Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 February 2001
I am not a toddler. I am not a mother of growing children. I am a student in my early twenties, and I simply love this book! When I was a child, the books of Shirley Hughes were among my favourites: because of the funny, endearing, recognisable stories, and not in the least because of her wonderful illustrations. They are little pieces of art, each and everyone. Nobody can depict young children the way they are like Shirley Hughes. When I found this book, I was thrilled. It contains old favourites like Dogger and Alfie, but also some stories I did not know yet, and that are not specifically aimed at children, like The Lion and the Unicorn and Angel on the Roof.
A wonderful collection in a collectible edition, to be enjoyed for years to come!
0Comment|86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Shirley Hughes is such an incredible children's book artist - she manages to portray young children with amazing accuracy: their expressions, movement, gestures and all the subtleties that a great illustrator is able to communicate so well.

The pictures are so animated that they really bring the stories to life. It's a substantial volume and excellent value for money. I think fans of Shirley Hughes will also appreciate the variety of illustrations you get in this collection. The book is divided into four sections as follows:

1) Stories and rhymes for the nursery years
2) Stories and poems for young children
3) Stories and poems for older children
4) Stories for all to enjoy

The stories and amazing illustrations capture the imagination so well and I think this collection is a real treat for children - simply brilliant!
on 23 December 2007
This book is wonderful. I bought it for my sons 7th birthday. He had mentioned Shirley Hughes a few times having read stories at school. We love reading the stories together, they are so wholesome and innocent which is very refreshing when usually surrounded by simpsons, pokemon etc. I would recommend this book to anyone with children.
on 9 September 2009
This is a lovely book for young children with a good mix of stories and verses and some charming illustrations.
I bought a copy for my own Sons and they particularly love "Alfie and Annie-Rose" stories.
I have now bought several copies too and given them as new baby/christening/birthday gifts.
An attractive hardbacked book to give as a gift and share the joy of Shirley Hughes storytelling.The Shirley Hughes CollectionThe Big Alfie Out of Doors Storybook (Red Fox picture books)
on 16 October 2008
This is such a wonderful, wonderful book with beautiful illustrations. The stories are just what children experience and they can recognise themselves in them. Since we bought this book it has been favourite and has to be read everywhere (a bit difficult because it is quite big) and over and over. It is so cute that I don't mind reading it over and over either!
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2010
As a child I was transfixed by the stories of Alfie and My Naughty Little Sister. This book brings together a collection of Shirley Hughes stories to suit a child from 6 months to around 12 years or so. The book is divided into sections for younger children, beginning readers and older children. There is something here for everyone from poetry to simple stories to longer more advanced tales. All are illustrated with the fabulous Shirley Hughes pictures. There are stories here I loived as a child and which my own son now adores too - his current favourite is a tale about My Naughty Little Sister attending Bad Harry's birthday party with disasterous consequences.

The book is hardback and beautiful to look at and hold, I can see that over time the sleeve would become damaged and torn but maybe this is part of the charm that a well loved and well read book has. My son was given this for Christmas and we have been reading and re-reading it ever since - and we still haven't read everything yet as there are lots of favourite tales and poems.

Worth buying and loving.
on 20 November 2009
these stories never fail to amuse children. When my children were at school these were resd at story time either by me or the school teacher.I bought this book for my grandson Riley and my god daughter hermione to read to them like i did my son and daughter. I would reccommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good childrens book or one to read to children i can asure you that they will love alfie and annie rose as well as dogger
on 3 August 2009
I remembered loving these stories from my own childhood, so when I had my first child I could not wait to read them again with her. The beautiful writing and lovely illustrations did not disappoint. We have now had this book for 10 years and still we go back to it and read all about the innocent but funny antics of My Naughty Little Sister and her best friend Harry. We all see a little bit of ourselves in the stories. As the children grow up and other books are passed on this one remains on our book shelves ready to read to the next generations. I would highly recommend anyone to buy this lovely book.
on 30 November 2012
When I was a girl (in the 70's), we had a few Shirley Hughes stories that were favourites. As a parent, I've become a big Shirley Hughes fan, discovering all the other stories she has illustrated for children - and also poems, and a volume for anyone who enjoys history or gets nostalgic for eras gone by ("A Brush with the Past").

I have flicked through this collection, bought as a gift, and it seems too much! Like many presents all at once. I can't believe that so little money can actually buy something so precious. Buy it before someone hoiks the price, buy it for your children, for grandchildren, children's friends, for your siblings who grew up with Shirley Hughes, for teachers and lovers of art and stories. How can you buy a slice of the past, gift memories? Shirley Hughes' illustrations have the effect of music or a scent to suddenly jolt you, gift you the past.

I've enjoyed reading "Dogger" and "All About Alfie" to my three-years-old son because he doesn't attempt to turn the page before the text (quite lengthy by comparison to today's books) is finished, he lingers over the pictures. If you are considering buying this for your grand/children, these are illustrations that someone has taken time over, that can be pored over, - there are not enough of these kind of illustrations today!
on 22 July 2015
I thought I'd made a mistake buying a compilation for my baby three years ago. The dust cover was ripped before we'd started to read it. Now, at three, the book's in high demand as a bedtime read. We read the stories and poems suitable for his level, and then my one-year old wants the younger level poems as soon as we're finished.

I really like how the book's content is divided into age appropriateness. There's always more to read, and no rush.