Format: Paperback|Change

This is a series that's grown on me since its original book. Why? Well the lead character is a very strange mix of the weird as he's not only a diviner with a past but also a character who seeks to make sense of the world he's in as well as trying to survive the troubles that keep cropping up on his doorstep.

Here in this title is a story that takes full advantage of this, it delves into the characters dark past, has wonderful prose and of course has a pace that in itself is almost magical. Throw in some solid action sequences and all round you'll be more than happy you did.
on 24 January 2014
After reading the first three books quickly I found myself having to wait for the fourth and I have to say it did not disappoint. This book dives more into Alex's past and as a result is a little darker at times but I loved it. I love how Alex is characterized and loved how the supporting characters aren't forgotten and are developed over each book even though they may not feature as prominently as they have done in the previous books. I couldn't put it down and cannot wait for the next one! Benedict Jacka is an excellent author and I would definitely recommend his books!
on 10 April 2014
While I don't think you always need to read a series of books in order, it can help you understand the back story. 'Chosen' would easily stand by itself, and is another great story that grips you from the beginning, drawing you into a world, hidden in plain site from the lives of 'normal' people.

The adversary faced in this story by the hero and central character, Alex Verus, is one unlike anything he has faced before, and once again the odds or stacked against him. How he solves the problem is something to keep the reader guessing.
on 15 November 2013
this is great carry on in an exciting fun adventure series can not wait for nxt book i mean what a clif hanger ending.
on 15 January 2016
Alex Verus is in a world of trouble, something foul from his past has finally caught up to him, every path is either appalling, terrifying or simply unthinkable no TV or Movie ending here folks, all I can say is its brutal!
And Chosen is the best one yet, never tried a Alex Verus novel easiest way to entice you is to say Jim Butchers 'Dresden' would stay well away from Verus 'nuff said'
on 6 October 2013
I thought the character development and plot were really good in this one and particularly enjoyed the on going lack of romance. These are plot driven and versus stands out. Makes me want to play with my own world. Urban fantasy and very good urban fantasy. If you've made it this far take the final step and buy it. You won't be disappointed
on 5 October 2013
This is the latest (at the time of writing) installment in the Alex Versus story. The series is sufficiently different from all the pap out there to retain my interest and keep me buying the books as soon as they are released. This book was not a disappointment and the timely delivery from the supplier was more than welcome.
on 11 September 2013
I thoroughly enjoyed this book as I have done for the other Alex Veras novels. Great idea, page turning, and weaves great imagery of the magic world. The characters varied and interesting. Very easy to read, almost too easy, but lots of fun and inspires me to contemplate how many varied ways magic can work.
on 11 September 2013
Chosen is an interesting book, in that the main character does some pretty nasty things, and some pretty stupid things, and you come away thinking, ok. The reason is the strength of the writing and the character. Alex is not a black or white character, he is grey. This book really focuses on this as Alex has to face up to consequences arising from some of his actions in the past. You can argue all you like on whether those consequences are fair, or Alex's response to them, but they fit within the world and what might happen. There is no feeling of reaching with the plot. Similarly the character does make some stupid decisions within the book - but there are reasons for this and the character actually realises what they are.

This book (and series) is not your average Urban Fantasy where something wacky, out of left field, or plain stupid is used to move the plot along. The characters are real, the interactions are real, and what we have is a story with actual moral arguments. And consequences for the characters actions - both those now and those in the past. Add to that great personalities and some humour, and I honestly can't recommend this series enough.
on 30 October 2013
In this book we find about loads more about Alex's troubled past with the dark mage, Richard Drakh. I literally couldn't put my kindle down till I'd finished this book. No spoilers, but the scene is set at the end for what promises to be an epic showdown in the next book! Can't wait!