4.0 out of 5 stars Anne Rice does not disapoint
Where as this is not her greatest of books it is still a very fine read that puts you back in touch with many of your favourite characters from both the Vampire Chronicles and Mayfair Witches series. Some say Anne Rice is not on top form anymore, well I agree to a lesser degree perhaps some of her earlier books are superior but I still think this book is engaging and a...
Published on 1 Nov 2004 by Mr. C. J. Thorpe

1.0 out of 5 stars If anything, it's not even worth one star...
First off, can I just say that I adored the Vampire Chronicles up until Blackwood Farm came out. Even the smaller, minor-character-focused books were good in their own way. I loved Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, even Memnoch the Devil... But not this one.
Why?
Published on 3 Jun 2009 by Alivet

1.0 out of 5 stars If anything, it's not even worth one star..., 3 Jun 2009
Why?
* The plot. While there is some semblance of a plot in this novel, it's not really good enough to warrant a novel being written about it. Lestat is back, he has new vampire minions (who happen to be huge brats, and not in the way that Lestat was once called a brat by Marius), and the Mayfair family have brought their Taltos problems into the Vampire Chronicles. So what?
* The characters. Quinn was bearable. I read Blackwood Farm and didn't hate it completely, even though the Mayfairs were a part of it. And I even thought Mona was okay in the Mayfair series. But in this...Quinn and Mona turn into spoilt children. Mona becomes a shrieking, crying, spoilt brat, and Quinn will do anything she says. Not only that, but Lestat is virtually unrecognisable. He's turned to religion (much like Anne Rice herself) and wants to be a saint. He wants to be good. This is not Lestat. I loved Lestat as a character because of the arrogance, the good at being bad, the underneath-it-all I'm a good guy kind of thing, you know? Lestat wasn't perfect. He was a vampire, but we learnt to love him and sympathise with him. Now he wants to be human again. He wants to be a saint.
* The closure. I ask here: what closure? This is not closure. Not only does it make a mockery of all the previous vampire chronicles, but it makes a mockery of the Mayfair Trilogy as well. Tying two of your beloved series together to make a quick ending for them both is not a good idea. I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and bought the book anyway. I was wrong. It's not closure even in the smallest sense of the word. Where are the rest of the vampires we've come to love? Louis, Armand, Marius, Pandora, Maharet, David... What happened to Louis and David after the events of Blackwood Farm? Did Armand and Marius remain friends after the events at the end of The Vampire Armand? Do Marius and Pandora remain together after Blood & Gold? What happened to Thorne and Maharet and Mekare? None of these questions are answered. Not a single one. Not only that, but I personally thought that the Mayfair Trilogy worked well as it was, and didn't need loose ends tying up. We didn't need to know the whole tragic ending of the Taltos that got away. We didn't need to know that Rowan was tired and disillusioned and unhappy with her life (and love). It had a sort of happy ending in Taltos, and now we are left with a tragic one (in every sense of the word).
So, if you were to ask me whether I would recommend the book or not, I would have to say "NO!" Read Blackwood Farm if you really must, but just leave Blood Canticle alone. It doesn't have a plot, the characters are butchered, it DID need some serious editing (despite what Ms Rice says to the contrary, every author should have an editor - constructive cricitism helps even the most genius authors), and it did not offer closure.
End of story.

2.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 20 Dec 2004
I've always enjoyed reading Anne Rice's books. I've never expected literary genius, but what I have wanted - and usually got - is a good storyline, fun characterisation, and some dark, sexy New Orleans atmosphere. However, in recent years Rice's books have been something of a disappointment, and this is no exception.
The characterisation of Lestat is truly bizarre. I mean, really, really bizarre. At times it was hard to read because I was thinking "this is just not Lestat!" He uses cheesy slang and was quite irritating, whilst the Lestat from earlier novels is cocky and occasionally obnoxious, but not annoying. I really think that Rice has lost touch with this character, and it would have been better for her to have had a different narrator altogether. In addition, I've never really understood why Rice presents Rowan Mayfair to be so interesting. Yes, she's a cold genius... But that's about it. I think we're meant to believe her to have lots of inner turmoil, but it isn't presented convincingly.
However, it gets more than 1 star because it does have some good points. It was nice to see the Taltos back again, as I enjoyed the Lasher novels, and the plot is fairly tight. Michael Mayfair as usual wins my sympathy, and Mona is more likeable now she's a vampire.

