Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 September 1998
I found Bulfinch's in our school library when I was in the 4th grade, eleven years old. My mother had to go before the school board to gain permission for me to check it out. Even then, I was not allowed to have the book at school! The pictures and stories, in the board's mind, were too titillating for the other 4th graders. Thank God for my mother. I found a world I never knew existed, full of fantasy and beauty. The strife and conniving natures of both gods and mortals captivated me. The stories of the Greek and Roman myths were my favorites, and cultivated in me a love for both cultures. And as for the titillating parts, well, I promise you that General Hospital is far worse for 4th graders than Bulfinch's will ever be.
on 12 March 1999
This is one of the most incredible books that anyone could ever own. Whether it be for a child, middle schooler, or adult, it has the ability to enhance imagination and inspire creative genius. It is a true shame that these stories aren't as well appreciated as they were in times such as the Elizabethan and Victorian ages. These stories have inspired poets, playwrights, novelists, and the non-literati as well. There is no possibility of considering oneself as a true intellectual without first understanding these legendary tales. Don't sell yourself short of owning this book. A must buy!!!
on 20 December 2009
I bought this book to replace one I have had for many years which has now fallen apart. This replacement book has a lot more than the old one which pretty much concentrated on Greek and Roman mythologies. This book is still the standard text in my opinion. Whether the material quality of the book will stand the test of time remains to be seen, but I suspect not. When it does fall apart however I will buy another.
on 20 January 2015
As a person who's struggling to write a novel, but seeking inspiration from history - both recent and ancient, Thomas Bullfinch's work comes as a surprise inspiration. The language and tone of the book is in the form of mini-stories laced with some general opinion and connectives to modern opinion without losing the sense of engrossment a set of short stories might propose. I'm only some several chapters in, but I love it.

Great for anyone who fell asleep whenever the subject of Greek / Roman mythologies came up in school, but has now found a deep resounding regret and wishes to recoup and revive their fragmented knowledge.
on 3 April 1998
Even after several readings, this old classic never loses it's lustre.
Why not invest a taudry amount and append a great anthology to your library?
From the Greek and Roman gods to King Author to Charlemagne, this has got it all!
If you own only one book on the subject of mythology, this should be the one.
on 18 August 2013
Came in great condition and was delivered quicker than I expected. The book is filled with so many enthralling stories, it's sure to keep you busy for a long time.
on 4 September 2015
All my favourite childhood stories but the real" stories and beautifully told.
on 5 September 2014
Good book, timely delivery
on 17 September 2014
Bought for a family member
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse