5.0 out of 5 stars A Damn Fine Conclusion
Okay, so we come to the end of either an epic trilogy or a six-part series, depending on how you look at it. This final omnibus contains the final two installments of Royce and Hadrian's story, Wintertide and Percepliquis. And I'm pleased to report that the are probably the best yet.

The first story resolves the New Empire plotline, as Hadrian goes undercover...
Published on 18 Mar 2012 by David Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Predictable
I read the first two books in the series and they were about average. Nothing better to read. So decided to read this.

One reviewer has remarked on the plot being complicated. I didn't find that. I figured the plot out within the first 20% of the book and impatiently waited for the main characters' to figure the plot out themselves so they can move...
Published on 11 Jun 2012 by Benjamin Bruce

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A magnificent end to a brilliant trilogy, 29 April 2012
This review is from: Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations (Paperback)
Once again, I will put a plot summary with spoilers at the bottom and do my best to avoid them in the excessively vague review itself.

Michael J Sullivan concludes his brilliant saga in this volume of two books with all of his usual swagger, style and ever so slightly over the top characters. In book 6 everything comes together and there are some fantastic plot twists.
The characters reactions to and with each other are fantastic and despite both the relationships getting grittier and darker, particularly in book 5 and the earlier parts of book 6, in order to match the grittier story as the plot gets thicker and is coming to a conclusion. Everything is however written so well, the relationships are magnificent and you can engage with all of the characters so easily and so well.
There's never a dull moment either, there are times where it isn't all action, but you will never have a reason to want to put the book down because Sullivan plays with your emotions so well.

***PLOT SUMMARY (CONTAINS SPOILERS)***

Book 5: This starts from the perspective of Mince, a little street urchin/pickpocket from a small group of thieves that pick on a pair of incoming unwitting travellers as targets to steal from, the downside, these travellers are Hadrian and Royce, with their usual humour they expose the would be thieves and hire them to help them find Merrick and Gaunt in the Capital and to stable their horses, with some comically gruesome threats.
Royce hears that a load of refugees have come from Melgnar so goes off to investigate and leaves Hardian to try and infiltrate the keep for more information. What better way than to try and join the ever growing town guard? The answer is that just after being recruited he walks right into his old enemy Luis Guy and a hundred of his Knights, oops, he surrenders and is taken into custody, in the meantime Royce finds Melgnar to have been sacked, Alric has fled to the Pickering's fortress and his fiancee Gwen has fled to Myron's Abbey, before returning to the capital with Myron to find that Sir Hadrian is jousting in the tourney (he's being set up to help dispose of (Sir Breckton) an embarrassing and potentially dangerous opponent to the regents' regime. Royce continues his research in town and finds that Arista and Gaunt (the Heir) are in an impregnable prison, whilst meeting up with his old enemy Merrick. As Hadrian is trying and failing to learn the ropes of being a nobleman (so a corrupt and unpleasant bastard) which is one of the most entertaining parts of the whole saga.
In the final joust both Hadrian and Sir Breckton are arrested for refusing to kill one another with their rigged "safe" lances. They are sentenced to death the next day with Gaunt and Arrista, for the celebration of the Empresses wedding to a political puppet of the Church.
That night Royce and Magnus try to bust them out of the prison, Royce finds Magnus has once again left him in a trap, only the city is in uproar and Merrick has managed to get word to King Alrick and the Pickerings, with the Imperial Field Army on their doorstep just in time to get them to unite against the regents in the Empresses name, and charge back to the capital in time to save everyone and arrest the regents.
That is followed by one small bloodbath for the final cliffhanger.

