5.0 out of 5 stars Years pass by, but do things change?
It might seem an odd choice to review a book coming up ten years old, but this has been sitting on my shelf gathering dust, and as it is the only Grisham book I haven't read, I decided to dip into it while I waited for the new Lee Child to come out. I'm glad I did.

It tells the story of Michael Brock, Corporate Lawyer earning big bucks, pretty wife, fast lane...
Published on 30 Mar. 2007 by David Carter

1.0 out of 5 stars A let down
Just not interesting! After having read the Theodore Boone books which were okay, but not wrapped-up properly, I decided to give one of Grisham's adult books a go. After all, he seems like a very popular writer and although the Theodore Boone stories were a bit disappointing I decide that his popularity would probably be for his adult fiction - perhaps he just wasn't that...
Published 16 days ago by Bookworm

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well written story. Grisham draws you in, 11 May 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Very well written story. Grisham draws you into involvement with the key character without you noticing. The book is subtle enough to really enjoy, and hard hitting enough to have you questioning yourself. A very enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Challenging & Uplifting, 10 April 2013
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
'The Street Lawyer' stands out as one of my favourite modern novels. The story keeps you engaged the whole time, while challenging you into wondering if your own life is as egocentric and shallow as the main character. The shock of the beginning of the story leads him into examining the very foundations of the life he's living, as, you might have guessed from it being a Grisham, a lawyer. The book manages easily to refrain from becoming preachy or self-righteous, but still brings really good questions, from an unexpected source.

I recommend this book for everyone. It's an exciting read, and doesn't leave you feeling like you've wasted your time by reading it, or cynical and as if there is no hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars We need more Grishams, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Kindle Edition)
John Grisham can always be relied upon to leave his readers feeling slightly more hopeful for the state of humankind. This book, perhaps even more than his others, explores the way in which anybody with real conviction - even lawyers who are locked in a money-orientated profession - can make a positive difference to the lives of others. The story, which deals with the terrible state of homelessness in the USA, explores the conscience of one young man and how one shocking event can tip that conscience from selfishness to genuine care for others. I particularly love the ending of this book....... I just wish this was fact and not fiction.

4.0 out of 5 stars Food for Thought, 16 Aug. 2006
G. M. Buchanan "Page marker" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Having read most of John Grishams books I would say that this book is probably more close to reality then any of his other work.Although I hasten to add that I have enjoyed nearly all his other work. I felt after reading this book that it was actually based on a true incident in his life. This is a story that shows the glitter of top society in America and also shows the messy underbelly of America that a lot of people will not admit is part of American life.A book that we should all read,and then, thank our own particular God that we had the money to buy the book and somewhere nice and cosy to sit and read it. A lot of our fellow human beings don't have that luxury. This book brings that home to you.

4.0 out of 5 stars A typical Grisham Novel, 30 Sept. 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Hardcover)
For anyone who has read any of John Grisham before, this book may well seem like more of the same, which of course is absolutely fine, if you liked reading his previous novels. The book is a little slow to get started, but once you get into it, it really does keep you wanting to turn the pages. All of the characters are very easy to relate to, if a little cliched. To summarise, if you're a fan of John Grisham, then this book certainly won't let you down. Equally so, if you've never read any of his other books, you will probably still enjoy this one. However, if you were looking for anything new or original, then look again, because this book certainly is not for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Page Turner, 26 July 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
I have read many of Grishams Books and I usually read them quite slowly - over a month or 2 - but this one along with the rainmaker I just could not put down. I would pick it up when I got in to bed and not put it down to the early hours of the morning and I would then pick it up again as soon as I woke up. It was finished in a week. I can see the reasons behind other comments on the page, but I just fiound it Superb

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener into the world of homeless..., 14 Sept. 2011
S. MOHAMADI (London,SW) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
Following The Firm this was the second novel I read by Grisham. It is smaller and not as engaging as the firm but still interesting and an eye opener into the world of homeless. By the end of the book I had a better understanding of homeless people and the way they see the world. Grisham has given them a voice in this novel and its worth reading it and understand their way of life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic Grisham......Lawyer comes good, 17 Mar. 1999
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
This is one of Grishams best about a big money lawyer that "see's the light" after a near death experience. He decides to leave the big firm and help the homeless, uncovering a nasty truth in the process....Nobody keeps the pages turning like Grisham and this one is no exception. One of the best, on par with The Partner but Rainmaker is still No.1.

4.0 out of 5 stars the street lawyer john grisham, 4 Oct. 2013
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Kindle Edition)
a real page turner and very thought provoking puts the things we worry about into prospective .maybe next time we see a homeless person we can not just overlook them but try to see that circumstances can lead them into habits which we may frown on from the outside but we cant know for sure what they have gone through and what has lead them to do what they do

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book but in a disgusting condition., 10 April 2015
This review is from: The Street Lawyer (Paperback)
The book was a well written, captivating page turner typical of John Grisham and delivery speedy. However despite the condition of the book being listed a good. it was in fact sticky on the cover with what appears to be tea stains all over the insides pretty much in a nasty condition, had to read it with plastic gloves on!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 39 | Next ›

The Street Lawyer (Random House Large Print)
The Street Lawyer (Random House Large Print) by John Grisham (Hardcover - 3 Sept. 2005)
Used & New from: £4.17