5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Butcher still in top form!
If I have any complaint about Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series it's that the books don't come out frequently enough.

Published on 12 Dec 2012 by Mr. S. Turczyn

3.0 out of 5 stars Fourteenth in the series, and it feels it
The shape of Dresden Files novels has become pretty formulaic; a few chapters of setup suggesting that this time Harry is outclassed, a Stunning Moment of Awesome, then repeat with Harry and all the enemies moved up a level. You get to encounter a few interesting enemies from the faery world of Winter, but I think I would generally recommend that readers stop the series...
Published 23 months ago by Mr. T. O. Womack

5.0 out of 5 stars Jim Butcher still in top form!, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (Hardcover)

This is the latest instalment, and after fourteen novels and assorted short stories Butcher not only continues to deliver top notch, witty but gripping urban fantasy, but manages to up the suspense and the stakes and keeps you compulsively turning the pages to see what happens next.

'Cold Days' sees Harry Dresden take on the mantle of the Winter Knight, pledged to serve the seriously menacing 'Mab, Queen of Winter' who's intentions are unclear and possibly maleficent, and he ends up battling the greatest threat he's ever faced.

If you haven't read any Dresden Files, you probably shouldn't read this book. Start at the beginning with "Storm Front" and read the novels in order, because there's a major story arc that progresses through the series. Having now finished "Cold Days", I can't wait for the next novel to see how things will develop from here.

If you like Dresden, you may want to read Kim Harrison's "Hollow" series, Bendedict Jacka's "Alex Verus" novels or Kevin Hearne's "Iron Druid" series. They're good reads and help fill the void while waiting for Dresden's next adventure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally!, 29 Nov 2012
This review is from: Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (Hardcover)
After a seemingly endless wait (im impatient ok) we finally get the next outing of Harry Dresden, and its worth every mind aching moment that i have waited. Getting Harry back in the saddle after ghost story was one of my concerns but the transition is smoother then i dared to hope for. The gang is present and accounted for with some wonderful tweaks and moments and the return of several excellent supporting characters. The action is ,as always, fast flowing and entertaining and in true Dresden style Harry lurches from managing one disaster to another with barley time to catch his breath and readjust to the new status quo. The end is spectacular reading with to much cool stuff to mention without abusive *SPOILER* tags everywhere.

Brilliant from start to finish, if anyone had doubts after ghost story then this should squash them, Dresden is back! (of course i now have another torturous wait till book 15....)

5.0 out of 5 stars Harry is back!, 10 Dec 2012
Theophania Elliott "Theophania Elliott" (Somewhere on this planet, honestly.) - See all my reviews
Harry is back from the (almost) dead, and is now having to cope with being the Winter Knight. It has to be said, we are kind of used to Harry making lemonade out of lemons, but it's always a great ride watching while he does it. When he accepted the Winter Knight's mantle he never meant to keep it - only Queen Mab has outmanoeuvred him so he's stuck with it. And now he's having to learn to use it without it using him.

And while he's doing that, he's got to stay alive in the Winter Court where killing people counts as after-dinner entertainment.

And he's got to kill an immortal - but which one, though? That's the million-dollar question, isn't it?

And then there's the whole problem of Demonreach.

While Harry is wrestling with his multiple problems and being beaten up by various enemies, Butcher is giving us more to chew on. We learn more about the Winter and Summer courts of the fae, and - hooray! - we learn more about the Gatekeeper. And why's he called the Gatekeeper anyway?

The series has expanded in scope over the last few books. Harry isn't just a wizard PI any more - he's a soldier in a war, and an increasingly senior one at that. The action in Cold Days mostly takes place over about 24 hours, so it's a pretty fast pace, but there's a lot in there that I think we will be seeing more of later. It's clear that Harry is going to be increasingly more important to the war (which war?) and that the stakes are going to keep getting higher. Other characters, too, grow and change - at least one other character getting a major life-change that I certainly hadn't expected.

