4.0 out of 5 stars Inflicts 'sequel fatigue' towards the end

4.0 out of 5 stars Inflicts 'sequel fatigue' towards the end, 10 May 2015
Dr. Michael Heron (Brechin) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
I can't say for sure that each of the three Ender's Saga books I've read has been better than the last - they're all too different to really invite easy comparisons. I will say though that I thought Speaker for the Dead was much better than Ender's Game, and I think Xenocide is every bit as good as Speaker for the Dead. It has the same contemplative, introspective philosophising as SftD but with an entirely different focus. It also benefits from introducing a new thread of the story, centred on Qing-Jao and her father - the Godspoken of a colony planet called Path. I began feeling somewhat cold towards this part of the tale, but as it went on it grew to be my favourite lens through which to view the actions of the main protagonists. It offered a view of the bigger picture of the ongoing political context that deepened the more intimate portrayals of the main story.

If the book suffers from anything, it's a kind of 'sequel fatigue' - at the end of the third Ender's book, I was ready for the whole thing to be wrapped up. I was somewhat disappointed that it continues onto a fourth book since it seems that it could so easily have been an extremely good trilogy rather than a somewhat stretched out quadrology. A particular 'plot twist' at the end removes any real hope of a satisfactory conclusion and sends the series spiralling off into a direction that veers dangerously into the territory of its own posterior. The final chapter of Xenocide is as poignant as any I've read in science-fiction, and it would have been a fitting capstone for a tremendously well constructed body of work. Whether I still feel that way after Children of the Mind remains to be seen, but I can't say I've started that with anything approaching the enthusiasm with which I started Xenocide.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hard work, 26 Jan. 2014
J. Casey "superfreak" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
Wow, I really liked the previous two books in the Ender series, but this one was hard work. Too often the narrative flow stalls with character's self musings that are a little too esoteric, literally when this starts you can skip two or three pages and the skipped material has zero impact on the overall plot. The characters are also less likeable, I found myself not really caring what happended to any of them. I mean it isn't a terrible book, it simply isn't as engaging as its predecessors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and thought provoking, yet fast paced and intense. My favourite fantasy sci fi book., 20 April 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
This book is extremely captivating and fast paced and pulls you in from the start. This book has extremely inspiring quotes and makes you rethink aspects of human life. It's especially interesting because you get to view human life from the point of an entirely different sentient being, so humans are judged from an outsider's perspective. I have really enjoyed this series due to it's diversity, they are always fast moving with lots of action, and at the same time are deep, philosophical and ethical.
Written by a 15 year old boy

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but a bit hard going., 31 July 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
Whilst it is not as different as the speaker of the dead was to ender's game it does introduce some new characters and freshens things up a bit. I did enjoy it and will most likely buy the next book in the series but I did find the book hard going at times especially when talking about theoretical stuff like faster than the speed of light travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 26 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
It was hard to put this book down but I could not read it all in one go as there was too much to take in and think about. Amazingly imaginative, the story telling pulls you in from the start. A great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ender book three, 8 May 2014
Mr. E. Bray (North-west United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
Not a bad tale, a bit weaker than the original, which kept you guessing. The ending of this one was fairly obvious well before the words got there.

5.0 out of 5 stars a few chapters in and the author is brilliant just like the last 3 books i can't put ..., 17 July 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
a few chapters in and the author is brilliant just like the last 3 books i can't put it donw, text flows, story line does not wane and all in all i would recommend it to all ages, not a pure sci-fi genre as its very anthropological at times and just well rounded.

2.0 out of 5 stars Perfer earlier books, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
I found this disappointing after books one and two and have not pursued this series further ... but did find "Earth Unaware" (with Aaron Johnson) in a local charity bookshop recently and very much enjoyed that. Perhaps time to try again?

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting book, 14 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
My 10 year old son enjoyed watching Ender's Game so I suggested him to read Ender's Saga. He is loving it and starting the fourth book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga (Paperback)
Like all the Ender's Game books i cant put it down and even though Ender has grown from his first book it is still an enjoyable read.

Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga
Xenocide: Book 3 of the Ender Saga by Orson Scott Card (Paperback - 2 May 2013)