on 10 March 1999
This book was the answer to my prayers ever since I discovered there was a reason for my bad tempers, breast pain, short cycles and weird periods: perimenopause! Plant estrogens really do work, and now I'm a nice person again. Nina lays it out for you why some estrogens (such as are in HRT) may have negative effects while others (such as are found in soy and flaxseed) appear to have all the benefits with none of the side effects. It's worth the price of the book for this information alone. On the other hand, Nina admits she doesn't like soy and I think her recipes reflect it. A food that does us so much good should be honored instead of disparaged--soy should be a joy instead of a chore! There are lots of good soy-food cookbooks out there; two that come to mind are "The Whole Soy Cookbook" by Patricia Greenberg and "Tofu Cookery" by Louise Hagler. C'mon get happy--say goodbye to menopausal symptoms and HELLO to health.
on 19 June 1998
I've always considered myself a respectable researcher when it comes to responsibility for my own health, but Shandler leaves me in the dust. Bless her for it, too! She's written a personable, very readable, and invaluable book. She's outlined the research and given us the benefit of her hundreds (or more?)of hours spent on the task. Then she's created amazingly fast, easy, and nutritionally sound recipes that are truly yummy. She's even been thoughtful for the whole family: the main dishes aren't estrogen power houses (No, your husband's voice will not be falsetto -- but he will have very necessary nutritional prostate protection) but there are plenty of easy and delicious snack and breakfast food for the sexy crones in the family.
Do yourself a favor and add this keeper to your shelf ASAP.
Thank you, Nina, for a job well done just when I desperately needed it.
on 13 June 1998
I was at a loss to find a "natural" solution to my menopause problems. Hot flashes signaled that my body was indeed changing. Howevever,I have been involved with the medical profession long enough to know that I was not a "believer" in the current trend of estorgen supplements... I do not have cancer in my family, and didn't want to be the first! When I stumbled upon this well written and well documeted treasure, I decided to try the diet. I experienced relief within one week. What more can I say? I must stick with it though, or as the author notes, the symptoms re-appear. I am not a strict vegetatian, but do like tofu, so that was not a problem. My husband loves tofu and veggies and can tolerate the flaxseed quite well. I, on the other hand, had to devise my own ways of incorporating the soy into my diet. I like the packaged soy milk that is flavored. 2 glasses a day ( 8 oz.) keeps the hot-flashes away!!! Also, I found that Eden and Wastbrae sell Black Soy Beans. With some seasoning added, it tastes wonderful - can't tell the difference from regular black beans. I don' know if it has the same properties as the yellow ones, but the label advertising says they are much less in fat and easier to digest. I agree!! Why more women don't know about this natural way of dealing with menopause, I don't know... I hope it gets more advertising!! GREAT JOB!!
on 22 December 1998
I've been eating according to her chart for a year now. Since I feel so much better when I follow her recommendations, it keeps getting easier to stick with it. Most of the recipes are for busy people like me. The flax seed is high fiber which is an added plus. Tofu is an ingredient, like flour. You'd never eat it by itself. What insight!
on 2 August 1998
Thank you, Nina, for my joy in life again. I've just started to add flaxseed and tofu into various spots in my life and already I wake up with more energy than I've had in a long time.
You've presented not only theory, but great hints and actual practice. And honest reviews of the soy products.
Can't I give this book more than 5 stars?
on 1 February 1999
congratulations. this book's a excelent alternative in the postmenopause, is necesary for the comunity.