Book 6: The final instalment starts with the invasion of the Elves of the North and the threat of invasion by the Southern Goblins, they are unstoppable and the evacuees are fleeing to the capitol amongst them, in the midst of this a single child is fleeing Sentinel Thrask on one side and the elven army on the other side, and finds the refugee camp. She ends up protected by Lenare Pickering, who slays the sentinel in a rather entertaining but all too easy duel. They all reach the capital to find Lenare's last bother Mauvin, Alric, Arista, Hadrian, Royce, Myron and almost the whole cast is united. Almost everyone is then hired or press-ganged by the Empress into joining a team to help find a legendary artefact, once wielded by Novron himself, which was the only way to stop the elves the last time they invaded.
Arista, Hadrian, Royce, Magnus, Wyatt and a member of his old crew, Alric, Mauvin, Myron, Gaunt, Mince and his band of thieves and Hadrian's old squire duly set out to reach the lost city of Percepliquis and in it to find the artefact.
Their quest is frought with dangers and a rather entertaining power stuggle between Arista, Alric and Gaunt.
The squire and thieves are forced to stay and guard the horses, however act as the first vanguard to warn the capital of the incoming invasion.
The elves invade and decimate the capital in a matter of minutes, until Thrace herself surrenders to protect the remaining refugees. The elves tell her that they are awaiting the blowing of the horn (the artefact Hadrian & Co are looking for) for their religious disputes, and she tells them that Hadrian & Co are out trying to find it, thereby bying time and getting a free ride to the city.
In the lost city the team is slowly decimated until only Hadrian, Mauvin, Myron, Arista, Royce and Magnus are left and they succeed, learning about the many lies on which their culture is founded on their way. Arista and Hadrian finally get together and there's an awesome duel to finish. Followed by a couple of chapters solving a few little problems and giving a not exactly unhappy ending, but I'm so glad it wasn't entirely rosy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly brilliant, 25 Jun 2014
I am heartbroken that it has ended...I have read all five books in 8 days and and I can tell you that it was worth every second of lost sleep...it grips you and you know you won't rest until you find out if you guessed right and as good as I think I am, he had me up to the last second on a few occasions. But it was the little things that made it so intense and unlike some authors he didn't repeat things that you knew too many times and he didn't wander off. He is now my favourite author and I would tell anyone who hasn't read them yet to go do so now, you won't regret it. I started with the first two Chronicles and then the last three of Revelations and had no problems. I am hoping that it will continue because I know it can and if I am right there was even a little hint way back. Great books, great content and all with no spelling mistakes.

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best books I have ever read..., 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations (Paperback)
I have just finished reading Riyria Revelations and I just had to write a review first and foremost let me say what a wonderful and truly fantastic story this has been for me this has truly been the "stuff dreams are made of" and I absolutely and honestly applaud the author I have never read anything that has ever kept me turning and turning the pages feeling like an excited child as this epic storyline unfolded and in honesty they are the very best books that I have ever read and has left me feeling greedy for more (I have to admit I am now feeling very sad they are over) however the ending was magnificent and what I felt to be a "perfect" ending which actually brought tears to my eyes and trust me I'm really not that kind of a guy! but wow what a journey it's been I can honestly say after reading this I will be following the authors future publications.

I will be looking forward to future publications by Michael J Sullivan and will be following his work with great anticipation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great series of books, 20 May 2014
Could not put it down was the same with other books from this author wish there was more books about these guys

5.0 out of 5 stars Great end to a great series, 16 April 2014
The characters continued to grow in this very well written 3rd installment. This book finally got round to answering all the questions the first two books hinted at and those answers did not disappoint. I would recommend this and the previous books to anyone looking looking for a new fantasy series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 12 April 2014
V. Cairns "smeyerfan" (uk) - See all my reviews
These books are great ....I found myself not wanting to put the books down and when I did I was constantly thinking about them until I picked it up again ........I hope there will be more

5.0 out of 5 stars The Riyria Revelations, 6 April 2014
This is the best fantasy series I've read in a long time and I'm now looking forward to reading more about the background of these characters in the Chronicles. Just loved getting to know the relationship between the two main characters- two damaged souls, who make you want to know more about them, and enough swashbuckling adventures and humour to keep the reader riveted to the ongoing story from start to finish. Brilliant!

4.0 out of 5 stars Heir of Novron a really good read., 9 Mar 2014
This story sets up the whole book in an epic fashion. I had a feeling about some sub-plots in the book and most came up trumps.(I WOULD GIVE THIS A 4.5 IF POSSIBLE).

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant conclusion, left hungry for more, 7 Mar 2014
Excellent series, highly recommended if you like books such as "Lies of Lock Lamora" or "Retribution Falls"
Loveable scamps
Well worth a read

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Feb 2014
Couldn't put it down. Made me laugh, made me cry. Fantastic story.
Wish there was more but the ending was fantastic.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations
Heir Of Novron: The Riyria Revelations by Michael J Sullivan (Paperback - 26 Jan 2012)
9.09