4.0 out of 5 stars Improving
Published 19 months ago by Mr D

3.0 out of 5 stars 12 years later...
I love the cover for this; it's so nice to see Granuaile on there. And it was great to be back with the trio again (adding in Oberon, of course) but I have to say this was probably my least favourite book in the Iron Druid Chronicles so far.

I don't know if maybe it was me not paying close enough attention or if it was just a bit all over the place, but I spent...
Published 20 months ago by The Demon Librarian

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Improving, 13 Dec 2012
After what I felt was a poor fourth book (lots of great mythology, little real plot) I enjoyed reading this book, it kept my interest and made me laugh in all the right places (Oberon's the best). I have only given it four stars because, with the introduction of all the new baddies, the potential for a truely gripping and outstanding sequel is set. If the next book book fulfills all that is promised then I can't wait to read it and anticipate that five star rating.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treasure Funny Writers ... and Hearne is one, 8 Dec 2012
This review is from: Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)
Too many gods, in whichever pantheon, are pompous. I like the way Hearne sticks pins and needles into their notions of their importance.

Then, when you add Oberon's outlook on human foibles, whether it's the merits of sausage or human mating habits, you're guaranteed a bunch of smiles.

This book kept me reading, but couldn't quite compete with all the Christmas brouhaha. Maybe if I read it after New Year's, I would of given it Five Stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of fun, 20 Jan 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)
Having fallen for Kevin's Iron Druid series since the first book it's been something of a must read each time a new one comes out. Here in the latest is a book that really keeps up the momentum that has been built up over the previous four excursions, the characters crisp, the prose sharp and when added to a kick ass plot with huge underlying arcs and historical payback, really makes this a book to savour.

Add to this a wonderful sense of familiarity with the characters that you care about, some wonderful turns of phrase as well as a great authorly directorial style and all round another tick in my happy reader box. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars Trapped The Fifth Installment of the Iron Druid Chronicles, 2 Jan 2013
This review is from: Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles) (Paperback)
The entire series is about the last druid Atticus. For almost 2000 years he has been a fugitive and hardly a master of his own fate. In America, however, he finds compelling reasons to make a stand against his enemies and make it his permanent home. Along the way, there are hilarious escapades as he deals with all manner of supernatural threats.
Being alone, he is forced to make faustian deals in order to get the firepower to fight enemies which are literally gods but at last, in this 5th book, he is managing to train his 2nd and only living apprentice, the lovely Granuaile. Now, it could be two druids instead of one against a plethora of threats including the original force which annihilated the druidic order.

Sacrificing a little humour and entertainment, this is still a very enjoyable book. This book sets develops both plot and characters leading to a cliffhanger that sets up the scene for Atticus and Granuaile to fight back against the mysterious antagonist which killed all the ancient druids leaving Atticus the lone survivor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it., 31 Dec 2012
I read the first of the Iron Druid Chronicles and was hooked. Kevin Hearne, who I'd never heard of till then, can write more of these and I will eat em up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed the whole series, 30 Dec 2012
K. Goff (Prosperity, SC USA) - See all my reviews
After reading the first of the Iron Druid Chronicles, I quickly downloaded and read the rest of the series as well. Oberon has made me laugh out loud several times - it is simply enjoyable light reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Drama and suspense, 16 Dec 2012
A. Smith "Ado" (Beer town staffs UK) - See all my reviews
While I enjoyed reading this a lot, it was to short, every thing happens in a breathless rush. Events happen so fast, that the reader like the Druid has no slow time, so the actors are spread thin and you get very little of their personalties. The dog Oberon has the most presence of all of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent continuation of the Iron Druid's story, 15 Dec 2012
Dr. Stephen Culshaw (Newbury, UK) - See all my reviews
Another story about the Iron Druid, another series of late nights ... just another chapter ...

So along with Harry Dresden, Alex Verus and Matthew Swift, we've got Aticus

Whole series well recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars A sad end to what was a promising series, 13 Jan 2013
I'd been looking forward to the release of Trapped for some time. Seeing that it was being released on the same day as the new 'Dresden' book caused me no end of dilemmas trying to sort out which to read first.

In actuality, I needn't have worried. Trapped is a tortured mess of a book, characters that I once found to be wry, witty and amusing have devolved into one trick ponies - yes Oberon, we get you like sausages already! I faithfully finished the book however, persevering and hoping for an ending to make my suffering worthwhile. What I got instead, was to sit back and go "huh... nothing happened".

That's the main failing in my opinion of this book - nothing of any real note happens. Yes the characters do stuff and most of it is in service of the 'big picture story-arc' - my problem was that nothing was new. It was the Norse Gods, it was Bacchus, it was Perun, it was all stuff we've seen before.

I know I'll probably read the next book in the series, and probably the one after that. That says more about my hatred for an unfinished story than it does the quality of the storytelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping Page Turner, 7 Jan 2013
This is several books in from when we are first introduced to the Iron Druid and his world. I have read all the books published so far in this series, with this one the latest release. I would say this book is up to the same standard as the others, i.e. a good page turner. The characters are developing far from the first book. The apprentice graduates in more ways than one and begins to take on a more than support role in the storyline. The iron druid himself seems to be needing to confront his internal demons as much as external enemies. Various gods show up and there are some high octane fight scenes. By the end (no spoilers) I was left wanting more, but satisfied with the book. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles)
Trapped (Iron Druid Chronicles) by Kevin Hearne (Paperback - 29 Nov 2012)
5.59