4.0 out of 5 stars A very important book
So, these two girls fall in love. Big deal.
Published on 18 Feb 2004 by g_bu

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not wonderful
Published on 16 April 2004 by Rosamund

4.0 out of 5 stars A very important book, 18 Feb 2004
So, these two girls fall in love. Big deal.
Well, it is a big deal if it happens to you. There is a dearth even in this day and age of books for teenagers about growing up gay, but this particular example has stood the test of time. The date of its publication, 1982, will inevitably lead to comparisons with Edmund White’s “A Boy’s Own Story,” yet while White’s semi-autobiographical work is perhaps the greater achievement, “Annie On My Mind” is the one I would recommend most strongly to teenagers.
The emphasis, quite rightly, falls on the love between the two main characters, but Nancy Garden also takes the chance to highlight the prejudices of others and the awkwardness of young, self-conscious gay couples to express their feelings for each other outwardly – not because they are ashamed, but because they are aware of the bigotry surrounding them.
There are uncomfortable moments in the book, but Nancy Garden is to be applauded for tackling prejudice in a mature way, rather than by forcing her own morality on the reader. We are encouraged to see both pro- and anti-gay opinion, but are ultimately left in no doubt about which is the stronger.
This is a book which will both affirm the acceptability of being gay to teenagers struggling with their sexuality and also inform straight readers of the difficult choices facing gays to this day. It is also emphatically not a book purely intended for adolescents, and can be enjoyed by anyone who is prepared to approach a book open-minded. After all, in the end it’s a book about love.

5.0 out of 5 stars A read for the masses, 12 April 2005
I read the reviews of Annie on My Mind (AOMM) and I immediately knew I had to read the book. I ordered it at the beginning of April and have been waiting for it to arrive. It came today, and I began reading. I did not stop.
The writing is excellent; it portrays a lesbian teenage relationship fraught with uncertainty. I think this book would appeal to the straight teenager as well as the gay.
The uncertainty that they both feel, about what they are feeling happens to all. I found myself reading one page, racing through the text, having to re-read the pages more than once, to get to the next. Knowing that this beautiful relationship will hit a snag, wanting the snags, just so you could read it repaired.
I love this book, and I am set to read it again, and notice all the subtleties I missed in my haste to finish.
The characters are complex, which makes this book so wonderful. They are human, with human emotions that I have found to be lacking in any romance fiction. When it comes to gay or lesbian fiction, the relationships are usually described as lust filled encounters, two people meet, unexpectedly attracted to each other and end up sleeping together, thinking in their mind "oh I shouldn't be doing this" for a mere second. In this wonderful novel, the characters seem duly confused over their growing attraction to each other, and uncomfortable with themselves, trying to explain it to the other. Whether you are gay or straight, confessing that you have strong feelings for another person is difficult, adding societal pressures to the mix... Nancy Garden manages to capture it all, in her too short a book.
My measure of good characters is that long after you put the book down, you wonder what the future holds for them. i find myself wishing Nancy Garden to write a follow up, so I can find out what happens between these two.
Please read this book, I have very few favourites, and this is one of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helps you understand, and so much more... READ IT!, 26 Sep 1998
By A Customer
I started reading this book one night and stayed up until 5am till I was finished! Nothing I read ever made me feel this way, like somebody finally understood. If you feel like nobody understands homosexual relationships, read this book and almost everything you think about may be in there. AOMM finally tells what it FEELS like to be in one of these relationships, and it shows (finally!) that homosexual relationships involve LOVE, something you don't hear much about because of all the "preachiness" of most books on this subject. Annie and Liza are great characters; Liza could be a model for how to cope in an ignorant world. It's not fair that Liza's greatest struggle in this book was being herself! I wish anyone who is ANY sexuality would read this, because it is so true. It is am extreme Eye Opener!!! If everyone was given books like this to read, maybe we would all understand each other a little bit better. It is a beautiful story of how two friends fell in love, nevermind the fact they are both the same sex. This book can be described in this statement: "Don't let ignorance win. Let love."

