4.0 out of 5 stars A great read.
Published on 14 May 2006 by smash7

1.0 out of 5 stars Sooo neo-hippy
From my very personal point of view, as a reader and as non-Irish, this is a very condescending, morally wrong and not even well writen book. It is boring, too long and too full of cliches. It seems to me that the author was trying to write the ultimate fantasy novel set in Ireland, but instead her work got lost halfway between children literature and new-age-hippyish...
Published 21 months ago by Cristina

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read., 14 May 2006
This is a book full of mystery, magic, myth and music. It takes place in Ireland at a time when music was very important to the population. It is about a boy called JJ Liddy who sets off to buy his mother some time. Can he do the impossile task and manage to grant her wish? Full of surprises along the way, this book is a must for all kids aged 12+. Hard to put down and enjoyable from beginning to end. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 5 April 2006
C Tissiman (Hertford, Herts United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The New Policeman (Hardcover)
If you have any interest in Fairies, or if your feet itch to dance when you hear Irish music, this book is for you.
Follow a gripping tale of a young boy growing up with all the usual problems a young boy should have. A strange family that he finds out stories about as only a young boy can, through stories at school.
Along his journeys he finds out why we never seem to have enough time, and where the time is going along with those odd socks.
This book is too good for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Courtesy of Teens Read Too, 14 Aug 2008
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
There is never enough time in the small Irish town of Kinvara. People go about their daily business at top speed: children rush to catch school buses that are inevitably late, parents never make it to work on time, and even the elderly complain that there's just not enough time in the day. Everyone agrees that it wasn't always this way, but no one can pinpoint exactly when time started seeping out of their lives. Although everyone can feel the time leak, no one can prove its existence, and so although everyone complains about it, no one does anything to stop it.

No one, that is, until J.J. Liddy's mother insists that the only thing she truly wants for her birthday is more time. J.J. understands his mother's desire, and wishes that he could find a way to help her get the gift she really wants this year, but like everyone else he feels that it's hopeless to wish for something that will never come.

However, Ireland is rich with history and mythology, and the two often become confused with each other. For J.J., a revelation about his own family history leads to a series of interconnected discoveries, eventually causing him to stumble into the mythical Tír na n'Óg, the Land of Eternal Youth. There, time is supposed to stand still, but J.J.'s visit there shows him that time is passing there, albeit very slowly. Somehow, time is leaking from the real world into Tír na n'Óg,
and as the only person who knows the truth of the leak, J.J. is the only person who can stop it. Along the way, he begins to unravel the secrets of his history, both recent and distant, as the legends of Ireland come to life around him.

I thoroughly enjoyed this tale, steeped as it was in the richness of Irish legends and tradition. All of the chapters were named after Irish dance tunes, the first few measures of which are presented in musical notation along with the chapter heading. My personal knowledge of Irish mythology allowed me a greater understanding of what was going on
throughout the story, but for readers unfamiliar with the setting, Thompson includes a concise but helpful glossary of definitions and pronunciations. The story itself started a bit slowly, but once it picked up, it became practically impossible to put down.

