4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from a brilliant series
MY REVIEW
I downloaded a free e-copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.
Published 20 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars A definite improvement from the second but not nearly as much as I had hoped for
With Cold Blooded so close to its release date, I decided to request this and finally read it. Full Blooded was somewhat disappointing and had it not ended the way it did, I probably wouldn't have read this one. I was hoping that things would take a more interesting turn now that we were past the whole Jessica becoming the only female werewolf. Honestly, this one wasn't...
Published 12 months ago by Rashika

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great book from a brilliant series, 24 April 2013
MY REVIEW
I love the cover as it has the main character of Jessica on the front and fits really well with the other book covers in the series. There's the byline of Hunt To Kill which is what is happening to Jessica and her gang as they go to attempt to rescue Rourke. I don't like the quote from another author about the book, my feelings are that such quotes should go on the back of the book or on an inside cover perhaps.
Would the cover make me pick it up in a book store? Yes definitely. Though as I have read part of the series I would have been looking for this book too.
The blurb tells the reader enough to entice without giving too much away and also saves the odd twist and turn for a surprise to the reader.
So the book picks up literally where the other one left off. Jessica, her brother Tyler and pack member Danny set off with the vampire guides to find the hidden lair of the goddess who is holding Rourke against his will. Oh yeah and there's a late addition to the travelling party of Ray, the cop who has recently discovered what Jessica is!
They come across many challenges in the form of strange beastie's and life forms that they have to kill or subdue to gain the final access to the Goddess Selena's lair.
There were definitely times when I thought Mmm I didn't see that one coming, and the odd wow what the heck! moments too. I love the characters and how we get to explore some of them in more depth. I enjoyed Ray's funny side, the way he injected some humor into the darkest of plights. I loved Naomi, her tragic existence at the hands of Selena, then her escape yet she still had the willingness to help Jessica seek out Selena. I think Naomi's loyalty was well written and depicted in the book too. I love the twin-bond that exists between Tyler and Jessica, and wow Tyler sound sooo gorgeous too! I'm thinking the type of actor that could play him in a movie would be similarly built and look a little like Kellan Lutz (though maybe Kellan is a little too well known as Emmett Cullen). We also learn a littel more about Danny's cheeky chappy kind of personality, he make joke around but is totally loyal to the pack and helping Tyler protect Jessica to the point of giving his own life if needed.
The book is fast paced, full of action, drama and angst, with fantastic fight scenes towards the end of the book. There's a good cliffhanger at the end of the book which will no doubt present the basic plot for the next great book in this excellent series.
To sum up then, Did I enjoy the book? Yes, I enjoyed it a lot! Would I recommend it? Yes, in particular to fans of Kelley Armstrong's "Women Of The Otherworld" and Rachel Vincents Shifter Series. I would say I'd recommend to fans of shifter books but this is so much more than a shifter series, it has many different supernatural races featured within it's pages. Would I read more in the series? Er. . Yes please! Would I read other books by Amanda Carlson? Yes I enjoy the style of writing along with the plot etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gritty, action-driven UF, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Hot Blooded: Book 2 in the Jessica McClain series (Paperback)
I am really enjoying this new name in urban fantasy genre. Amanda Carlson proved that she can write decisive, interesting, fully capable of kick butt decision making characters; create a wonderfully complex world-building and end her books with a big bang. And I LOVE that. This is what encompasses UF genre for me!

Hot Blooded might be even better than Full Blooded. The whole book is about Jessica and her companions on the move to get Rourke from a really crazy, sadistic Goddess, Selena. Again, Rourke is in Jessica thoughts but he doesn't domineer the plot. Even when they are back together, there is no moochiness I so dislike in instant love/perfect mate shifter relationship. It's all go, go, go, act now, love later as it's only appropriate in the situation.

There is also a deep, lovely connection between Jessica and her brother, Tyler, interesting developments with a couple of vamps who help them on their journey, Eamonn and Naomi, and ever so amusing snarkiness of human police detective, Roy.

Roy, I am rooting for you! Don't you dare disappear in the next book! I fully expect you to play an important role in this series :)

Overall, it's an excellent, action packed urban fantasy, reminiscent of Rachel Vincent and Caitlin Kittredge's writing, so if you loved both of these authors, I suggest you don't miss out on Amanda Carlson!

4.0 out of 5 stars A new series (for me) with possibilities, 11 Aug 2014
In the first book of the series, Full Blooded, we are introduced to Jessica McClain. Jessica is an oddity - born the daughter of her packs Alpha, life should be good. But there is a problem with that - female werewolves aren’t supposed to exist. And no one in the pack is willing to let her forget that she is a freak of nature. Once past puberty and not having shifted, Jessica thought she would live out her life as a human. She left the pack behind, starting a new life with a new name.
Everything was going well, until her wolf decided it was time to surface.