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking and beautiful, 6 April 1997
By A Customer
My school psychologist managed to find me a copy of Annie on my Mind after I told him that I was desparately searching for books that dealt with gay teens coming to age. I found, to my delight, that this book was different than any other that I had read. It told what it was actually like for two girls to fall in love. When you are a teen and in the closet like I am, books like these are treasured. Don't mistake Annie for a gay book, however. It is much more than that. It is a beautifully crafted love story that makes its message known without being preachy. It puts faces and names on people that some would have remain nameless. Everyone should read it and remember its messages- the most touching one being: "Know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

5.0 out of 5 stars Very emotional and powerful that made me cry, 25 April 2000
By A Customer
Firstly when I started reading Annie on my mind I was still under impression of the "Good Moon Rising" which I read the day before and I must say I thought "Annie on my mind" wouldn't have such impact on me as the other book but than the more I red the more I got sucked in. And I must say I am not much of a reader but I just couldn't put down this book and I finished crying at 4:30 a.m. when I red the last page. The Nancy Garden's book can really be helpful to gay youth (maybe older too - I wouldn't know) and I think it would help the straight people to understand us better. Please read it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 April 1997
By A Customer
I picked up _Annie on My Mind_ with mild curiosity; no one was "out" at my high school, and I found the subject matter about two young lesbians coming to terms with themselves and homophobia interesting. After reading the book, however, I was amazed at the grace, beauty, and romance that Ms. Garden put into the novel. _Annie_ is a beautiful love story, not just a lesbian love story. I wish more of my homophobic high school friends would have read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazingly powerful, beautiful novel, 16 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Annie on My Mind (Hardcover)
Annie On My Mind was the first young lesbian novel I read and loved it so much I kept it from the library despite continuous threats of overdue fines! In the end they gave up and I still have that copy today. I first read the book when I was beginning to question my own sexuality and it was a welcome revelation - I realised that I was not alone - there were other young women in a similar situation to me. Annie and Liza are two vibrant, loving and perfectly "normal" young women. They are very easy to relate to and to sympathise with, which makes the novel even move moving. Nancy Garden presents them and their love in such a way that it seems almost impossible not to see their relationship as anything but a beautiful gift. Someone here said in their review that the reaction of the school is over-the-top and I agree in principle. However, I think that the "trial" is just a symbol, albeit a rather dramatic one of the persecution and misunderstanding that most gay people will unfortunately have to suffer at some time during their lives. I think it works well, and the fact that the girls eventually manage to overcome society's best efforts to separate them makes Liza and Annie perfect role models for us all. I can never thank Nancy Garden enough for her amazingly powerful novel. It has, at times, reduced me to tears but is also cathartic for me - I always fell better after reading it - even if only temporarily. In Annie On My Mind, love really does appear to conquer all. Despite all they have been through, Liza and Annie's love for each other shines through all the way to a beautiful ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars Literature that speaks to the heart, 16 Oct 2008
This review is from: Annie on My Mind (Paperback)
Annie on my mind took my heart in its hand and led me through a beautiful simple sweet love story which I could feel part and parcel of ... No complicated scenarios, no strange vocabulary but literature that speaks to the heart.

Everyday life, everyday problems, things that most of us, or at least me have passed through.

Every single detail talks about love. Mind you I said Love, because it's just secondary the fact that the story is about two gay teenagers. And that's what is all about, love, in all its dimensions, all its colours... love on daily bases which I could relate to. That's what's compelling about this book which I suggest fervently to read, gay or not.

Thank you Nancy Garden!

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, but not wonderful, 16 April 2004
Rosamund (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
It's true that Garden's book nicely summed up a lesbian romance, but it did it in a way that i found cliched and slightly preachy. Annie was an interesting, funny and unique charachter, but I found Liza's (who was the narrator) point of view rather annoying, and she seemed just so desperate to be good. Her charachter,a nd her school, and the "villina" of the novel, her headmisteress, mrs pointdexter, all seemed very contrived. However, liza's moments with Annie, particulary her first encounter with her, and their first kiss, were wonderfully written, and very sweet.
What annoyed me most about this book was that it followed exactly the smae patern as other teen lesbian romance novels (Truth, Dare or Promise and Alison coem to mind) with two girls meeting, falling in love, then others find out, and conflicting thoughts and worries ensue. I would like for once to read a book where the adults are not generally classed as ogres, and the teenagers are not hopelessly confused about their sexuality until some lone, kindly adult points the way for them.
However, this book is certainly enjoyable, fairly well written and cut above all the other novels of this kind that I have read. I think it would be a good read for young teenagers, aprticularly those who question their sexuality, or wan to find out aboutg ay people, as this book woudln't really be that interesting if you were not interested in such matters.

5.0 out of 5 stars this book, 28 Dec 2007
K. A. Hamlton "k" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Annie on My Mind (Paperback)
i have to admit when i read the dicription for this book i wasnt blown away by it. but eveyone should read this book, wither ur gay, bi and st8 it doesnt matter this book is just fantastic

Annie on My Mind
Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden (Paperback - 20 Feb 2007)
5.34