4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with some reservations
It's an another example of classic urban fantasy and an excellent read on its own, but the truth is, I'm getting tired of never-ending game of hide and seek. I miss the days when Atticus owned his shop, had a bunch of friends and a pretty waitress to ogle while they were out for a beer.

The tone of the series in general became much darker and in the process a...
Published 13 months ago by kara-karina (Nocturnal Book Re...

3.0 out of 5 stars series that has lost its mojo
In a continuation of the previous books, Atticus (along with Granuaile and Oberon) are on the run. A significant character is dead and they need to race through Europe to get to England. The first two thirds of the book is the chase through various countries. And then the showdown is in Windsor Great Park.

For me this never got above okay and the series...
Published 12 months ago by Nick Brett

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended with some reservations, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)

The tone of the series in general became much darker and in the process a lot of the lightness and humour which so attracted me in the beginning were lost. Don't get me wrong, it's a very entertaining series, but you do get tired of constant running and fighting for everyone's life. I also don't get why everyone is out to get the poor Druid, especially the vampires? He is only one man and he certainly follows the rule of "live and let live" as in you don't try to kill him and he generally leaves you alone. So, what the hell?

If you read Trapped already, you know that it ended with the beginning of a great chase by Olympians. Most of Hunted Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon spend running from Artemis and Diana, vampires, dark elves and Loki, which is a lot to handle. Atticus also tries to unravel the intrigues behind his back in Tir na nOg while simultaneously attempting to stop Ragnarok.

That's enough to make you head hurt.

There are couple of heart-breaking moments in the book, and a slightly bizarre few chapters from Granuaile's point of view, and while it's a gripping and action-driven urban fantasy, my rating is lower than usual because I think that the series in general took a downturn. I personally would love to see Atticus and Granuaile settle down somewhere and chill the hell out for a few years.

The only one with a stellar performance as usual is Oberon. He should get an Oscar for his "get to the choppa!" speech. Recommended with some reservations.

3.0 out of 5 stars series that has lost its mojo, 15 Aug 2013
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)

For me this never got above okay and the series seems to be declining. I'm sorry about that because it was a good idea and initially very well delivered with wit and clever application. But I tire of Oberon's sausage and poodle jokes and the current story thread has run on a little too long (although in fairness the author does close it down in this book).

So, a chase wrapped around some God politics and bad guys. It lacks the interaction with real people and the usual clever ideas so it is okay but not much more than that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than sausages, 25 Jun 2013
This series is one of my favorites. A great premise, a 2000+ year old druid and his faithful hound. Its fast paced, funny and full of interesting characters.

The series is about Atticus, the Iron Druid, a follower of Tuatha de Danann. It is an urban fantasy and based in our world. All the gods and monsters are real, from Loki to Zeus with a supporting cast of gods and devils from every pantheon.

This story continues from the last installment with Greco-Roman pantheon still chasing Atticus, his wolfhound Oberon and Granuaile, his old apprentice and now newly minted druid.

The story for the most part focuses on their attempted escape and evasion from Diana and Artemis. For the first time since the short story Test of Mettle we get to see things not only from Atticus' point of view but also from Granuailes. There are some emotional sucker punches in this book which caught me by surprise but for the most part this is more of the same Iron Druid that I know and love. It is quick, humorous, full of magic, meat products and more than a little cheese.

This is one of the rare authors who actually makes me laugh out loud.

If I have to criticize, which is difficult as Kevin Hearne is one of my all time favorite authors, the series can occasionally stagger under the weight of all the panthea and monsters it has introduced. Thankfully, very few more were added in this book.

I would strongly advise that you read the books in sequence from Hounded rather than start here but be warned you will never look at an Irish Wolfhound the same way again.

Overall, its better than sausages.

3.0 out of 5 stars hard going, 5 Oct 2013
I am sorry to say that this one was the hardest to read so far. I like the characters (and the dog) but feel they were more interesting in earlier books. The dog veered further into slapstick, which was a mixed blessing. Where I found it particularly difficult was the plot...

It basically boiled down to a chase that lasted for 4/5ths of the book, with various walk on parts by different Irish, Norse, Greek and Roman pantheon gods. None of them hung around long enough to be more than cardboard cut outs. The last 1/5th of the book became more interesting, and opened up some interesting plot opportunities, but (sad to say) it didn't make up for the rest of the book.

If this was an episode in a tv series, it would be 'a filler episode' where they are saving up for a big series climax, make a few simple, cheap episodes in the middle to cut down on costs and special effects.

On the other hand, I still like the writing style, the main characters and the world.

Will I read the next in the series... Maybe...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the best but heading in that direction, 14 Aug 2013
This review is from: Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)
I am quite a fan of the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne and was really looking forward to this book being released. I have to say I was not disappointed. Whilst it was not as good as the first 3 in the series it is a drastic improvement on book 4 (Tricked) and has climbed slightly higher than book 5 (Trapped)

This book kicks off exactly where Trapped ends and launches into a fast paced and exciting story with our two favourite Druids and their trusty hound being chased across Europe. I will not delve into the story (no spoilers here).

The only real gripe I have is that there was no real need to give us a few chapters from Granuaile's point of view get back to Atticus and continue on with the story!!!!

Only other thing I would say is that as always Oberon steals the show with his witty banter and slick movie references that often gave laugh out loud moments which earned me some funny looks when reading in public

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but a dip in the overall standard, 21 July 2013
For me the first two thirds of this book were lacklustre and the notable events that took place could be summed up in a short sentence. Where this series shines is in the banter between the characters and there was little of that to pick it up. The final third improved and I have high hopes for some good banter in the next book from the character introduced at the very end.

4.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely corking Urban Fantasy, 14 July 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)
Over the last few years Urban Fantasy has been hit with a fair number of classics and to be honest one of my real treats (alongside a new Jim Butcher Dresden Files title) is the ever prolific Kevin Hearne who gives me not only s kick ass story but a whole host of characters that I love to spend time around from a 2000 year old Druid through to meddlesome gods out for vengeance.

As usual the pace is ideal, the plotline gripping and when added to an authors writing style that just keeps the reader wanting more, all round makes this series something that you just can't help but love. Great all round.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great instalment, 14 July 2013
Another great instalment in the "Iron Druid" series. I feel I should apologise for giving only 4 stars but as I said in another review, I rarely give 5 stars and for me, 4 stars means that the book is an exceptionally good read. The overarching plot continues to develop with an internal consistency that is admirable over a series like this.

The characters continue to hold my interest and affection, mostly because the author allows them to grow and develop but also because they are just so darned likeable. As someone who has read reasonably widely about the world's mythologies I have yet to find any interpretation that strikes me as awkward or contrary to my own thoughts around the key figures who weave their way in and out of the story.

The passion of the Druids for the earth and their relationship with Gaia is particularly well-written - and in case anyone thinks that pushes the story into neo-pagan namby-pamby land, let me assure you it is nothing of the kind. The writing around this relationship is perceptive, as is the musing by the main character about his relationship with the Morrigan.

The word "whimsical" kept coming into mind as I considered how best to write this review; humorous, quirky, quaint, witty and playful. All the synonyms are apt description of a book that really is a delight to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 8 July 2013
Aww I didn't want it to end! Make the books longer! :) seriously can't wait for the next one. Great ending.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolutely first class!, 28 Jun 2013
This series gets better and better. I find myself thumbing hopefully at the edge of my iPad, searching for just a few more pages.

Seriously, if you haven't started on this series... Why not?

Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Hunted (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin Hearne (Paperback - 25 Jun 2013)
5.59