5.0 out of 5 stars To Be Frank..., 18 Jan 2005
L. Wilkinson - See all my reviews
Joe LeSuer was Frank O'Hara's lover for some time of Frank's short life. And when he wasn't being his lover, he was being his flat-mate. However, LeSeur was always Frank O'Hara's friend and, perhaps most importantly, reader of his poems.
As a University student, I made the mistake of studying O'Hara's poetry for my final dissertation. It soon becomes obvious if you love O'Hara's writing, that the poetry is not there to study. It's there to read, enjoy, speak aloud and give to people with the confidence that they too will love O'Hara. It's the poetry of New York City in the 50s, black and white films, jazz, classical music, Coca Cola and, most importantly, art. After writing the dissertation, I felt I'd exhausted what is supposed to be an inexhaustable voice.
Glad was I, then, to read LeSeur's memoir. This is not an academic autopsy of Frank's writing. This is an appreciation as well as a very helpful stroll around Frank's mind and life. LeSeur gives us the poem then tells us what Frank was on about. He gives us a line then follows with an anecdote concerning the inspiration behind that line. What is on offer is a glimpse into the life of O'Hara and LeSeur's involvement through the poetry. What is not on offer is technical examinations of the poetry itself. Thank God.
If you have read O'Hara and like his poems, then you might like to read this book for a bit of background. If you haven't read O'Hara, then I recommend his Selected Poems first.
The poetry is everything. But LeSeur helps to add colour to the background of O'Hara's best known and best loved poetry in this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gentle primer, 14 Mar 2009
D. E. Condon "Hector" (Shaftesbury, Dorset) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digressions on Some Poems by Frank O'Hara (Hardcover)
Digressions on some Poems by Frank O'Hara is a gentle primer on the greater understanding of Frank O'Hara's poems, their cultural allusions and the gay life in NYC in the 50s-60s. I thoroughly enjoyed it and was delighted to have found it.

Digressions on Some Poems by Frank O'Hara
Digressions on Some Poems by Frank O'Hara by Joe Lesueur (Hardcover - 1 April 2003)
Used & New from: £1.80