on 23 August 2011
Joseph Delaney's ability to deliver big scares and chills alognside a gripping storyline and expertly developed characters is unsurpassed, except by J K Rowling.
The third book in the Wardstone Chronicles sees Tom and the Spook Mr Gregory head to their winter house high in the fells where the dark brings all manner of scary beasts out of the shadows and being the local Spook Mr Gregory does his duty by protecting the inhabitants of the County from the darkness. In this third book we learn more about the Spook himself and his character begins to unfold more than it has in the previous two installments with the introduction of the women he loves, Meg, who happens to be a Lamia witch. But there is other trouble afoot as a rogue Spook is set on releasing an evil God upon the County. This installment is scarier and more disturbing than the previous two and could be too scary for readers under ten.
Delaney draws the reader in from the first page and the action, excitment and thrills don't let up until the very last page, these books are fast becoming my favourite series ever written, behind Harry Potter at the moment. If you enjoy scary and exciting books that are impossible to put down then The Wardstone Chronicles are definitely perfect for you.
on 10 December 2011
It's a thrilling book that is impossible to put down when you start reading it. I highly recommend it to anyone aged 8+.
on 10 July 2013
This is the third book in the Wardstone Chronicles and was the make it or break it point for me. I figured that after three books I'd have a pretty good idea of whether this series was going to be worth it. The Spook's Secret convinced me, I will be reading them all.

In this book Tom and Master Gregory travel to The Spook's winter house. Not only are they isolated but instead all the things the Spook has bound are in the cellar not outside.

One of the witches is Meg, a lamia witch that Tom found out about in The Spook's Curse. Unlike the others Meg hibernates in a cell until The Spook wakes her and brings her upstairs. There she subdued with a herbal tea that makes her forget who she is, something Alice (rightfully I think) has major issues with.

I think The Spook's Secret makes for interesting reading for the characters, particularly the Spook. Meg alone is one big ethical dilemma but there is plenty more to go at. While the story and adventure remain at the forefront I enjoyed this book more for battle between Alice and The Spook on what is right.
on 20 March 2013
I found this book interesting and action packed. You may expect the book to mainly consist of the spooks dark past beginning to unveil, but it comes back to haunt him and also the spooks young apprentice Tom Ward. We meet Meg, the person which captured the spooks heart and start to find out more about her and her sister who is hidden in the cellar. Alice is back, and her and Tom seem to be getting closer than ever. Along with this, disastrous consequences at home cause Tom to be terrorized by the spooks ex-apprentice Morgan. With action, adventure, romance, horror and suspense what isn't to like?!? This was my favourite spooks book so far and I can't wait to read the next book... the spooks battle!!!
on 7 July 2014
This is the 3rd in the series and my 3rd journey with Tom and The Spook! I love these books. They were initially recommended by my 14yr old god-daughter, Alice, and I am very happy to recommend them to others. We are near neighbours of the county and these tales of magical landscapes, witches and supernatural are at the same time borrowed from folklore and a new interpretation of Lancashire.
For anyone who would like to find a little magic under the surface of the everyday, a little peril and who would be a force for good.
Ps:
I am well past 14
on 16 June 2013
It was a excellent story. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading it. The only thing I don't like is that I'm finished with the book before I know it and avid for the next book in the series!

I would recommend this book for older teens and adults since I think it might be too scary for anyone under twelve.

I definitely am looking forward to the release of the movie based on the first book!
on 10 February 2013
After reading the Spook's Curse. I couldn't wait to read book 3 Spook's Secret, it was great reading and now looking forward to book 4. Each book that I have read so far has me not wanting to put it down

I'd recommend this to anyone who likes to read about witches and more. They can just let their mind wonder into the books as if they were there
on 4 July 2014
Its a rough life being a spook or his apprentice! Again as the first two books in this series its a good read a little 'darker' as more of the Spooks secrets come back to haunt him and as for Tom he could do with doing as he was told to keep him out of trouble. Alice's character is becoming more to the fore is she or isn't she? What do you do with witches?
on 6 July 2014
This is the best so far in the ward stone chronicles I've only read the first three and this is my fave once.There's really nothing bad to say about this book made me cry and feel empathy for the characters.i'd recommend this book to someone who likes action,violence and emotion. Joseph Delaney is the best author I know!
on 9 December 2009
I bought this book for my 10 year old son after his friend recommended it to him. He is a third of the way through the book and really enjoying it. It's exciting, scary and easy reading. He has already asked for another Spooks book in the series, he is not an avid reader, so this is good news to me!