1.0 out of 5 stars argh!, 8 Aug 2007
I love love the vampire chronicals i wanna get that clear before i start,
but i have to say this is by far the worst thing I've read in a LONG time.
i read the bad reviews and thought i would give it a shot anyway (who cares what other people think eh?)
from start to finish nothing really happens, it follows a very linear plot with characters who have changed so dramatically since the last installments that it feels like we are reading somthing from a new author.
the love affair between Rowan and Lestat is SO forced that i was wincing in pain all the way through reading it.
Also as far as an ending is concerned as this is that "last" chronicle i was expecting somthing final, definative not an abrupt unconclusive ending that leaves more questions than it ever answered.
I'm just so disapointed that an author i respect soooo much and who's work continues to bring me many hours of happiness could write something that is below her own standards of perfection.
All i can say is i hope that Anne is inspired to write a further chronicle to redeem this unsatisfactory effort
(sooooo sorry for not posting a nice review.)
kevin

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrific (but not in the way intended!), 12 Dec 2004
By A Customer
I had read many bad reviews of Blood Canticle, but being a huge Ann Rice fan decided to buy the paperback as I thought it surely couldn't be as bad as that!
How wrong I was! This book is basically unreadable. The returning characters are behaving in un-character like ways, the plot (if there is one) is turgid and the style of writing just annoyed me. For lovers of the Vampire Chronicles, to hear Lestat say phrases like 'Yo!' and 'Cool!' just sends shivers down the spine.
This book has the feel that it has been ghost written as all of Ann Rice's usual magic is missing.
Avoid!

1.0 out of 5 stars When does the plot kick in?, 23 Jan 2005
I've read plenty of review for this book and they've all told me that it's awful. But nether the less I decided to read it despite so that I could make up my mind.
Sadly all the reviews were rite.
This story lacks a plot. I read the thing in 2 nights waiting for the plot to kick in and then the book ended.
It's an appalling mockery of the former glory reached with Interview with a Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and Queen of the Damned.
Like one of the other reviewers says - AVOID! Avoid like the plague.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody bad Canticle, 21 Feb 2012
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Anne Rice has written some stinkers in her time -- "Memnoch the Devil," "Servant of the Bones" and "Violin" amongst them. But for sheer disappointment, it would be hard for her to top "Blood Canticle," the not-so-grand finale of her classic Vampire Chronicles series. It wraps up both the Vampire and Witch series not with a bang, but with a slow squeaky whimper.

The book actually starts with Lestat's fantasy about being a saint. Yes, Lestat now fantasizes about being like Saint Juan Diego and chatting with the Pope. This comes out of nowhere, and is merely an opportunity for Rice to tell us that we're all stupid shallow ingrates for not liking "Memnoch the Devil."

Then we switch off to where "Blackwood Farm" ended. The dying Mona Mayfair has come to Blackwood Farm to expire, but Lestat decides to make her into a vampire because.... well, otherwise Quinn will be sad. But while she's transforming, Rowan Mayfair arrives to pick up her young cousin and Lestat has to keep her from finding out what he's done. Also, Rowan and Lestat fall in love. Seriously.

Lestat takes the two younger vampires under his wing, and shows the newly powerful Mona how to maneuver the world as a vampire. But her new life also revives Mona's interest in her old one -- specifically in the Taltos child she bore some years before, which triggered the disease that almost killed her. So the trio sets out to find out if the Taltos are still around.

I'll be frank: "Blood Canticle" reads like fanfiction. Lestat falling in True Love with Rowan Mayfair? Lestat playing vampire dad to teen vampire lovers? Lestat's obsession with sainthood? Lestat having a midlife crisis (judging from his slang)? A thriller-like expedition to find the Taltos? This whole disaster sounds like a C-grade Vampire Chronicles fanfic!

