Format: Paperback|Change

This is a bit of a strange book for me as it started with the authors first outing (Masques) which personally I found full of flaws such as the magic system as well as being perhaps a little naïve in what it was out to achieve, yet through all this I was still charmed by one of the principle heroes of the piece, Wolf (I found Aralorn a bit weak for my liking).

That tale takes you on a traditional fantasy route and when added to the authors writing style it manages to hold your interest as it wends its merry way to its conclusion. Whilst I haven't been a fan of all the authors writing, I do have to admit to loving her Mercy Thompson series and there were touches of that within this text, yet when you came to the second part (Wolfsbane) the author really does seem to have learned a few lessons and whilst the relationship between Wolf and Aralorn has moved on it does feel a little forced.

All in it's a book that will appeal to fans however please be aware that it is the authors earliest work and as such won't be as polished as you've come to expect.
on 9 October 2012
I had no real expectations of this book especially as I knew that Masques was one of the authors early works, but I was drawn into the story very quickly and barely put the books down. Aralorn and Wolf are compelling characters and the stories are well paced and captivating....I have read several Patricia Briggs books before and I particularly like the Alpha and Omega series - a lot of similarities can be drawn between Anna and Charles (Alpha and Omega) and Wolf and Aralorn.
on 4 April 2013
If you read the writers notes you will see that Patricia Briggs has said that this is one of her first ever books that she wrote. For some reason when it was first published apparently the sales were not good so it was discontinued.

Personally I have just finished reading this and loved it and finding myself hoping there is another book waiting to continue the story!

I love Patricia Briggs books, this to my joy was no exception.

The characters are lovable and it is the kind of book that you will start reading at 9pm and before you realise it is 2am!!
on 15 August 2013
This books is a very early attempt of Patricia Briggs to write this genre of book. I struggled very much to read the first story Masques and although I thought the second story was better, it was easy to see that Patricia Briggs was just finding her style of writing.
Very glad to say she has definitely improved and I am glad to read any of her later books( in fact I am now waiting with bated breathe for her next new book.
on 19 November 2013
I like Patricia Brigg's books, and enjoyed this one. There are two stories, both about the same characters, Aralorn and her wolf, doing things that can only happen in fantasies: lots of magic, evil creatures, shape-shifting, etc. I like this author because she is able to make the readers feel the emotions that her characters are feeling, and only a handful of writers can do that for me. Four stars, and recommended.
on 8 December 2012
I'm a big fan of Patricia Briggs, I like the way that the caractures
feel real and you can connect with them even though it's fantasy.
You can tell that Briggs has not quite mastered her writing standard you see
in her later books, but the story is good but a little obvious.
but if your a fan of Patrcia Briggs it's a must read.
on 23 March 2013
Masques and wolfsbane by Patricia Briggs Was an absolutely great Read. The story was good so was the characters in the book, it just makes you Feel as if your part of it I just love reading Briggs books. I highly recommended if you've read any of her other books or even if you haven't just try one and you'll see what I mean
on 8 November 2012
If you want a simple read that has good characters, some action and interesting world-building this is OK. It wont tax your brain but is a good one for a cold and rainy Sunday afternoon when you need entertainment. Never drags and is always interesting and easy to read.
on 8 November 2012
i bought this as thought would be interesting to see how she started. i couldnt finish it. i got bored half way through. i love allher other works and this wont stop me buying them but this was a disapointment. just shows how much she has improved with her writing
on 8 December 2012
Both of these were lovely stories - don't get put off by the author's note at the front. After reading that I thought that they were going to be immature and jilted. But they weren't. Both are what I'd term a gentle read - and certainly best for Y.A. fiction.