Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 December 2013
In relation to the other books in this series, A Dance of Mirrors was a bit of a disappointment and didn't live to the high standards of the other two Shadowdance books.

However, I still turned every page as quickly as possible in order to read the next one and find out what was going on, so how can I possibly give this book anything less than four stars.

In this novel a handful of the key characters including Haern leave Veldarn to go to Angelport and deal with a new threat that has arisen there. This in itself was a move I greatly appreciated for so often people get trapped into routines when writing fantasy and it is good that this author caught the possible trend to his writing before it began and changed up the formula a bit.

This novel dealt Haern a number of new threats that he very nearly couldn't overcome. Whether in the form of a ruthless enemy willing to do the brutal things that Haern could not, the form of a killer called Wraith who might just be even more deadly than Haern himself or from first sightings of elves in this series, there was a lot more peril for our hero than in previous novels. I can honestly say that there was not a moment in this book that I was sure who would survive at the end and who would not and that is always a good thing.

However, the one point where this book let me down was in one of the plot lines that really began to grate on my nerves. One of the plot lines with the elves can only work if the characters willfully ignore information that is right in front of their noses and that kind of writing always feels lazy to me and gets in the way of the story that is to follow. When there are at least three scenes that I can think of where this obvious misinformation becomes a blatant detriment to the story, it becomes a real frustration.

Still it was not enough of a flaw to ruin this book for me and I am again eagerly looking forward to the next. I know that this book was originally intended to end a trilogy but there are rumors that there will be another so I can only keep my fingers crossed in hope.

My only fear with more books will be that Haern and co become a replica of R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden and co and these books become repetitive and don't go anywhere. So far that trap has been hinted at but the author has not yet taken the bait so fingers crossed that the next book (if there is one) moves this story, the characters and their relationships, on nicely.

Overall a good read and an enjoyable way to pass an evening.
on 21 February 2014
I'm not wordsy and do not want to go into the plot of the book as it's all there in the product description so I'm just going to tell you why you should read this.
If you have read the previous books in the series then you probably don't need a review as you will be so excited to read it that you won't see these till after. If you haven't read the previous books I would go find those first if I were you ;-)
I'm a MASSIVE fan of this author and have read every one of his books more than once.
I liked the change in this one and the fact that you already feel you know the characters really makes them feel like old friends. I feel like I know the characters and I share the adventure with them. This book is well written and very difficult to put down. Immerse yourself and get lost in this world just don't blame me when time escapes you and you realise you've been up all night because you didn't want to put the book down.
on 14 April 2014
Love the Series and cannot wait till may for book 4!
This book takes us away from home to an adventure down south, bloody and gripping.

Would reccomend buying the full series if you are reading this in the future because if your anything like me you will need book as soon as you have finished this one!

A wonderful world has been created and i cannot wait to see what the watcher has become in the half orc series!
on 29 August 2014
I bought every booked published by this author who does write incredibly well. As with all eBooks in my possession there are typos and misspellings which ought not to be there. Also I'm a fast reader and think some books could have been put together. At times it felt like buying episodes rather than a chunky book. However I will buy more books as they are published because the author is talented and tells a good tale. A good read.
on 29 July 2014
Great series, very interesting to read the notes from the author and see his uncertainty over this series, but I have not been able to stop reading them, and urge him to hurry up and get the next one out soon hahaha. If you have read any of the other books then this lives up to those standards and improves in some ways too. Highly recommended.
on 10 June 2014
Book reviews can be lengthy and people dissect the characters and plot lines, but for me it's simple ......... if it grabs me and I can't put it down, I just have to get to the end of the next chapter and the next one, then the author has done their job. Love the characters, love the books. Keep them coming please.
on 12 March 2014
Wasn't too sure what I was getting at first, this was an experimental purchase. However, I completely enjoyed all 3 books, the story, the characters & their development. I will be looking out for more work by this author, & hopefully there shall be more involving the characters from this trilogy.
on 21 February 2014
A brilliant third instalment to the shadowdance series, with Haern going from strength to strength. Great character development as ever from Dalglish, and an intriguing plot which always keeps you guessing.
on 9 March 2015
This book really had me guessing until the end and even when we do find out who the Wraith was I never saw it coming! Glad Haern stopped when he did so he didn't become like the Wraith!
on 3 March 2015
Seemed to be stretched out a bit for me. Book 2 really got going and made me wanna buy this book.
Very disappointed in it really. It's more of a waffle than a story.