4.0 out of 5 stars love her stories, found this one harder to read.
Normally, I would give these five stars... but for some reason i found it hard going at times.
It could have just been me and my brain flubbed. but there were times i had to go back and say.. what did i miss..
Saying that, ive been tired and not on the ball... so could be me! Love this series... and this book is up there as well!
Published 20 months ago by Jessica Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best addition to a Great Series
Published 21 months ago by NJV

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best addition to a Great Series, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) (Paperback)
I am in agreement with most of the reviews on Amazon.com. I love the series, I love the characters, the world being built and the fact that the overall plot and relationships have taken time (and books) to develop. However, I did feel this book went on for too long. There was a lot of description in between dialogue and action scenes that didn't really add to the story for me. Also, while I can appreciate Kaylin is the main character and this book provided some major backstory to Teela's character as well, I think the author missed an opportunity to develop Nightshade as a character. Given his role in this book and the amount of "time" that was spent with him here, it was severely lacking.

On a positive note, I love the series. My favourite characters are any of the "Dragons" which I think the author has described and created brilliantly. A truly refreshing and unique take on these over-used creatures. My hope is that future books in the series (with the new characters introduced in this book) will build on this book some more.

I still bought this book as soon as it was released and I am not sorry I did. I just don't think it is the best in the series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor edition to a great series, 1 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) (Paperback)
The continuing adventures of Kaylin, i have read all the chronicles of elantra so far and really enjoyed the developing story.

Cast in Shadow got me hooked on finding out what would happen with Kaylin, but i found Cast In Sorrow hard going, I don't know if this is one of those books that is setting things up for the future plot, it's possible i'll look back on this chapter and everything will make sense.

But at the moment this was overly long and nothing really happens to move Kaylin's quest for answers forward, Sagara can paint a picture in words with the best of them and yet the human characters are starting to become one dimensional especial Severn and the dragons still the show for me in every scene they're in.

This isn't a bad book it's just the weakest in ther series to date, but being honest i'll pick the next one up when it's released but just hope Sagara will return to form in the next chronicle.

2.0 out of 5 stars Overlong an disappointing, 26 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) (Paperback)
I love this series but this book and its predecessor could easily have been combined to make just one book. Most of the last third of this book could have been deleted, along with over two thirds of the last one. I would be very wary of buying the follow up, if there is to be one. I get the impression that the series is being spun out to make more money.

The author is becoming very self-indulgent; she is either ignoring her editor or the editor isn't doing her job. Much of the book does not help with the story itself, back story or understanding of the characters. I agree with a previous reviewer that the character of Nightshade could have been more developed. Severn has become a cardboard cut-out brought out to occasionally prop up the heroine.

Disappointing; it could have been so much better.

4.0 out of 5 stars love her stories, found this one harder to read., 29 Sept. 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars well...., 28 Dec. 2014
almost ok..a little tired...slow pacing at times, and unnecessary repeats, stopping and going, treading water, waiting for the plot to resume...not up to the level of the best ones in the series..but at least we no longer have to deal with a snotty, angry, impolite and silly obnoxious teenager, thanks! i have followed the series from the start, and will continue to do so, but with less enthusiasm and fervor, i think...well, well...

3.0 out of 5 stars it's OK, 18 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) (Paperback)
This a very good, very well written series. I enjoyed the book, but I didn't feel that it moved the story on especially and, in my view, could have been merged with the previous book. Additionally, Severn is criminally under-used in the series generally, but this book in particular. it's fine, but not a classic in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small dragon!, 16 Mar. 2015
I love Michelle Sagara's work. I have for years and these latest books in the Elantra series are outstanding. I've just finished Cast In Sorrow and I'm still wandering around the west March in my head. The Barrani get thoroughly fleshed out with such an awesome twist at the end. I can't shake this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great series., 18 April 2015
I love these books. I love Kaylin and all of the characters. This was lengthy and complex, in places I have to re read. This is the second time I have read this book, in fact I've just read the whole series again. I can't get enough of Nightshade. More please Michelle. Looking forward to the next book

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good read., 6 Nov. 2013
An enchanting continuation of strong and varied fantasy series.
Nice to learn more about some of the key characters that aren't dragons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sagara and Kaylin brings Kaylin's storyline up another level, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) (Paperback)
Sometimes I fall in love with a character and end up following that character for as long as the author allows me to. Private Kaylin Neya is one such character. "Cast in Sorrow" is Sagara’s ninth installment in her "Chronicles of Elantra" series, and I am still enjoying my acquaintance with Kaylin. Part of that has to do with the growth of both the author and our Private. Cast in Shadow was extremely well-written and a fun young adult novel. "Cast in Sorrow" raises Sagara and Kaylin another level in my opinion.

Part of Sagara’s appeal for me is her prose. Patricia McKillip and Sagara share the same kind of tone to their novels. We are lured in with the beauty of their words and end up being buffeted from side to side by the winds of action.

At the start of the series Kaylin Neya is about 20 years old. She has been with the Hawks for seven years and was around 13 when she escaped the fiefs. Since that time about a year has passed. I’m not really sure about that because one has to allow for time for travel, how long her classes last and regular life between books. But according to other readers, this is about where we are.

In just one year Kaylin goes from a person who hates Severn, to one who feels great guilt about him, to one who accepts the role he has in her life. In that same amount of time Kaylin goes from a person who hates herself to one who more or less accepts that her fate in life is different to that of most humans. In accepting herself and others Kaylin also sees that her lessons have a reason and she slowly implements them.

In "Cast in Sorrow" Kaylin has come to the point where she is able to help Teela. She now has the tools (her role as harmonista and her latest experiences) and understanding of Barrini nature that are needed for her job.

Each novel has something to do with the runes on her body. In each novel Kaylin ends up as storyteller. Cast in Sorrow is no different from the rest of the novels in that respect. Once again her runes and nature give Kaylin a unique opportunity to heal. For that is pretty much what Kaylin is in each novel – a healer. Whether she brings female dragons back into existence, helps elementals be born, saves strange “aliens” friends, Kaylin’s mission in each novel is to heal something that has been broken. In "Cast in Sorrow" that is Teela and her friends.

I’ll be buying the next "Chronicles of Elantra" story as well. This is one person whose life I enjoy following.

[...]

Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books)
Cast in Sorrow (Luna Books) by Michelle Sagara (Paperback - 27 Aug. 2013)