5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended

Published on 4 Feb 2007 by Helen Hancox

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended, 9 April 2005
Book Addict - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
On the world of Imperia a tentative treaty keeps the multitude of mortals and the less proliferate Druinn (immortal magic users) from destroying each other. Unfortunately when Zirra (a priestess of Druinn) hears from his own lips that her current lover (a mortal warrior named Tristan) will never love any woman, she throws a fit of pique and casts a spell upon him, potentially destroying the fragile covenant between mortal and immortal. Banishing him into her trinket box Tristan becomes her pleasure slave, only able to leave the confines of the box at the whim of his female owner, his "guan ren". Cursed, Tristan finds himelf bound to the box and the demands of its owner until he falls in love and freely admits his feelings. Zirra's plan to keep him for eternity and demand his love are thwarted however when Percen, the High Priest of the Druinn casts his own spell, sending the trinket box hurtling through time and space and stripping Zirra of her magic (and therefore her ability to recall the box back to her).

Antiques dealer Julia Anderson is pleased with her new purchases, including the rather battered jewelled box she was instantly drawn to. On returning home, she is excited over the discovery of a hidden latch, however this box contains something she never anticipates. When the purple haze exuded from the box fades, she finds herself face to face with the most mouth watering specimen of manhood ever. The drool soon dries though when she realises this luscious vision before her is an armed intruder, carrying a vicious looking sword. Yet rather than attack her, this male model of perfection seems intent on getting her plain and boring self into bed. Correctly concluding that it could be the trip of a lifetime, Julia finds herself very tempted by his offers but something just doesn't feel right.

Having sexually serviced a multitude of "guan ren" for well over a millennia, Tristan is surprised when he finds his body reacting to the presence of his newest owner and intrigued by her refusal to use him as her pleasure slave. As he begins to fall in love for the first time he realises his dilemma, to admit his feelings would result in the loss of the woman he loves - once his spell is broken he would be returned immediately to Imperia. Yet not voicing his feelings becomes increasingly difficult, especially when his little dragon gives in to their attraction and sets him on fire with her luscious body and words of love. Vowing to never admit that her feelings are returned (to do so would be to lose her) Tristan plans to remain with Julia until her death (the rules of his curse make him immortal). Unfortunately his plans are hampered by Zirra's attempts to retrieve the trinket box to regain her control over him and her deadly jealousy over his deepening relationship with Julia.

Anyone who has read Sherrilyn Kenyon's "Fantasy Lover" will recognise the similar theme within this story; that of a mighty warrior cursed to pleasure women, haunted by his past and the inability to express his feelings for the woman he comes to love. Like Kenyon, Gena Showalter has written a wonderful book, complete with a hunky hero, feisty heroine and a great story line. The sex scenes are deliciously hot, the humour easily brings a smile to the reader's lips and there's enough action to keep you rapidly turning pages. Following in the fashion of Kenyon, I sincerely hope GW intends to continue with this series - I'd love to read more of Romulis and his hunt for his life-mate. Before ordering any other works Ms Showalter may have in print, I am first off to my local antiques dealer in the hopes of finding a very special trinket box. Watch out Sherrilyn, another author is after your crown.

3.0 out of 5 stars Had possibilities but would be better as a short story, 4 Feb 2007
Helen Hancox "Auntie Helen" (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Gena Showalter's book is one of those books you read where you think "this is an opportunity missed". The basic premise, that a warrior has been trapped in a box and has to obey the commands of the woman that owns the box, which ends up being passed to many different people over more than a millennium, has quite a lot of possibilities. What might this warrior Tristan have learned from different cultures over this time, especially when we discover that he's actually from another planet? What does he think when ending up in the possession of the owner of an antiques shop in small-town America? How does he cope with shopping in the mall, working in the shop, communicating with other 20th century Americans?

Sadly all these opportunities for interest weren't realised. Instead most of the interaction between Julia Anderson, the rather average woman, and the amazingly dishy Tristan, were about love and seduction. Now his job is technically a pleasure slave so we know that he's probably reasonably good at this, but I felt that the book was hinting that Julia saw him differently and was trying to treat him as a human being rather than a slave. This didn't really come across very well to me, though. And he fell in love with her surprisingly quickly. There was also the incongruity of him supposedly having to agree to her every wish but he actually stood his ground against her a number of times - I wasn't entirely sure how this worked with the Curse he was under to obey the owner of the box.

