Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

I liked this book more than the previous instalment 'Zane'.
Canyon Westmoreland is a lawyer, and he split with a lady named Keisha Ashford, another lawyer, three years ago. She left Denver believing that he'd cheated on her with her friend. Now Keisha's back in town for work and CANYON decides to explain his point of view once and for all, then leave her alone. However he spots a car following Keisha's car, and when he reports the licence plate to police, he's told that the vehicle has been stolen. Concerned, Canyon sees the lady picking up a little boy from daycare, who looks so like his nephews that he must be family....

Keisha was raised by a single mother, and she's independent, so raised Canyon's little boy in Texas. She reluctantly introduces Canyon to Beau, the son he never knew existed. But she's being followed, while her house is ransacked. Protective instincts raised, Canyon insists the little family come stay at the Westmoreland ranch, until the police get to the bottom of the situation. And if Keisha would just hear his version of the earlier scene with her friend?

Brenda Jackson has written several books in her long-running saga, so a large number of previous characters enter the tale at this point. Followers of the earlier books will be glad - this does make it harder to read the novel as a standalone. However the two main characters sensibly decide to move forward and make their priority the threats to Keisha, and why they are happening. The new reader can focus on this aspect of the story.
There are better westerns out there, this is really set in a city with a family in a big wealthy ranch house on the outskirts. The recession doesn't seem to be affecting them.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 10 August 2013
This is the second in a trilogy that features three of the Westmoreland clan.
I understand that this is one of many in a long series, but there are multiple scenes and pages just explaining who is related to whom and why. Not to mention the children of the aforementioned and the siblings of wives or husbands.
Completely unnecessary.
Fans of the series will know who everyone is and new readers aren't left with anything to discover about the previous books because everything is squished into this little story. Sometimes less is more.
Whilst I can understand the cute name your character after a mountain, shrubbery, bush or body of water theme, I think naming Canyon's apparatus after a huge fissure in the Colorado Plateau is a bit much.
It is a quick breezy romantic read, suitable for a quick bout of relaxation or if you need a dose of male superiority to sweep you off your little ol' feet.
I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.
on 14 November 2015
I know I am late to the party but I have just read my first Brenda Jackson book and enjoyed it! Don't ask me why I started at book 26. A book buddy was very kindle and brought me book 1 in kindle format as this is not available in the UK.

I have to admit I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Even though there was some angst in the story it was classy and they were still respectful to each other. Nicely done.

I do have to admit that as the reason unfolded as to what had gone wrong it the relationship and why, that was a little far fetched for me but this did not spoil the journey of reading this book.

I am going to start the series from the beginning now, another series with lots of books to get into. I would like to highly recommend this story as a great read.
on 26 April 2014
A very good read and would reommend this book to my friends. Looking forward to more books for the collection
on 6 April 2015
Really enjoyed reading this book.