5.0 out of 5 stars Was my favourite read for a long time
Published on 14 Aug 2003 by Colinberg

2.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't for me
This book first came to my attention last year when the film was announced, one of the people I watch on youtube reviewed it and said it was awesome. I tend to trust her reviews so I requested a copy from the library. I then have to admit that it has sat on my pile for about 6 months. I wanted something quite short this weekend whilst I was waiting for my ipad to charge...
Published 9 months ago by Barmy_Bex

5.0 out of 5 stars Was my favourite read for a long time, 14 Aug 2003
I love reading, and I always have a book on the go. I have therefore read a fair few books. But of all the great books I have read, I only recommend three, and this is one of them. When I started reading Enders Game I was intrigued right from the start. I quickly became engrossed and then completely absorbed to the point I didn't want to put it down. I would read it for hours on end.
Why? People often say that the book is better than the film. Enders Game to me has the same distinction from other books. The story is incredibly absorbing and exceptionally fulfilling to read. You always want to know whats going to happen next and the story just keeps building and building. At no point does it disappoint or ebb. There are lots of books I have read and enjoyed, but Enders Game really stands out from the crowd. It was a real pleasure to read.
I had doubts about a book staring a six year old. I needn't have doubted. Ender is an exceptionally likeable and interesting character, he really grew on me and I felt a real connection. The only negative point I can think of is that its a real downer to finish the book, but only because it has finished. I can truly recommend this book to everyone as it is without doubt one of those rare books that truly rewards the reader!
A word of warning, if you are planning to buy this book, better not read lgonggr's review below (Leimuiden, Netherlands). He mentions some things that in my opinion may spoil your experience!

5.0 out of 5 stars "He was just like everybody else now", 16 May 2005
Sebastian Fernandez (Tampa, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
I have read my fair share of fantasy and have therefore found several cases in which the author creates a well-crafted world. Orson Scott Card excels in this aspect, presenting a setting that is on the borderline between a fantastic world and a possible future for our own existence. One of the aspects that I enjoyed most about this work is the complex set of rules created by the author and the heavy weight politics and philosophy play in the story.
Andrew Wiggin, also known as Ender due to his sister's inability for voicing his real name, is a very special little kid. His parents received a special permission from the government to have a third child due to their outstanding genes, overriding the law that prevents having more that two kids. As a result Ender has worn a monitor since his birth and every one of his actions has been analyzed in extreme detail. But now the monitor needs to come off, and the people that have been monitoring him are interested in making life difficult for him to unveil his reactions.
Of course it does not stop there, and when the offer from Colonel Graff for joining the Battle school is presented to Ender, he has to go fulfill his duty and leave behind his family and the human being he cares about the most, his sister Valentine. The Battle School should not be taken lightly. Eighty years ago, the humans fought a war against the buggers and were only able to survive thanks to a brilliant commander. Now humanity depends on the ability of the high ranks of the military to find a new leader, and Ender is one of the hopes they have for salvation. The fact that he is younger than most in Battle School will certainly make things difficult for him, and keep things interesting for us.
Besides providing with great entertainment, this book makes us think about what may lie in the future, what are the ethical implications of war and whether or not is OK to achieve our ends without caring for what the means used are. We also get an interesting fictional look at life in the military, and our fare share of action. One thing about this book is undeniable; it is like nothing you have ever read, so if you are looking for something different, this one is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very enjoyable read, 21 Jan 2008
Trickle Tree (The universe) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I am not in anyway a fan of science fiction genre but this book blew me away. I enjoyed the way that it is plot and character driven so the author's voice disappeared into the story and it wasn't full of self-conscious descriptions.

The book is about shaping a child to become a powerful leader and I felt it was written so that the reader too becomes a part of his adoring crowd. I enjoyed the battle games enormously and the way they had to detach themselves from their accustomed rules of gravity. I found myself so absorbed in Ender's World that I began to develop tactics myself on a shopping trip to the supermarket and planning the aisles I would go up and down to get to sections to avoid fellow shoppers. You had to be there.