Hot Blooded, the second book of the series, picks up just after the events of the previous book. Told almost entirely on the road, with brief phone updates connecting Jessica to her father and pack at home, Jessica and her rather ‘unusual’ traveling companions, including two vampires loaned to her by the Vampire queen.

It took me a while to read Hot Blooded for NetGalley. I started to read the book, but soon realized that I would be much better served to read the first book first. It pulled the story together for me, in a manner which I wasn’t feeling until reading the first. While there are things I didn’t care for all that much. Jessica is a bit of a Mary Sue, overcoming apparently insurmountable odds on her own.

What I did enjoy about the story is just how compassionate Jessica is for all creatures, including humans – a personality quirk that her werewolf brethren definitely are not happy about. Jessica is strong, intelligent and has her own mind, a rarity in the urban fantasy heroine tropes of the day, making her a perfect addition to the genre. I hope that she retains that compassion across the series.

A pissed-off goddess, a bright yellow Humvee, a couple of werewolves, a couple of vampires on loan (and of course, vampires being vampires, there is a heavy price to pay should she live long enough to return), issues resolved and new issues opened and unresolved leads to an exciting story line which I expect much from in the future.
_____________________________________
I received Hot Blooded from Netgalley in return for an honest review. I purchased Full Blooded on my own in order to keep the series in order and to gain a better understanding of the story line.

4.0 out of 5 stars too many new superpowers for Jessica, 19 Sep 2013
Hot Blooded. Amanda Carlson
Arc provided by Netgalley.
I enjoyed the first book, though with a few reservations at the start. This one has come out much the same. Jessica going on a journey to rescue her mate. She has helps from two vamps, two of the Pack, and an unexpected extra person :) She's tracking Selene, and needs to kill her to rescue her mate Rourke. Trouble is Selene is a Goddess, and isn't easy to kill, in fact most of the supes believe she's on a suicide mission as Selene can't die...
So, once everyone is assembled the bulk of the book is about their journey. That's where my problems began. It was OK at first, I expected Selene to have set some traps, after all she's not going to sit back and wait for them. The problem I had though is that each time there were barriers, they seemed to be some previously unknown or rarely heard of creature, impossible to kill and yet...Jessica seemed to develop the superpowers needed to outwit/kill them just at the last moment. Now I get she's previously unknown, possibly the subject of a prophecy etc etc etc but...I really, really hate it when the newly empowered heroine develops skills those who are hundreds of years don't have. I can deal with a couple of useful new powers, but every time? ?Making the existing powerful supernaturals emasculated. Sorry, that's just something I really don't like, and it happened so often here that I ended up by skim reading over the various battles. I did like the way Jessica befriended those who later turn out to be allies. Its clear she's going to need help as the series progresses and that's far better in my view - to have her befriending those with power or knowledge, who become useful allies at the right time rather than her gaining new powers Every Time :(
So, I enjoyed parts, but the bulk seemed to be endless battles with weird creatures where Jessica saves the day. That didn't cut it for me, it got old quickly. It seemed the other characters were simply there to prove just how wonderful and strong etc Jessica had become, rather than people we get to know and care about.. I wanted to see more of Rourke too, even if it was scenes with him and Selene, but he only appears at the end. I liked Naomi, even warmed to Ray...the wolves were loyal as ever, and good choices to accompany her, and the end where next book is set up was good, but overall I was disappointed..at £4.99 for 336 pages I was expecting more of a story about the characters, not just what seemed like endless battles with odd and unknown creatures and Jessica becoming a Wonder Superwoman.
Stars: well just three and a half this time - its better than OK but not good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent enough to make me want to read the next book., 26 April 2013
I received a free copy of this e-book from the publishers with the intent to read and leave an honest review.

This book starts were the first book finished. Jessica is getting ready to go and get her mate back from Selene, who just happens to be a wicked powerful goddess. She just has to wait for two vampires to arrive who are on loan from the Vampire Queen who had her kidnapped in the first book.

Before she even gets to set off, she has to contend with Ray Hart, a local police detective who has been harassing her and trying to pin anything he can on her. He just knows there's something off about Jessica. And he's about to find out just what that is. When Jessica gets home from talking to her father and persuading him not to kill Ray, she finds out that her building supervisor was a were-weasel and he had been caught breaking in to her apartment by one of her were-wolf friends. He had had to change and ended up killing him but the detective had seen it happen so he ended up stuffed in her wardrobe. Now he's going on a trip with Jessica, her brother Tyler, friend Daniel, the two vampires on loan from the Vampire Queen to get back her mate, if not he's going to end up dead.

Setting off in the bright yellow hummer that her brother has bought, they head north to Canada. On the way she realises that they will have a problem with Ray at border patrol so she has the vampires fly him over the border, hoping it will make him change his mind and realise that in order for him to stay alive he will have to comply with the Alpha's demands.

As they get nearer to Selene's lair they have to leave the hummer behind and start to hike. This is were I started to get annoyed again.

