5.0 out of 5 stars Italo Calvino would have loved this book.
Published on 6 Jun 1999

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok
It was ok but it should read itself to us for little kids but a good book to read to yourself
Published 20 months ago by Naomi

5.0 out of 5 stars Italo Calvino would have loved this book., 6 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This book and If On A Winter's Night A Traveler sit next to each other amiably on my desk. (I have to check sometimes to make sure they aren't REALLY nudging each other and giggling when no one's looking.) Never has the physical act of reading a text been so hilariously rendered - nor so visually. And the biggest surprise, as the reader gets ever nearer the terrible Monster at the end of the book (against loveable furry ol' Grover's increasingly frantic advice), is surely ... well, that would be telling. But let's just say that the motion of Time - which whirls a kid from one change to the next in all other contexts of her life - is, while she reads this book, put into HER control to an unparalleled degree. And while the child sees herself collaborating - ambivalently but irresistably - with the destructiveness of Time, the end result is revelation, not loss. What greater gift of myth could we give to a child?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely for ALL Ages, 20 Feb 1998
By A Customer
This was one of the few books I refused to give to my younger brother when he took over my Little Golden Book library. I have the original copy from when I was a child and it only cost $.89! When I met my (now) husband I made him read it to me over and over, voices and all. We both love it. You're never too old to appreciate this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great kid's book, 2 Mar 2003
K. Hands "knitty kitty" (Carlisle, England) - See all my reviews
I remember this book with great fondness. I didn't actually own it myself but made every trip to the local doctor's surgery more pleasant for me. Every time I went there I would read this book!
On every page Grover keeps warning the reader that there's a monster at the end of the book and he tries to stop you from turning the page. Of course, you don't listen to Grover and there's a surprise at the end of the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars There's a Monster at the End of this Book, 9 Jan 1998
By A Customer
This is the greatest book ever. My parents read it to me when I was a child. Every night I had to have it read to me. It was the first book I learned to read. Unfortunatly my Mom had to throw it away because it was so worn. For years I looked for this book. I finally gave up a few years ago. Well, a couple of weeks ago I found a copy in my cousin's toy box! I was so excited I decided to look for it again. Now I've found it. I would reccommend this book for every child (and even a few adults) It is a wonderful story with a wonderful surprise ending

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT BOOK !, 28 Nov 1997
By A Customer
This is an absolutely delightful book!!
We gave this to our son for his 6th birthday 19 years ago. The book became almost threadbare as he read it over and over. My husband and I loved it right along with him.
He and his wife are now expecting their first baby and he has been telling her how this has been one of his very favorite books ever.
This is going to be our FIRST gift to our FIRST grandchild in-utero so Mommy and Daddy can share it with their child.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best book that I'll never forget!!!!!!!!!!, 27 April 1998
By A Customer
I don't remember who exactly gave me this book, but I made my parents read it over and over to me every night when I was 4 years old. That was 17 years ago. I knew it so well that I memorized each page and I would recite it for my parents. That was the first book I ever read. I'm so happy that I have finally found it after all these years. A definite MUST in your child's library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love it, 22 Jun 2014
This book is brilliant, my kids know it by heart now but still laugh at every page and never tire of hearing it. Great little addiction to a ny collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great little book, 5 Aug 2013
So pleased this book has re-appeared. It has lost none of its original appeal and I will probably be re-ordering it for more children in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street), 17 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Monster at the End of This Book (Sesame Street) (Big Bird's Favorites Board Books) (Board book)
this book is a belter. my 5 year olds read it over and over themselves. what a hoot! highly recommended

1.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 4 Jan 2013