reading it now as an adult (of course getting very very animated as Grover would) I find myself laughing as i go. It is so sweet and funny and I cannot imagine anyone regretting purchasing this book.
I actually buy this and "There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly" as birthday/christmas/just because gifts for friends with young children.
on 27 April 1998
I don't remember who exactly gave me this book, but I made my parents read it over and over to me every night when I was 4 years old. That was 17 years ago. I knew it so well that I memorized each page and I would recite it for my parents. That was the first book I ever read. I'm so happy that I have finally found it after all these years. A definite MUST in your child's library!
on 17 April 2012
another monster at the end of this book????? nooooo ..... !!!! as with the monster at the end of this book, this is very funny, and my little boy just has to trun the page to find "the other monster at the end of this book" .... and it also has him chuckling. a must buy if buying the first one - the monster at the end of this book - for nursery aged children.
on 17 April 2012
all 3 of my kids have had this book. my oldest 2 children, now 13 and 9 years old, first knew of this when it was sent to them from a friend in america! now my little boy loves it too, and JUST HAS To "turn another page" and find "the monster at the end of this book" .... a must buy for all nursery aged children!