5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying read
Published 7 months ago by Anne

2.0 out of 5 stars not much of a read
Mercy Thompson's novels are usually a good read but this one is so far fetched that I lost all interest in the plot and what are are usually a fascinating set of characters.
The author seems to be running out of ideas and is just filling in space - I know it is fantasy but it has to have some parts that are believable.
Published 1 day ago by ts

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfying read, 11 Mar 2014
Anne (Sheffield, Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The core of this book is the reappearance of Adam's ex-wife Christy as a damsel in distress triggering his protective instinct and creating havoc in the lives of Mercy, her family, and the pack. Everyone knows someone like Christy - her ability to play the victim and to belittle and blame other people is breathtaking but very realistic and hugely funny as Mercy does her best not to lose her temper or otherwise react. Christy really is in trouble and by fleeing to the pack for help (and also to try to get Adam back) she brings danger with her without the capacity to deal with it. The search for Christy's stalker and his revealed identity represents the real danger in the werewolf world and contrasts well with Christy's nonsense.

The joy of getting to this volume in the series is that the author doesn't just tell the same story over and over again but she has actually developed her characters through their experiences in previous volumes and we see that in the way that they react to each other and the events of this book. This means that it is probably best if you have read some or all of the previous books as you will understand many of the nuances better than if this is your first exposure to the series. I have read all the previous books and the Alpha/Omega series too and it really added to my enjoyment of this book as there are fleeting references to all sorts of previous events which add real depth to the story (there is also a delightful passing reference to Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden novels which nearly made me laugh out loud).

The core of the book is Christy's return, the effect that it has on Mercy's relationships with the pack, and the problems that she brings with her. The author creates a fascinating adversary for Mercy in a god from the Canary Islands. There are other sub-plots too which are neatly interwoven with the main story and which leave lots of new story lines to be explored (hopefully) in future volumes; these include a fellow walker for Mercy to get to know, an unexpected discovery about Stefan the vampire, trouble for Tad with the fae, a secret government agency which has nefarious designs on werewolves, a new submissive werewolf for the pack with his secrets, a new member of the pack who is not a werewolf, and a difficulty with the ownership of the magic walking stick. I am really looking forward to seeing what the author does in the future with some of this material.

The book is told all the way through in the first person from Mercy's point of view and is full of her wry observations about other people and her sarcastic wit. There are some very funny moments, some very scary ones, and some tender scenes. In all, this is a captivating read - I was gripped all the way through up to the very sudden, but effective, ending. It is going to be very difficult to wait for the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great instalment, 11 Mar 2014
Briggs writing draws me in so easily. I ended up reading this book in one sitting.

Night Broken is #8 in the Mercy Thompson series of urban fantasy novels. If you have read the previous seven books then the main characters need no introduction. If you haven't read them I highly recommend you go read the first book in the series, Moon Called, as Night Broken is not really a stand alone novel.

Night Broken is about Mercy's 'ex-wife in-law' Christy calling and saying she fell for a guy who's now stalking her and killing people, basically, she needs help. Mercy offers the woman sanctuary at her and Adam's home.

Whilst dealing with the manipulative ex living in her home is going on in the background we have Mercy trying to deal with Christy's homicidal stalker, an investigation into the local brutal murders plus a personal request from a powerful fae.

I enjoyed the story and the action, which as usual was excellent, but I felt Night Broken was more focused on relationships. Not only the romantic ones but all relationships between several characters in this series. I normally tend to get frustrated with romantic writings within urban fantasy. However, I found the small tender moments between Adam and Mercy to be some of the highlights of the book.

The ending felt slightly abrupt to me I had to check a couple of times to see if I had missed a few pages or an epilogue. The main story was wrapped up but there were many sub-plots left open which I am sure will be investigated later.

Overall, an essential read for all fans of Mercy Thompson.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mercy Thompson book 8, 15 May 2014
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Night Broken: A Mercy Thompson Novel (Hardcover)
It's no secret I'm a huge fan of the Mercy Thompson series, I'm incredibly invested in these characters and I adore Mercy and Adam as a couple. I have to admit I was nervous about picking up Night Broken because Adam's ex-wife Christy is back on the scene and ready to cause trouble. I was worried that she would find a way to come between Mercy and Adam and put a spanner in their relationship and I would have been devastated if that was the case. Thankfully I needn't have worried, yes, Christy tries to cause trouble and yes, she manages to get some of the pack on her side but not once did I get the feeling she would cause a split between Adam and Mercy.

