5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down
What a fantastic continuation to a gripping series.

I couldn't put down this London-based steampunk/contemporary/urban fantasy mash-up. Xandy is a heroine whose life is in transition. Happily admitting she doesn't want to deal with all the life changing choices she has, the hunt for her missing brother is the driver of this book.

It's actually...
Published 24 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first 1
Published 24 months ago by Lord Snow Reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the first 1, 5 Feb. 2013
I loved God save the Queen. The characters were interesting, the plot was action packed and engaging. When I finished it I was eager to read the next installment. Perhaps my expectations were too high, I expected the same kind of novel here as the first 1. What you get instead is a highly watered down version focusing far more on Xandra's incisiveness. Yes I think we can all understand that she has gone through some shocking changes in the first book, but to have a whole book focused on her trying to come to terms with what she frankly seemed to come to terms with at the end of the first book is ridicules.

Nothing truly spectacular happens in this book, Xandra farts around, confirms to the reader that some people who we already knew were bad are defiantly bad. Even her love life which was mildly interesting in the first book annoys in this one. In the first book Vex and Xandra's relationship was new and so the fact that Vex was a relatively unexplored character was forgivable. In this book their relationship has been going on for a few months, but Vex still seems quite bland. He never seems to get angry, no matter how crazy Xandra gets. Maybe it just me, but he seems to perfect to be real.

I'm still going to get the next book when it comes out, but my expectations will be lower. Hopefully in book 3 we will see a return of the arse kicking Xandra from book 1 and not the Xandra from this book who seemed so concerned with public opinion of herself.

5.0 out of 5 stars I couldn't put this book down, 9 Feb. 2013
This review is from: The Queen Is Dead: Book 2 of the Immortal Empire (Paperback)
What a fantastic continuation to a gripping series.

It's actually refreshing to read a story with a supportive lover, the brilliant and sexy Vex. As Alpha of the werewolves he has his own internal battles to deal with, yet his age gives him the perspective to be supportive without being smothering.

The politics of race, class and bigotry are a timely mirror, though possibly unplanned, to US politics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Immortal Empire book 2, 24 May 2013
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
God Save the Queen was a fantastic start to Kate Locke's alternate history urban fantasy series so I've been looking forward to getting my hands on The Queen is Dead ever since I first read it. If the stunning covers for this series aren't enough to convince you to read them then the mash up of genres should be, throw in a hint of steampunk, vampires, werewolves and a heroine who has just found out she is the goblin queen and you're definitely onto a winner! Everything I loved about the first book was back again in this 2nd instalment and it's left me desperate to read Long Live the Queen when it publishes in November.

Xandra had quite a shock at the end of the last book when she discovered that she is in fact a goblin rather than the halvie that she always thought she was. The goblins are the most ferocious of the supernatural races and the ones who are most feared by the rest of the population. She has always thought of them as monsters so her world view has taken quite a battering thanks to her newly acquired status as their queen. Not only is she questioning herself and worrying over her new abilities but she also finds that she has become a political pawn that each of the different factions all want to win into their corner, she is going to have to pick her allies wisely though or she'll just end up in an even bigger mess. After everything that Xandra went through in the first book to protect her siblings I have to say I was a bit disappointed in them for abandoning her when she needed their support in return, it's just a good job she had Vex to lean on. Of course the fact that they have been ignoring her for the last few months doesn't stop Xandra diving straight into the investigation when she discovers that her brother Val is missing no matter how much trouble it might get her into. She is the kind of girl who will protect her loved ones at any cost and I can't fault her for that.

I love the way things have developed between Xandra and Vex and I think she sums up my feelings for him perfectly when she says "One of the things I adored about him was he didn't go all chest-thumping on me and treat me like a delicate flower. I knew he'd rip apart anyone who tried to hurt me, but he'd give me first crack at it." I love the fact that although he is an alpha he doesn't try to take charge of every situation. He is supportive and protective of her without being smothering and I like the way he is so calm and centred while Xandra is struggling to come to terms with the revelations of her heritage. Vex obviously loves Xandra for who she is and he is the only one who has always been there for her when she needed him.

Another thing I really enjoyed was getting to learn more about the goblins, we get to see a different side to them as Xandra reluctantly spends more time with the plague and I've come to really like the goblin prince. There have also been a few interesting developments with Vex's werewolf pack and it will be interesting to see how that plays out in the next book. I'm thoroughly enjoying this series and I'm sure anyone who enjoyed the first book is going to love this instalment just as much. I can't wait to see what happens next!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slower than the original but still good, 26 Feb. 2013
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Having loved the original I couldn't wait to get my hands on this, the second instalment as Steampunk meets Urban Fantasy is this top notch series. Whilst the first book was fast paced and action packed, this title took a slower route, allowing the reader, alongside the principle character, to get their baring on her latest role.

Throw into the mix, some sleight of hand, political double dealing and of course learning how to survive in the deadly world of leadership/royalty and you can understand why Xandra could wish for her old life as Royal Guard back. Whilst this book is slower than the original, it does have some cracking moments as well as laying down some more world building magic to get things ready for one hell of a next title. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 11 Mar. 2013
If you haven't read the first book it may seem a little confusing, however as I have the story continues brilliantly on from the first and leaves it wide open to continue, of which I hope the author hurries up and gets on with it! Not telling much as i don't want to spoil it for others who haven't read it yet, but the leading lady is learning more about herself and the plot definitely thickens....

5.0 out of 5 stars new saga, 25 Jun. 2013
contains a brill new world. page-turning plot and good characters.like the use of language and the sub-plots.lots of atmosphere, too

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!, 27 May 2013
fantastic storyline, after reading number one in the series I was hooked and downloaded the rest to my Kindle. if you like urban fantasy with a steampunk flavour this is the series to get your teeth into.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next one, 4 April 2013
The story continues where the last one left off and pulls you completely in to this alternate London. Looking forward to the next one

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly extraordinary novel, 25 Mar. 2013
Alexandra Varden has recently discovered that she is one of the most deadliest creatures known to man. The goblins. After her encounters with Churchill, she has been having a hard time covering her tracks from the special branch. She will soon discover the secrets behind the experiments on innocent Half-Lings, wolf's and even goblins but when she is kidnapped will the secrets die with her..?

Written by Niamh Crosbie

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, 21 Feb. 2013
Mrs. U. Maclean (NLW- UK) - See all my reviews
I have really enjoyed both books in this series, a new take on the vampire/werewolf/ other species stories. The mix of Victorian stuffiness and kick-ass, technology using, female heroine is well written and fun. I am very much hoping that there is going to be another episode in this series.

The Queen Is Dead: Book 2 of the Immortal Empire
The Queen Is Dead: Book 2 of the Immortal Empire by Kate Locke (Paperback - 5 Feb. 2013)