1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate, Real and Intense!, 28 Mar. 2013
C. Halford "Rookie Romance" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Forever a Lady (Hqn) (Mass Market Paperback)
Delilah Marvelle's done it again! A wonderfully passionate, emotional and intense romance, and a fabulous addition to the Rumour series.

Matthew was to die for! As usual, Marvelle's hero was totally heart-melting. He and his father lost their newspaper and were made destitute after placing their financial trust in the wrong person. After having to move to Five Points, Matthew is blinded from a fight after stepping in to help a young boy. It's not long before the gentlemanly Matthew is having to adjust to life in this rough, poverty-stricken area.
After everything he's been through Matthew still has his own principles, and you get such an insight into his character in this story. I loved his development as he strove to make himself a better man, to be worthy of Bernadette (in his eyes).

And then there's Bernadette, our heroine. I was a little worried I wouldn't relate to her- I don't always like it when the heroine is older. But it works in this story! After being married to an old man at the age of 18, the wealthy, and widowed, Bernadette lives an independent and freeing lifestyle. And who can blame her?! I loved that though she was still a lady and very elegant, she also has this free side. The side of her that loves the history of privateering and wants to visit Port Royal in Jamaica. She's a very genuine person, and fights to be with Matthew when he would have let her go for her own sake.
Their courtship was very sweet and full of repressed desires (in a good way), especially considering how intimately they already knew each other. I loved that Bernadette was almost surprised when Matthew wanted to get to know her properly, and not just in the carnal sense, and her delight at the romantic gestures he made was also very sweet.

The pacing throughout this book was great. It spans a fair amount of time, and sometimes this can throw off the pace, but the tempo was even. There was plenty of authenticity in the writing, it was a great glimpse in to what it might have been like in 1830s New York- from high society to the tough Five Points area.
The quotes from 'The Truth Teller' were fab, I really enjoyed them, and I was pleasantly surprised when I read in the Author's Note that these were from an actual newspaper.

The glimpses we were given of Atwood have only whet my appetite for more in Forever a Lord, and now it's finally time! I can't even tell you how excited I am to finally be reading this book!! I. Can. Not. Wait.

So overall, this book has the signature style of Delilah Marvelle- passionate (to say the least!), real and emotional. And if you've not started reading the Rumour series yet, what are you waiting for?

Forever a Lady (Hqn)
Forever a Lady (Hqn) by Delilah Marvelle (Mass Market Paperback - 24 July 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01