Reviewed by: Candace Cunard

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 18 Nov 2013
I read this even though it was on my daughter`s reading list from school. I was transported back to the mysterious and brooding presence of the Burren in the west of Ireland. The author keeps you guessing until almost the last page and it is
difficult to put the book down. If you like stories about Ireland and especially myths and legends, then this is the book for you. There is some laugh out loud humour and some slightly sinister twists but the main characters keep you reading. A good book that I could thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars magical and absorbing, 8 Nov 2013
Yet another one of those books that have been waiting on the shelf for years and that I enjoyed more than I expected I would. I wasn't even sure what it was about, just that once someone told me it was good. And yet, the right time for it only came now. I devoured this in less than two days. It was that good. It's also about everything I love. Ireland, for starters. It's set in a delightful little village I've visited more than once, in county Galway. It's about traditional Irish music, and even though I'm not the biggest fan of trad, or diddly aye as my friends from the wesht call it, I do enjoy a session every now and then. It really shows the true heart of Ireland. And finally, it's about magic, folklore and mythology. About the Tuatha de Danann and the great Irish heroes of the old sagas.Only, not like you've read them before.
Life in Kinvara seems to go as usual, except it isn't. Time is slipping away too fast and people never seem to have enough of it. There is a new policeman in town, but he's not so sure he's right for the job and he'd rather play his fiddle in the pub than investigate crimes. Then there's 15-year-old JJ Liddy who bears his mother's family name with pride (The Liddys have been for their music and their ceili for years), until one day his friend tells him his great-grandfather murdered a priest, and he's not sure about being a Liddy anymore. He doesn't know anything about his family's past and now his mother realises it's time to tell him the truth. But soon JJ realises there's more at stake than his family pride. His determination to buy more time for his mother, as she asked for her birthday present, brings him to the edge of reality in a quest to fix time and fulfil his mother's wishes.
This was a multi-layered story that was satisfying on many levels. It was filled with humour, with characters instantly easy to love, with an almost tangible love for music and for dancing and for communal traditions carried forward for generations with love and pride. And then there was a not-so-subtle criticism towards the present times, or the present at the time of the novel, when Ireland was at the height of its economic boom, which happened so sudden and so fast that it had earned the name Celtic tiger. No one had time for anything anymore, except making money, buying houses and cars and climbing the career ladder. This was not a huge part of the story but it did linger there, understated, until the ending, when it becomes more obvious.
But what I loved the most was the new take on the Irish "Gods". I especially loved Angus and the Dagda, and Bran the dog, and everything that had to do with them. I was slightly concerned about JJ, because unlike him, I did remembered what happened to Oisin in the legends. But still, you don't need to know too much about old Irish sagas to enjoy this. If anything, it'd make you want to read more about them. But even if this was the only book you'd ever read about them, I think it'd be a good one.
The ending was the cherry on the cake. You find out who the new policeman really is and even though I had an inkling, I hadn't guessed the full story, and it's brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A.M.A.Z.I.N.G, 5 April 2013
If you like Roald Dhal and Malorie Blackman, you will enjoy this book! It's witty, origanal, and cleverly written. It gives you a sence of mystery on every page. Aimed at over 9s.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book changed my life., 21 Feb 2013
This review has also been posted on Goodreads :)
---
This book changed my life.

When I was about nine or ten, my grandma bought this book, having seen a review of it in The Times when it first came out. I'm not sure what she thought would interest me - probably the music, since I've been brought up in a musical family - but it certainly worked.

I was amazed at the entire world Kate Thompson had taken from mythology - an interpretation of the sidhe that I'd never seen before. I loved how she mixed Tir n'a nÓg with the modern day world, how her human characters ere funny and realistic as well as her fairies, and I loved how JJ's family weren't an over sentimental Irish family - JJ got teased at school for dancing, he got teased for playing music. It sounded real.

Her descriptions of music were so inspiring that I actually started playing traditional music myself not long afterwards, and a few years later I took up Irish dance. Now I write books about fairies. I cannot stress enough how much this book has meant to me. I forced some of my friends to read the book and they found the short chapters irritating, or weren't interested in the mythology, but I absolutely loved it. To me, this book is flawless.

I'm nearly seventeen now and this book still holds a place on my 'favourites' shelf.

Highly, highly recommended to anyone with even a passing interest in the fairies, or mythology, or music, or just good books with good characters. Although I never fell in love with the rest of the series in quite the same way, they are still good books in their own right.

4.0 out of 5 stars the new police man trilogy by kate thompson, 7 Jun 2012
the book is full of interesting detail and mistery. you are always wating to read on and find out what happens next. interesting but there are some words that children might not understand and in some cases can be a little confusing.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Listen, 16 Nov 2011
My job involves travelling by car a great deal and during my journies I listen to audio stories borrowed from my local library. This story stood out as 'a really good listen' compared with the scores of stories I have listened to. I bought it for my 10-year old daughter, but it would also make a lovely gift for an adult. It is an enchanting story.

5.0 out of 5 stars kate thompson The New Policyman, 3 Oct 2011
This review is from: The New Policeman (Hardcover)
This book arrive about a week after i ordered it in good condition. i would recommend this service without any hesitation.

The New Policeman
The New Policeman by Kate Thompson (Hardcover - 2 Jun 2005)
Used & New from: 0.01