Mercy is a bigger woman than I am and when she heard that Christy was in trouble she knew she had to offer her a safe place to stay. No matter how much she didn't want Christy around she gritted her teeth and got on with it. Christy is without a doubt a bitch, I absolutely hated her and the way she was so good at twisting things to make herself look good. She's really quite pathetic and takes no responsibility for her own actions, preferring to blame it on someone else and take the easy way out. I can't tell you how annoyed I was that most of the Pack couldn't see what she was doing. She manipulates them like a pro and it doesn't take long for them to turn on Mercy which makes me so mad I can't see straight. Even though Christy does everything she can to make Mercy jealous I was proud of Mercy for being so secure in her relationship, she never once doubts that Adam is hers and she would never let anything happen to change that. I love that they have such a strong relationship and I love Adam more than ever for the way he stands up for Mercy. I also have to mention that Mercy's revenge at the very end of the book was absolutely priceless!

It was nice to see that Mercy has a few unexpected allies within the pack, a couple of people who I expected to side with Christy didn't but unfortunately the majority of them would take any excuse to get rid of the unwanted coyote. I was annoyed on Mercy's behalf but I think more than anything I was annoyed for Adam. He has given up so much to protect them all, he has been loyal to them and cared for them and even though they all know that Mercy is his world they refuse to accept her. I really hope that Adam puts his foot down soon and that everyone is told in no uncertain terms to suck it up or get lost. Thankfully there is one particular scene that I think shows Mercy starting to gain the pack's respect but seriously how much more does the woman have to go through to prove she is worthy of Adam? She's fought with them, bled with them, suffered more than any woman should ever have to go through and even risked her life to protect Adam so there has to come a point when enough is enough.

Alongside the drama that Christy brings to the table there is also plenty of action thanks to the enemy she has hot on her heels. The pack are facing off against a powerful foe who could destroy them all if they're not willing to hand Christy over. Mercy also has an unexpected visit from one of the grey lords thanks to the fae artefact that she gave to Coyote and she's now in a very difficult situation. Night Broken is another fab instalment to the series and I'm just gutted that I now have to settle in and wait for the next book to be released.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best Mercy stories in the series, 14 Mar 2014
Patricia Briggs is on top form with this new instalment in the Mercy Thompson series. Crisp, flowing delivery. Intriguing story arc, bringing in just enough back story to help existing fans pick up the threads, existing characters developed and introducing a couple of new characters.

I love the way these tales centre around the shape changer world yet give quality page time to the wider supernatural world: vampires, witches, fae and even those pesky humans.

I also love the perfect balance, for me, Ms Briggs has when writing sex scenes. No graphics, no Mills & Boon, just enough to fuel the imagination.

The whole series is excellent stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, 27 Mar 2014
OK, so how hard is it to believe in a woman who can turn into a coyote at the drop of a hat and has so far killed murderous faie, a demon ridden vampire, various mercenary werewolves and a river monster, to name but a few? The answer is really easy. Patricia Briggs makes it all so believable. Mercy Thompson is so likeable and anyone who has read the previous books will love this one too, although coming up against a volcano god from Tenerife, not to mention Adam's ex-wife really puts her ingenuity to the test. Another winner. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mercy returns, 19 Mar 2014
This book has been a long time in coming and was worth the wait. Although it seemed slightly slower paced than previous books, what I loved was the solidifying of Mercy and Adam's relationship, and the relationships of Mercy and the pack being explored in more detail. Christy is a well developed bitch and I loathed her instantly. A great story, thoroughly enjoyed. Roll on the next instalment quickly please

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great installment., 19 Mar 2014
I always love the Mercy books and this was another great instalment in a fantastic series. The characters and relationships develop really well with each book and the individual storyline in each is always well thought out and brilliantly written.

5.0 out of 5 stars good continuation, 16 Mar 2014
Interesting twists and turns involving most of the former characters and not losing sight of the overall theme round the different novels.
I now want the next in the series.
Wish she could write faster!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful story, 14 Mar 2014
I have read every book in the Mercy series now and this one doesn't disappoint. The characters are endearing, the humour is sharp and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I only hope she writes another...

4.0 out of 5 stars Happy Reader Time, 20 July 2014
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Night Broken: A Mercy Thompson Novel (Hardcover)
Mercy strikes back with trouble heading her way when Adam’s ex-wife returns with ulterior motives of her own. As usual with Patricia, the writing draws the reader in, with our heroine Mercy, growing into her new role within the pack as emotions run high in this epically charged title.

It has the usual sass, the quirkiness that I love and when added to cracking one liners, careful manipulation of the wording and of course a magical supporting cast all round generate something that is hard to put down. Back this up with great prose, wonderful turns of phrase and all round I was a more than happy reader.

Night Broken: A Mercy Thompson Novel
Night Broken: A Mercy Thompson Novel by Patricia Briggs (Hardcover - 11 Mar 2014)