Sadly, not even Rice's trademark lush, atmospheric writing can save this hokey mess of a plot -- her prose seems limp and colorless, like a stalk of wilting celery. She also seems to be trying to wrap the whole mess up as quickly as possible, since it's basically about Lestat being told where the Taltos are and a quick trip there. It seems like she's utterly tired of the Vampire Chronicles and just wants it over and done with.

She also seems to want the vampires themselves over and done with. Pretty much no beloved character except Lestat appear -- Maharet only communicates via email, Louis and Marius are only mentioned, and Rowan appears just so she can fall in Twilight-like instant love with Lestat. The only vampires who appear other than Lestat are... well, Quinn and Mona. Whee. So happy.

And Lestat does not resemble the wild, brilliant, charming vampire that appeared in the previous books. This guy seems more like a middle-aged rich guy who's having a midlife crisis -- using slang, hanging out with the "kids," getting a crush on a random woman, getting befuddled by technology, and so on.

"Blood Canticle" is a sad, shameful ending for what was once a wonderful (or at least decent) vampire series -- a damp, sputtering creature that drifts away from its own lack of substance. Just finish the series at "Queen of the Damned."

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you Anne Rice for publishing this rubbish, 30 Aug 2009
I can't belive this trash was actually printed under Anne Rice's name... there is no way this was actually written by her. I wonder if she even bothered to read it before it was published..
There is no plot its just a clumsy way of getting rid of all the lose ends after Taltos and Blackwood Farm.
It brushes the Taltos firmly back under the carpet.. Lestat is a joke in this book. Someone actually modeled this Lestat after the actor in the Queen of the Damned. Rubbish version of a great book. sigh... but this book is awful.
There is none of the sense of history normal in an Anne Rice novel.. And she or the ghost writter even complain about the reception of Memnoch the Devil in the first useless chapter of this book.. I actually skipped to the next chapter rather than waste time reading through the rubbish in the first few pages.. Yeah great start.
To the publisher ... were you so desperate to print another book you didn't care what was in it... this is infantile compared to the real deal we all love..
What a con and a disappointment.

2.0 out of 5 stars I miss Lestat..., 4 Nov 2003
Amanda Pike (Bellmore, New York) - See all my reviews
  Of course I will always love Interview with The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and The Queen of the damned. But many Anne Rice fans agree they go down hill from there. There are certain circles that refer to the previously mentioned first three vampire chronicles as the ONLY vampire Chronicles. All the rest come off like fan fictions from some other person.
Nothing done now can change what had been.  The Interview with the vampire is still the interview with the vampire.  The Vampire Lestat is still The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the damned is still The Queen of the damned.  I just pretend it's 1989 and the others were not published yet.  They did not happen.
        Lestat, in my mind, is still a rebel, still a brat, still mischievous, still questions things, still fearless, still angst driven, still a fighter, and still perseverent.  He's still riding around on his Harley, hunting down his killers and falling in love with the world.  He's still an optimist (He has a pessimistic view of humanity in Blood Canticle.)  He still views society today as an age of innocence and he's still my Lestat.  All the rest...  to me.. They're just fan fictions.
       I wish Anne Rice had done a book that she once hinted about wanting to do years ago- the idea of the vampires being found out by some mortals and possibly captured and studies and then the escape...  Lestat talks about this idea in The Vampire Lestat.  That could have been a great novel, especially with our proud and defiant Lestat.  This conformist, prude, depthless, two-dimensional Lestat would fold under that pressure but the Lestat I know would not.  The first three vampire chronicles- that's my Lestat.  That will always be my Lestat and no one can take that away from me.
I miss Lestat. Lestat in Blood Canticle is whining. And he's become a conformist. He's now a hard-core Catholic who questions nothing, a cold hypocrite, a misogynist, a prude, and pessimist. This is not our Lestat! Our Lestat was a brat. Our Lestat questioned things. Our Lestat was always a rebel. Changing his personality this abruptly is like saying he now has blue hair and orange eyes. The angst is gone. The fearless soul that could never be oppressed is gone. I did not love the fangs or the blonde hair. I loved his personality. I related to Lestat, not the vampire! She's forgotten who Lestat was. Lestat used to see this world as an age of secular innocence where evil doers were scarce. And now he says there are many in the cities who deserve the vampire's kiss. He's become depthless (if he had much depth to begin with.) He's become two-dimensional. He's hunting down rogues and rule breaker vampires! He is a rogue and rule breaker! I want Lestat, I don't want Angel from Buffy The Vampire Slayer!
I want Lestat the way he was meant to be. If Anne Rice needed a new character to express her obsession and new-found conformist mentality she should have used ANYONE but The Brat Prince to express it! I think this book disappointed every Anne Rice fan, everywhere, one way or another.
What happened to our man of action? Where's The James Bond of the Vampires? My God! In these later novels the character himself can't even get his own age right. He keeps saying he was twenty, he was twenty-one as a mortal when he killed the wolves so how could he appear twenty now?
I know I'm being harsh but Anne calls this maturing for Lestat. Being mature does not mean clinging desperately to something without question. Being mature does not mean becoming sexist with fashion, and seeing evil everywhere where he once was in love with the goodness in society. Lestat was a brat but he had faith in goodness. Now he doesn't seem to have that faith. His real and pure faith has been replaced by something superficial, something dark. And the restless spirit, the angst driven rebel, the one who could not be dominated... Our beloved antagonist, he's gone.... I don't know who this creature is who is narrating the story but it's not our Lestat.
I'll always love the first three vampire chronicles, Interview with The Vampire, The Vampire Lestat and The queen of the damned. By my advice to anyone just starting, don't go any further than that. Tale of the body thief is good for comic relief if you have a dark sense of humour but that's about it.
I take comfort now in the novel that I fell in love with. The Vampire Lestat.