Whilst the book has a great story line and clips along at a good rate, it's spoiled again by the constant conversation, argument or telepathic conversation when danger is imminent or they are in the midst of a fight. It ruins the flow of the tale for me.

This was a fault that I found in the first book and I was disappointed to see it had continued on in the second book. I also found it annoying that no matter what they came across, after the argument, discussion, whatever, it would turn out to be her blood or only her power that could fix whatever was wrong. I understand that she is the main character and that she is something more than a were-wolf, she is turning into the True Lycan but I really hope that the third book doesn't follow in the same lines or that it's not constantly brought up.

That said I will definitely be reading the third in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved and adored Amanda Carlson's first book, 15 July 2014
Rachel Bridgeman (Wales) - See all my reviews
I loved and adored Amanda Carlson's first book. Inevitable comparisons could be made with Kelley Armstrong but excusing the pun, this is a very different beast. This second novel develops the characters introduced in the first of what I hope will be a long running series. The strength of the female leads without sacrificing plot or weakening the males is what I enjoyed the most. Many thanks Netgalley for allowing me to read it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Stuff, 14 July 2014
Ms. Theresa M. Derwin (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
SPOLIERS FOR BOOK ONE AHEAD; Jessica McClain has had a very bad week. Not content with finally shifting against all odds and becoming the only female werewolf in an all male werewolf pack, she has attracted the ire of a Vampire Queen and been wrapped in a death spell, returned home to find cop and nemesis Ray Hart tied up in her closet after witnessing werewolf Danny change, reluctantly bound herself to an unknown species of werecat who is now her mate, and been jumped by a dirty, smelly little imp who has accused her of being the True Lycan of legend; one who will rule all of the supernatural world and vanquish all evil. And as if that isn't enough, to save Ray Hart's life she has blackmailed/threatened him into coming along on a road trip to rescue her mate Rourke from evil witch and self proclaimed goddess Selene accompanied by a pair of creepy vampires. Yep, Jessica is surely having another bad week.
After a gripping cliffhanger in book one, and more tension abounding in this, book two of the Jessica McClain series, our heroine is going to need all her wits about her to save her mate and fight for her place as a 'normal' werewolf in her Pack and the supernatural hierarchy. Jessica doesn't want to be leader of all supernaturals and she's pretty sure the legend of the True Lycan has been leaked amongst the various supernatural Sects to put the cat amongst the pigeons, so she only has one option left. She's going to have to fight; goddess witches, werewolves, naiads, vampires, giant scorpion-spider-type-things and possessed goats with flaming red eyes; yep, they're all in here.
Jessica's passion is made obvious throughout the book, and it is this which stands her apart from other supernatural creatures. It is also this aspect which garners her support from her circle and from some of the vamps.
Carlson writes with incredible wit and fervour. The action is fast-paced and the novel itself incredibly easy to read. If it's possible I enjoyed this more than the first novel Full Blooded, and as with that novel, Carlson ends on a terrific cliffhanger leaving you wanting more. I'm addicted to this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 2 July 2014
Brilliant thank you

4.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, 7 May 2014
This is the first book I've read by Amanda and it drew me in immediately, well written and exciting can't wait to read the next one.

4.0 out of 5 stars And the good stuff continue, 3 April 2014
Here, Jessica tries to save her mate. Escorted by two vampires, two werewolves and one angry human, Jessica sets out to save Rourke from one sadistic and vengeful goddess.

May I just say I LOVED this book.

There is a fair share (the lion's share) of world building here. We encounter demons, bats, mermaids (of sorts), spiders, ants, magic, and a little witch's potions. Furthermore, we learn of the system- the hierarchy between the sects and who controls and enforce laws on all the sects, we also learn how one achieve the status of a goddess. There is more character development as we get to know some of them better.

There is lots (!!) of action, for those of you that like fighting scenes, some hard decisions are made and some new alliances are forged.

There are only few things to complain about, but complain I shall-

First of all, the romance; Jessica and Rourke had a brief encounter before he was kidnapped. Thus their relationship didn’t develop much. As the whole book si about saving him from the goddess, you can guess how much development can possible be here (almost none).

Secondly, while I appreciate information and good dialogues as much as the next person. When a killing scene takes too long because everybody is too damn busy with talking you can guess how irritating this might become.

Thirdly, in case you find yourself not liking this book and consider a drinking game- each time someone threatens to kill someone else you are most welcome to drink. Considering, of course, that you'll take small gulpes or you have a high tolerance for alcohol. Another option is drinking each time someone threatens to kill the human. Or whenever a vampire says that something is impossible to achieve. Both will get you happily drunk quite fast, so still don't use a strong drink.

One thing I really loved is that we learn more about the prophecy and that Jessica grows into her own power.

A review copy was kindly provided by the publisher through NetGalley. Thank you!

Hot Blooded: Book 2 in the Jessica McClain series
Hot Blooded: Book 2 in the Jessica McClain series by Amanda Carlson (Paperback - 23 April 2013)