Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 1999
How refreshing to enjoy a realistic approach to cooking for one! Ingredients used throughout the cookbook are those that the average person has on hand, unlike most cookbooks on the market. In the rare event that a special ingredient is called for, an explanation is provided on how to shop for the ingredient and how to store it for maximum shelf life. Realistic freezer space is also considered, which gives this book an edge over others.
I greatly appreciate the modifications at the end of many recipes indicating what other ingredients may be substituted effectively (eg: to use chicken instead of shrimp, do this...). To me, learning a cooking technique has become more valuable after reading this book than simply memorizing a recipe. Offered suggestions for modifications illustrates the intention of each recipe (the specific process used, if you will). People say that cooking is not a mystery; it is simply a skill acquired through learning a few cooking methods and adjusting them creatively. This book helped me learn the basics so I can Finally begin to do my own exploring.
I have searched for years for a practical cookbook such as this. Since I began experimenting with recipes found in this text, my friends absolutely rave about my cooking! And for me, I have found myself declining invitations for fast food or pizza in favor of trying a new recipe in my own kitchen using a few leftovers from the previous day. I'm eating healthier, losing weight, and saving money. What could be better? Thank you for this book! Bravo!
0Comment|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2009
Very useful as so many cookery books cater for 4 or more people and recipes do not always turn out as good if you try to reduce the ingredients. This book just caters for one. Recipes are easy to follow and turn out really well. Very pleased.
on 24 April 2010
Brilliant book! Easy, but very tasty recipes. I love the idea that every recipe has a variation, which is great if you're short of something or don't like a particular ingredient in the original recipe. Most of the recipes are very quick to prepare. A must have for all the singletons who love home made meals.
on 29 October 2010
I have been looking for this type of cookery book for ages for a friend who lives on his own and has got bored with what he cooks. I saw this book, read the reviews, and it is just what my friend is looking for to cheer up his cookery, increase his health and enjoyment of his food, and his general feel good factor.
on 9 January 2013
I do prefer my recipe books to have a picture of the recipe I'm trying to reproduce - this one doesn't. However, I've kept the book so that I can take time to read it through and maybe pickup on some tips.
on 19 August 2011
I bought this for a friend who is just learning to cook for himself, and having read other people's reviews decided it would be a good starter book. Nowhere however did I see that it's actually an American book so all of the measurements are in cups and other USA equivalents which is not easy to translate when you're starting out. It also features lots of American ingredients and has a lot of recipes which I would never suggest for a beginner. If you are quite competant in the kitchen and don't mind having to adapt recipes to metric then I'm sure it woulod be qite good. I sent it back.
on 21 December 2011
I didn't find this good at all. It was a very confusing book, with lots of contradicting advice.. Also delivery was late after waiting in for 2 days.. Not impressed.