Butcher has given us what we wanted - Harry's back in Chicago, and back with the old crowd. But the clock can't be turned back - the changes that started with 'Changes' are continuing, and I, personally, can't wait to see where Butcher is going to take us next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dresden doing what he does best, 4 Dec 2012
Debbie L (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (Hardcover)
Just loved this book. After the torture of waiting 18 months for it I tried to ration myself but read it in two days, now to start the waiting again for the next installment. So many fantasy series get stale after this many books but these are getting better and better. I don't know how Butcher still manages to surprise me after this many books but he had me utterly flabberghasted at the end. If you are new to the Dresden Files don't start with this book, go and buy Storm Front immediatly and fall in love with Harry from the begining, it's a rollercoaster ride that keeps getting scarier.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but missing the noir, 9 Jan 2013
This review is from: Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (Hardcover)
Jim Butcher is an excellent writer and I have enjoyed the Dresden Files and his Furies series immensely. However, one of the main attractions for me of the former has been the amalgamation of supernatural fantasy with the wisecracking, noir-detective characterisation. Unfortunately,that connection has been drifting for some time and, with this episode in the series, is no more.

Harry is a Faerie Knight not a detective and the result is that this book, while maintaining writing standards, is nowhere near as entertaining as the earlier novels. Butcher needs to find a way of getting Harry back to his own "normality" as he is in danger of sliding into a kind of generic urban fantasy and losing his unique qualities.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Brilliant assortment of magic and mayhem, 28 Nov 2012
Bagsy (Northamptonshire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel (Hardcover)
I cannot recommend this book and this series enough. Jim Butcher has created a fantastic world within our own world and Harry is a hero who kicks ass. Cold Days pushes the series along nicely and you finally get to know who and what Harry is really up against (well sort of). Once again has to gather his allies and save the world all within a couple of days which results in Harry having to go from one crisis to another involving lots of mayhem along the way. I will not give out any spoilers but at the end something happens to one of the main characters that I don't think anyone who has followed the series will have ever expected - something that I assume is going to lead to a lot of trouble and heartache for Harry in subsequent books. If you have not ever read this series and you like magic, wizards, vampires, ghost, fairies (the homicidal kind) etc then start reading today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual non stop mayhem, 30 Nov 2012
Amanda Hall (Co. Durham UK) - See all my reviews
Another unputdownable book from the mind of Jim Butcher. Harry is in more than the usual amount of trouble from the get go. Really revved the series back up after the slightly slower Ghost Story. The story pulls you in and doesn't let you go until you've finished it.

Oodles of stuff for any follower of the series to get into - you must have read the earlier books in the series to make *any* sense of this book though, if you are new to the series - this is not the book to start with. Left me a lot to think about and speculate with my fellow Dresden fen. I can't really find anything in the book to be truly critical of - and yes I know I'm doing the literary equivalent of fan girl squeeing but really that's the feeling I'm channeling right now. :) If I could rate this higher than five stars I would.

5.0 out of 5 stars Never stop writing Jim, 29 Nov 2012
Joe (Winchester) - See all my reviews
I will keep this short and simple. Love the book, it pushes the story forward while leaving you guessing for what will happen next. Jim, I know you are planning to write just up of twenty books, but please don't stop there, if you keep writing such quality work then you should keep milking it. On behalf of all your fans, we wont complain one bit. Amazing book, buy it, read it, love it. That's all I have to say.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not the best, 18 Jun 2013
I love Dredsen and yes this book is enjoyable but I just found certain parts of it long winded and not really the right time or place for it for example the whole gay relationship saga part just felt a bit trying too hard to address current issues when it wasn't needed and there are better places to air your opinions.

I will however contine to read Dresden but feel that the books are coming to their natural conclusion and if htey should end in the next one or two then I would be left happy, feeling that the characters were put to bed at the right time without going stale.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME!!, 15 Dec 2012
Jim Butcher has done it again, you get drawn into the book you can almost smell it. Bring on the next one I say :D

Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel
Cold Days: A Dresden Files Novel by Jim Butcher (Hardcover - 27 Nov 2012)
Used & New from: £1.50