4.0 out of 5 stars Will Honor be able to keep her honor?
Published 14 months ago by Celtic

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing the Magic and Intrigue - Frustrating Read!
Published 9 months ago by Judge Tabor

2.0 out of 5 stars Missing the Magic and Intrigue - Frustrating Read!, 23 July 2014
Judge Tabor "(JMM)" (California) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Honor Cabot is the eldest of four sisters - she has a loving stepfather (current Earl of Beckington) who is very ill, a kindly older stepbrother, Augustine, who will inherit the earldom when his father passes and a loving mother whose mental health is rapidly declining due to a head injury. Problem is: Augustine's soon-to-be fiancee, Monica, and Honor are anything but friends - in fact they are rivals. It seems possible that if Honor doesn't marry someone to take on the responsibility of her family that Monica and her nasty mother will pressure the easily manipulated Augustine to pack Honor, her sisters and mother to a cottage in the country far away from society once the marriage takes place. Even worse, they might be planning to put her mother in an asylum of sorts. Fearful of their future and not desiring to marry just anyone, Honor begins to do some plotting of her own.

Honor has plenty of male attention but due to her heart being broken two years earlier does not want to be pressed into a marriage. Instead, she decides to try and hinder Augustine's and Monica's relationship by enlisting the aid of the illegitimate son of a duke, George Easton, who is known for his "rakeful" ways. I think I just made up a new word. Honor asks him to seduce Monica - not totally ruin her but seduce her away from Augustine. George has a less than sterling reputation and isn't welcome into haute ton society due to his illegitimacy. But, George is fascinated by Honor and can't stay away from her even though he doesn't like cooperating with her plans.

I really enjoy most of Julia London's books but this story was missing something. First of all, I felt that Honor was very selfish to try and interrupt Augustine's and Monica's relationship. True, she and Monica didn't get along but it was apparent that Honor was as much to blame as Monica - they both knew how to push one another's buttons.

As the story progresses, it becomes obvious that some people might not be so easy to manipulate and that the only people whose lives are being turned upside down are Honor's and George's. You would think with this premise, there could/would be some delightful elements in the storyline - particularly when you have a feisty heroine such as Honor. However, I found the story to be less fulfilling than it was frustrating. There are some moments that are sweet and fanciful but George and Honor were so determined that their lives could never be joined together in a permanent fashion, that it just wore me down.

I was left wondering: Where was the magic evident in "The Beautiful Stranger" or "The Wicked Angel?" I didn't find that level of romance and intrigue in this storyline. I was in fact disappointed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Will Honor be able to keep her honor?, 2 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Trouble with Honor (Hqn) (Mass Market Paperback)
Honor Cabot had worked through the pain of being rejected, she thought anyway. So what if her way of working through it was building a wall so that none of the ton could see the real her? She was going to live and do things her way. However she did have her family to think about, 3 sisters, her mother and a sweet but sickly stepfather. Then there was her stepbrother, a lovable malleable sort who unfortunately was engaged to her nemeses who wanted nothing but to banish Honor and the women of her family as soon as she could.

George Easton, a bastard, in actuality though a fairly nice gentleman who while playing by his own rules did have standards and rules he was not about to set down. Then again what really did he have to worry about? No family to speak of, that would recognize him that is, which meant he had no one to answer to or for.

Honor and George meet by chance or fate if you like one night in the stews, and after a night they both make judgments and thoughts about one another that if they are lucky they will get to spend lifetimes proving wrong. However after that one night will they see each other again? Will they be able to prove each other wrong? Or will the ton, will the Cabot’s and will Honor’s soon to be stepsister pull them apart before their time together has even begun?

As a huge fan of Ms. London’s I was eager for the start of a new series. I found this novel to be different than her usual style which I admit threw me for the first couple of chapters, but then as she always has, I got very engrossed in the story and the families. While Honor has such a hard shell I can see the vulnerable young woman who just wants to be loved, really loved. George is so similar there are parts where Ms. London broke my heart with these two. My only real disappointment with this novel was the end. Fair warning, MAJOR cliffhanger, and no idea when Grace’s story will be out.

5.0 out of 5 stars trouble with honor, 9 May 2014
Haven't read any of Julia London before, so this was a nice surprise. The plot was a little different and so was the leading lady's way of getting her own way. Thoroughly enjoyed the book and am looking for more Julia London titles.

4.0 out of 5 stars Julia London doesn't disappoint, 4 Mar. 2014
Sian Louise (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I always love Julia London’s books and Wicked Angel is one of my all-time favourite books, so I was really looking forward to this.

For me, this was definitely worth the wait, a great funny story with two great characters who are obviously meant for each other :)

Honor I found quite funny at points in this, her scheme was childish but part of me thought that was the point. I was fully determined to not like Monica her brothers’ fiancé but ended up quite liking her in the end and I thought it was obvious who was pulling the strings with her.

George, well he wasn’t quite as good as some of the other heroes but there was something about him. To be honest I am not a fan of “gamblers” and I did think his ship was going to come in, in the end, but I loved the dialogue between the two of them. The chemistry between them was written very well too, as I read this there were no doubts in my mind that these characters should end up together. Although I am not sure I could have forgotten that last rejection he did in the end make good.

This ended up as very good story and obviously I love Julia’s Londons’ style of writing. A really good start to a new series and I will definitely be looking out for the others. Although I can’t help but hope Monica gets her own story which in turn meaning she doesn’t marry the boring Augustine.

Read and reviewed courtesy of Netgalley

5.0 out of 5 stars Do try this author, 25 Feb. 2015
This is a good author and I try to read all of her books. Interesting new series.

The Trouble with Honor (Hqn)
The Trouble with Honor (Hqn) by Julia London (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Feb. 2014)