5.0 out of 5 stars Articulate, Humorous, Accurate!
I've read every available account of project Apollo and I think this is by far the best. Collins is a natural story teller and there's little eveidence of a co-author spoiling the text. Collins self-affacing humour and modesty make this a delight to read. Not only was he a Gemini and Apollo pilot, but he was instrumental in the designing of the pressure suit used for...
Published on 20 Jun 2001 by Ryuto

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read
A breathtaking adventure comprehensively retold. However, unless you are a space fanatic, it is very fact and statistic heavy. The last chapter was superb and provided a frank assessment of his relationships with others and reflected on his achievements.
Published 1 month ago by Paul Bartlett

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful read, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
If you only ever read one book on the amazing story of the American space programme, read this. It is beautifully written and if I had the time I would have read it cover to cover in one go. Buy it now; you won't regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring & superb, 2 Nov 2010
J. J. Carter - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
An extraordinarily witty, intelligent and revealing book written with humility and great attention to detail. There is not one page of this book that fails to fascinate; you really can dip in - as the author states in his introduction - and enjoy numerous anecdotes in addition to brilliant descriptions of flying, preparing for space and the Apollo mission itself.
That said, I read this from cover to cover over a very short period. For me the most exciting and stimulating book about flying and the space programme that I have come across. My only regret is not having read this years ago.
Michael Collins turned 80 on 31st October this year: may I wish you a very happy birthday sir!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carrying the fire, 10 Sep 2010
Andrew Davies (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I never knew much about Michael Collins, the third man, but having read and enjoyed his book I think he tells it like it is and I fell I know a little bit more what the astronauts went through.

He doesn't show off, he seems to be an ordinary guy who worked a bit harder than some others to get what he wanted and he was a scared as any of us would be when he got what he wanted but he doesn't over play it.

He writes...

"Inside the cockpit I get my first manifestation of weightlessness: tiny bits of debris, washers, screws, pieces of potting compound, dirt particles-a miniature armada-are floating aimlessly about... they are an amusing oddity as well as a sober reminder that this machine has been assembled by fallible hands which drop things which find their way into inaccessible and possibly dangerous crevices..."

I'm an engineer and I've enjoyed reading the book although it's not burdened with technical details that would bore or baffle the non-technical minded reader.

I've enjoyed the book and I'd love to spend a week with the man to hear about his days as a test pilot but I'd have to bite my tongue in case I inadvertently asked the question, "What was it really like being on your own on the dark side of the Moon."

Andy Davies.
Parcllyn,
Wales.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best biography by an Astronaut, bar none!, 1 Sep 2010
Islander (Cotswolds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
I have a a large collection of books about the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo space programs. Mike Collins' book is by far and away the best of the astronaut biographies (and one of the rare examples that did not require a co-writer). Collins is a very able writer, and although obviously a high-achiever in the technicalities of aerospace, he explains the concepts of his spaceflights in a very easy way - you won't have trouble understanding him! Moreover, he has a gentle sense of humour that weaves its way through the narrative.

Even if you are a complete layman when it comes to space and NASA, I dare you NOT to enjoy this book. It is a fascinating, educational, and entertaining read that covers a period of absolute pioneering space exploration.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good, 29 May 2010
Sean Murphy (UK) - See all my reviews
This book is a great read. It deals with Mike Collins' early life, his days as a test pilot and how he got into the US manned space project. If your after an in depth view of the Apollo 11 mission you may be slightly dissapointed as this is only covered in the final part of the book. Mike Collins' writing is honest, funny and tragic at times. It is a highly enjoyable read and anyone interested in the Apollo programme should get buy this book. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 31 Oct 2014
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
Enjoyed this, not ghosted and well written

5.0 out of 5 stars The nitty gritty story of space flight., 22 Mar 2013
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
Great book by Michael Collins, his story from his early days as a test pilot and to being part of the first moon landing. I found it very absorbing with technical detail that I was not aware of.

5.0 out of 5 stars the book to read, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
collins is a great narrator, witha good sense of humour

this book gives some great insight into the apollo missions and characters

if i could recommend one book from them all, this would be it

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as asking an Astronaut in person, 26 Feb 2013
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
I have always been fascinated by the Apollo era, and all they acheived, In my mind, Mans greatest adventure, ever, I was only 11 years old when "the lads landed" so reading everything I can now I'm 55 helps fill in the gaping chasms of things I didn't know, but want to know now I can understand things, This book by Michael Collins goes a long way to help fill this gap,
Michael was described once as the lonliest man alive when he orbited the moon alone while waiting for Niel and Buzz to return from the moon. and in his style of humor and honesty, touches a lot of questions I wanted to know, What were your fears, were you clausophobic, did you fear the centrifuge? and many more questions I would have asked if I could, These and many more were covered in this superb book, which was a great read throughout, I couldn't put it down.

If you loved the Apollo era, You'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys (Paperback)
A very nice book, an interesting perspective on the first manned moon landed, made by the guy who was left in Lunar orbit. Recommended

‹ Previous | 14 5 6 | Next ›

Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys
Carrying the Fire: An Astronaut's Journeys by Michael Collins (Paperback - 7 July 2009)