5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks is the master of fantasy.
Published 8 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down.
I have read every one of the Shannara books and loved them all. I was therefore understandably thrilled when the third book of the latest trilogy was released - downloading the lot to read in one sitting. Sadly the book let itself down.

Published 11 months ago by Chris

5.0 out of 5 stars Terry Brooks is the master of fantasy., 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara (Hardcover)
I came to read my first Terry Brooks book, when a friend at work loaned me Magic Kingdom For Sale - Sold. For my then young daughter. My daughter did not bother to read it, so I did. I was hooked I have read every book he has written and am always impatiently waiting for the next volume to appear. Following on from the Shannara books, Terry writes in sets of three, each book as compelling as the one before and always leaving you eager to read next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shannara - Still entrancing 35+ years on!!!!, 13 Jan 2014
I have vivid memories of being about 9 years old and Mom having us 3 kids sitting around her on the bed whilst she read "The Sword of Shannara" to us. I was as enthralled and captivated then as I am now. I have read all of Terry Brooks books (except Star Wars - The Phantom Menace) including the "Landover" & "Word & the Void" series and I love them all. I found it a stroke of TOTAL GENIUS when Shannara was linked to "The Word & the Void". It is good fun to go back and read all the Shannara books in Chronological order sometimes, as Terrys' writing often moves about the different eras in Shannara history. I now pre-order the books as soon as they appear on Ammazon.

If you want a world to get lost in for a while I can totally recommend the Shannara books, all of them!! Ingenius twists and turns, wonderful characters you can really relate to and feel for, or dark and mysterious characters like Allanon that you long to learn more about and unravel the mysteries of. Every new book just leaves me hungry & impatient for the next.

4.0 out of 5 stars great series, 11 Oct 2013
picks up where the last left off so you can get into it from the start worth reading the series

4.0 out of 5 stars Shannara, 10 Oct 2013
With many plot lines, I began to feel I was following a
soap opera. And much taking place in two realms, one of
which was quite dark, I wondered if Terry Brooks could pull it off.
He did, but I was quite wrung out at the end.

2.0 out of 5 stars Such a let down., 14 Aug 2013

The ending was poor, with far too many loose ends and convenient fixes. The beginning was also poor and far too drawn out, with a focus on word count, rather than quality. The middle was better written, but sadly only to the point of mediocre.

The biggest let down though was the complete absence of plot - new plot, anyway. It seemed more like a mail-merge of the previous books than anything vaguely original. I have read the other books. If I want to read them again, then I can. I do not need to read what seems like a schoolchild's attempt to combine them into a new trilogy.

Disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing finish for a disappointing trilogy, 31 July 2013
From the time I first started reading fantasy I have been a die hard Terry Brooks fan, especially being a fan of his Shannarah series. I have read them all and rated even the weaker books highly for I simply love the series so much. Therein lies the problem.

I really wanted to give this book a higher star rating, even now I am hovering over the next star wanting to at least give it a four but I simply can't. Even though I read the book in one sitting I have put it down and I am very unsatisfied feeling as though I need at least another hundred pages to properly polish off this series. It seemed that I kept flicking over the pages hoping that the story would some how rise from the ashes like the proverbial phoenix, that Mr Brooks would
somehow spin his usual magic and bring about a brilliant and hugely satisfying ending but alas that was not to be.

The story was filled with characters who continue on personal quests in spite of countless warnings not to, love stories that are so awkward that they belong in a high school soap opera and so many story lines it is impossible to get into any of them. Constantly the user is being pulled away from one story arc to the next and with each one it is hard not to scream at the page as you might at a bad horror movie as the characters constantly stumble into situations they really should have avoided.

One of the most frustrating elements of the book however, is the rehashing of plot lines we have read before. This book... this entire series, was an amalgamation of The Elfstones of Shannara, the First King of Shannara, The High Druid of Shanara and the Voyage of the Jerle Shanara series. There are elements borrowed from all of these previous and great books that are weaved together to create a new novel that really isn't all that new at all.

Obviously there is more to the novel than that but really the ending did seem quite rushed and quite familiar which is sad when I have always been proud to be a fan of Terry Brooks because he is usually good at producing something which is, if not entirely, then at least has an elements that are new and original. He is still the only author I know who has taken his fantasy world through thousands of years and allowed that world to evolve with the passing of centuries which has worked out so well for this series that it is sad to see nothing new come of this.

One thing that has changed with Mr Brooks writing for the better I think was his ruthlessness with his characters. In the style of George R R Martin his characters were put through a great deal in this series and their fates were rarely happy ones and often surprising. Probably about seventy percent of the main characters don't make it through to the final pages, or at least they don't in one piece and that is fine with me. It adds a level of tension to the writing when you can't rely on that happy ending.

This book has by no means put me off Terry Brooks, I am as much a fan of his as I have ever been before. That said I look forward to him getting back on form as I don't think he has been producing his best work since he masterfully joined the Word and the Void Series with the Shannara series in the The Genesis of Shannara, the last book of which came out five years ago.

Fingers crossed now and bring on the next series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 2 July 2014
Absolutely fantastic end to the trilogy!! Brooks never disappoints!! Make sure you have plenty of tissues, it will break your heart!

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping, 25 Jun 2014
I always enjoy the escape these books provide. I find myself embroiled in the world and wanting it not to end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wishing it didn't have to end., 18 Jun 2014
A fitting end to the series. I'd begun to wonder how it was all going to come together. It managed it well, though. A recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge of your seat, 8 Jun 2014
Terry has managed again to create a world where you are emerged into the story and it's characters. The whole series keeps you reading until the early hours of the morning!
You work your way through all the emotions from excitement and fear to hope and disparate.

Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara
Witch Wraith: Book 3 of The Dark Legacy of Shannara by Terry Brooks (Hardcover - 16 July 2013)
15.83