4.0 out of 5 stars A warm hearted romance I recommend, 5 Jan 2003
By A Customer
I enjoyed reading 'Tallie's Knight'.
It has many features that are common to this kind of genre: there's the 'Cinderella' element, because poor orphan Tallie ends up happily married to her rich Earl; there's the nasty, spiteful 'friend' whose advice is intended to ruin her marriage, and the brave gallant Earl himself whose brutal loveless childhood left him emotionally crippled,yet yearning for love which, of course, he eventually finds with Tallie. Bandits and rescues give opportunities to prove their love for each other.
I decided to award four stars only and not five because these motives are so obvious in their frequency. But the author has avoided to make her characters stereotypes - Tallie, for instance, is no great beauty as the heroines so often are, and Magnus is uniquely dense in understanding her love. You feel they are people you like, and whom you'd like to find happiness together.
Most important to me: it is all mixed together with warmth and humour into a believable story that keeps you entertained, amused and wanting to read on, and leaves you in a definitely pleasant feel-good mood.
That's exactly what I want from a romance. In fact, I'd give it 4 1/2 if this were possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very romantic, 15 May 2001
This review is from: Tallie's Knight (Paperback)
When Magnus Earl of d'Arenville meets Thalia Robinson he has already decided that he wants children and a marriage of convenience seems just the thing for the man known as 'The Icicle'. Thalia, or Tallie as she is known, is staying with her cousin Louisa, and she is the poor relation who is looking after Louisa's three children. Plain and on the shelf, Tallie spends her time in her own fantasy world while she looks after the children, hence part of the reason for the title 'Tallie's Knight'. She dreams of a romantic rescue, and what she ends up with is a proposal from the cold and reserved earl. The marriage takes place early on and Anne Gracie has set the novel against the failure of the Peace of Amiens in 1803 when France suddenly closed its borders against the English and held them prisoner.
Tallie's Knight is not as funny as Gracie's first book "Gallant Waif" but again she has created wonderful, strong characters and a story full of twists. The reasons for Tallie marrying Magnus, whether or not they can reclaim one another from the misunderstandings and the failures and misfortunes of their past makes this a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put this down..., 2 April 2008
I have to say, I started off disliking the two main characters. I found Magnus, the Earl to be arrogant, very cold... and rather unpleasant, really. And Tallie just struck me as plain silly with all her fantasies and head in the clouds. To say they made a bad pairing is an understatement...

BUT... what kept me going was Ms Anne Gracie's excellent penmanship. This was my first time reading a book of hers, and I must say... I find enjoyed her writing style tremendously. It kept me reading.. until finally, I realised, I was enjoying myself enormously, and growing to like the characters more and more.

Of course, Magnus redeems himself at the end, when The Icicle (as he is known) is melted by Tallie's fire.. :)

If you enjoy a good plot with character development and entertaining dialogue, then this book will capture your interest. I didn't expect to like it, but ended up being vastly surprised. It's not often that happens for me, because I usually set out to LIKE a book... but for this one, I was skeptical from the beginning... only to find I couldn't put it down. I finished it in ONE sitting!

4.0 out of 5 stars Tallie's Knight, 5 May 2010
Ms. A. Le Grand "Pearleve" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This is a sweet, romantic story which rewards you for your perseverence at the end by giving you the conclusion you hoped for.

Tallie is a believable regency heroine and Magnus is an endearingly gruff hero with whom the most hardened of us would find it difficult not to fall in love, at least for the duration of the book!

I enjoyed this tale, it is nicely written, does not insult our intelligence or our taste, and is quite simply a pleasurable read. Good for sunbathing in the garden with or for bedtime reading, it keeps your interest and yet takes no effort to pick up and maybe a little to put down!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 15 Nov 2012
I just loved this book, it was very warm and I loved the pairing of the two main characters. I really enjoyed how Tallie would have these daydreams and had her own inner world. She was a genuinely sweet character, but still retained her backbone. I loved how Marcus was actually a very nice man, just completely at sea with dealing with people's emotions and thus comes across very cold. Anne Grace is definitely one of the best writers for this genre, and a brilliant romance writer.

Tallie's Knight
Tallie's Knight by Gracie Anne (Paperback - 1 Mar 2001)
Used & New from: 3.70