There are some amusing moments (he seemed to like conquering telephones) and I liked the heroine's ordinariness but somehow there wasn't enough meat to this story and I felt myself wanting to skim some passages to get to more action. The plot was pretty thin and the characterisation rather wooden. This would have made a pretty decent short story but it didn't have enough oomph in it to keep me glued for a full length novel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 17 Sep 2005
By A Customer
There's nothing thought provoking or overly special about this particular title, but it was a most enjoyable read and a definite page turner. The only thing I really found lacking was that I'd have liked to have seen more of an "emotional connection" between the two main characters.
There was plenty of conflict in this book, and most of it handled in an ammusing way that had me laughing out loud on more than a few occasions. Particularly, Tristan's response to Julia's world was very believable and entertaining to read. Tristan was truly a character whom you could imagine having come from another world, and this really gave his character depth.
This was a fairly major venture from the usual genre of books that I tend to read, but I don't regret giving it a try. A worthy buy for the price, and an enjoyable read.

5.0 out of 5 stars enchanting, 26 Mar 2010
Lucy Hargrave (Wellingborough, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Another amazing book from Gena Showalter. Now I must admit I'm a massive Gena Showalter fan and am therefore bias however this is one of my favourite books of all time. The characters were lovable and the storyline was original; the book was fast-paced and was totally gripping. I re-read this book so many times and still find myself laughing and crying EVERY TIME. A definite must have more any Gena Showalter and romance lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sugar sweet... and sticky, 17 Mar 2010
Lorraine Sears "Redlorry" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I am a big fan of Gena Showaters writing and loved her Lords of the Underworld series. And I am an even bigger fan of the paranormal romance genre. So when Amazon recommended this book to me and I found cover and title intrigued me, I bought it. But as I was reading a series at the time it sat on the shelf for a couple of months before I picked it up.

It is a good story and very entertaining and funny, but it is a little too sugary for my tastes. The evil in this book is not nearly evil enough and you know the whole way through the the main couple will find a way to be together in the end. Tristran, the Pleasure Slave is bewitched into a trinket box and must pleasure the owner anyway they desire from sex to housework. But by profession he is a mighty warrior in Imperia where he comes from, yet he never gets to truly demonstrate his warrior skills other than attacking and beating a couple of ordinary household objects into oblivion. Or in one short-lived battle at theend of the book, which is used more of a way as a means to an end than to paint him any differently.

Julia, the female character is a strong lead but once again as with a previous Showalter heroine I found her jump from meek amd mild virgin to wanton sex kitten very fast and therefore slightly unbeliveable.

All said and done I read picked this book up the within an hour of putting down a book about vikings...so perhaps my bloodlust is of my own making. But I prefer books such Immortals After Dark, Lords of the Underworld and Black Dagger Brotherhood where the is some a bit more demonstration of muscle from our hero other than in the bedroom.

I agree with another reviewer, this book would have been better as a short story (instead of 180+ pages alone dedicated to mere flirtations) - or by contrast part of series where there is development of Imperia and we learn more about Tristran and his warrior status...

Enjoyable - but not a keeper for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars good not great, 18 Nov 2009
Now-a-days we tend to judge the story, but i think it has more to do with the author and the type of writing. the story has already been explained so i wont go into that. its a paranormal rom adventure fantasy. very true to type gena showalter. even though its her earlier work and she has a more improved lords of the underworld series which is fantastic. this is an ok read, i did find myself skipping a couple of pages here and there. having read SK DH series and this particular scenario this paled in comparisson hence my average judgment. still good not excellent or great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Typical Showalter, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Pleasure Slave (Mass Market Paperback)
I always enjoy Gena Showalter novels they have hot characters sizzling romance and unusal story lines anyone who enjoys erotic romance will enjoy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars i love it, 25 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Pleasure Slave (Mass Market Paperback)
I had this book on kindle and I loved it so much I had to have it in paperback. Its fun and the story line is great I couldn't put the book down and I've read it about 5 times. I would and I have told people about this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good Book, 8 April 2013
If you like a good romance well mixed with humour you will love this book its so funny in parts
I laughted out loud which prompted my son to ask what I was watching on tv and he was dissapointed to learn I was reading (he does not share my love of books his loss)

4.0 out of 5 stars Ruthless, 20 Aug 2010
Ruth Stewart (Northamptonshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Pleasure Slave (Mass Market Paperback)
There's nothing thought provoking about this particular title, but it was a enjoyable read and a definite page turner. Would've liked a bit more "emotional connection" between the two main characters.

There was plenty of conflict in this book, and most of it handled in an ammusing way that had me laughing on more than a few occasions. Particularly, Tristan's response to Julia's world was very believable and entertaining to read. Tristan was truly a character whom you could imagine having come from another world, and this really gave his character depth.

I enjoy Ms Showalter's books especially 'The Lords of the Underworld'. If you like this try her 'Atlantis' series as well.

The Pleasure Slave
The Pleasure Slave by Gena Showalter (Mass Market Paperback - 5 Feb 2036)