Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 11 May 2013
very very disappointed with this book. Having read several novels by this author I was looking forward to receiving this copy. I absolutely love Regency period stories and get through a book in one sitting normally, however, I found I was really struggling to carry on with this read. I found that I was bored and could not relate to any of the characters at all.
All in all I can only hope that the rest of this series improves but I doubt that I shall be ordering any more of Kasey Michaels books for a while.
I am a huge fan of Kasey Michaels' alphabet series books. I have also enjoyed her Beckets of Romney Marsh series... mostly. However, I did not find this book to be in nearly the same category of most of Ms. Michaels' books. Although I was looking forward to Kate's story because she was such a hoyden, I wasn't prepared for Kate and Simon to fall so hard for one another within one day. This didn't seem believable at all. Their conversations were often way too familiar for two people who had known one another for such a short time.

Further, when Valentine left them alone at the Redgrave family home with nobody to chaperone except for servants, that was pretty much over the top. The Redgraves' series of books have a very dark storyline and one that I actually don't really care for, except that I did enjoy Gideon's and Jessica's book way more than this one. When the book is 3/4's over and the search for the journals which actually brought Simon and Katherine together has not even begun, then I do wonder exactly what the point of this book was.

Yes, there was some sweet, heartfelt dialogue and honest feelings were expressed between Simon and Kate, but there was never one itsy bit of angst of any kind. I do love my H/h to get along and hate the "big misunderstanding" that so many authors use in their books. But come on, this story was missing something and might have even benefited from a little misunderstanding, or something - perhaps a couple of somethings.

One real treat in this book was that the Beckets of Romney Marsh showed up for a few scenes. I do love Ainsley Becket.
on 26 January 2014
Don't bother. I have always rated Kasey Michael's books but this one took some determination to read thought to the end. Apologies to those who think the book is great but it is just not for me. Such a pity as I enjoyed the first book and was so looking forward to the second in the series.
on 19 October 2014
Very pleased with this book I loved the story