1.0 out of 5 stars that this was an intelligent, mysterious, 22 Aug 2014
the anne rice vampire books,
were similar to the aisen character,
in the bleach anime.

at first,
there was all the promise in the world,
that this was an intelligent,
mysterious,
and powerful character.

someone who was supposidly unkillable,
because of certain leverages that he commanded.

no one could even guess what would have to happen,
to make him killable.
it was like a supreme puzzle,
and the reward for solving the puzzle,
was little different,
than the idea of killing god.

but the creator/s of the material,
dragged the show on for years and years,
trying to maintain the promise,
of an unimaginably rewarding confrontation,
between aisen and the main characters.

only for the final confrontation to be
weak,
flat,
simplistic,
and to not even making much sense,
according to what was suggested before.

in which aisen's apparent unkillability,
was somehow neglected as a factor.

even though no discernible reason was given,
for why it was now absent.

in other words, it was based upon dark illusions.
that promised everything,
but was nothing but smoke and mirrors the entire time.

like some kind of hallucination of value,
that lured people into hell,
under false pretenses.

anne rice was running on fumes the entire time.
it merely took years for people to realize it.

she was figuratively and literally the man standing behind the curtain.
the emperor who was wearing no clothes.

if people from centuries ago observed her doing this,
they would assume that she was an agent of satan,
for creating this kind of parasitic effect upon others.

it doesn't even have anything to do,
with what people think
of magic,
or the supernatural,
or gay people,
or sex.

this woman is simply full of poisonous darkness,
that steals far more value than it will ever give.

she is what more conscious,
enlightened people,
would refer to,
as an energy vampire.

the irony.

1.0 out of 5 stars I f you are an Anne Rice fan then just go and re-read The Vampire Lestat and leave this drivel on the shelf!, 8 Nov 2007
xine267 (London, England) - See all my reviews
Looking at Anne Rice's official website it is easy to see that she has really lost the plot and this book demonstrates clearly that.
I was disgusted with the poor writing on the very first page;
"You think I don't want new readers? My name is thirst, baby. I must have you!" CRINGE!!
and I stayed disgusted throughout the novel.

If Rice has had a political/religious conversion and now wants to be a mouthpiece for a particular political candidate, party or policy then she should do that that and STOP writing mindless drivel about the characters that made her rich and famous in the first place.

Credit your loyal readers with some intelligence; don't trample all over the legacy of your first novels and use one of your most popular characters to become a mouthpiece for your suddenly converted political and religious views then expect us not to notice!

Blood Canticle (Vampire Chronicles)
Blood Canticle (Vampire Chronicles) by Anne Rice (Hardcover - Oct 2003)
Used & New from: £0.01