I too was struck early on in the novel about its similarities to Harry Potter which I have never fancied reading but have seen clips of the films.

Anyway this book is plain and simple good old-fashioned escapism and has enough undercurrents to get your grey matter working applying the situations to current events. I also have recently read Slaughter House Five which is subtitled The Children's Crusade and I would recommend these books as a pairing. They aren't much alike but do throw up interesting thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars A thought-provoking, exciting, and emotional novel, 10 Feb 2008
Ender's Game is a book that will speak directly to whoever reads it, for it is about loneliness and specialist expertise - two things that everyone is familiar with in their own lives, in one way or another.

Ender is a young prodigy space battle commander whose adventures through training school make up most of the book. Ender makes friends and enemies, and must deal with life in a world where no-one understands him, except his sister who he never sees because she is on Earth while he is training in space.

The book covers a lot of different topics, but principle among Card's many theses is that to beat an enemy one must understand them completely: one must - in a manner of speaking - love them. This is a powerful notion and one that is explored in detail, with a very emotionally resonant ending and surprise epilogue.

I particularly enjoyed the videogame which Ender returns to throughout the book, where he is exploring an alien planet and battling various nightmarish foes, solving puzzles, and put under extreme emotional strain. It reminded me of the kind of videogames we are beginning to see nowadays (such as Shadow of the Colossus) and I was amazed an author had come up with it so many years ago.

An emotional and intelligent book, for adults and children alike.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with minor flaws, 4 Oct 2003
Kelvin M. Green (Island of the Mosquito Women) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent science fiction novel, with a fun plot and brilliant characterisation. The game sequences are surprisingly involving and it's hard not to want to join in. It's also remarkably difficult to put this book down, as it flows so well.
My only criticisms are that its origin as a short story are very clear by the end, and that a final anti-war sequence feels as though it was tacked on, and is rather unnecessary as the book as a whole certainly has an anti-war message.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Science Fiction Masterpiece, 14 May 2003
G. Haywood - See all my reviews
Ender's Game is an extremely well written book who's concept is that all the extremely intelligent children on Earth are being raised to fight a war against an enemy that tried to wipe out human life on Earth. My own experiences and that of others who've read this book shows the author has a great understanding of what it is like to be an intelligent child. The plot of the story plays with this understanding to perfection as Ender is moulded by the Battle School to be a perfect military genius.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all time classic, 29 Aug 2009
I ran my fingers along the bookshelves yesterday evening and, for no particular reason, pulled out Ender's Game. It was just an affectionate gesture at the time to remind myself what a great book and a great piece of writing this is...

It must have been getting on for four o'clock the next morning when I eventually fell asleep curled up in the chair, with Ender's Game still open in my hand. This is the fifth time I've read it now, and it is still as compelling as ever.

Someone here compared Ender's Game unfavourably with Asimov's Foundation series. The Foundation series is another great classic of sci-fi literature, of course, but is opposite in every way to Ender's Game. Where Foundation takes in generations of human existence, Ender's Game covers just a few short years in Ender's young life. Where Foundation takes place on a vast canvas, spread out across the Milky Way, Ender's Game for most of its length never leaves the claustrophobic world of dormitories and battle rooms in the IF space station. Where Foundation is a cosmic and sociological battlefield of colliding empires, Ender's Game revolves largely around the personal battle for survival of one small boy. What physical battles do take place are training exercises between small teams of young recruits.

And yet... and yet... despite all of this, Ender's Game is no less cosmic in scope than Foundation. Orson Scott Card's great achievement is to take Ender's story and project it onto a vast arena. Although it is Ender himself that we are concerned with, we are also made aware that he is merely a pawn in a greater game. At one extreme the battles in this book are not physical at all but emotional and psychological, while at the other, they are colossal because the fate of the human race hangs upon them. Ender's Game works at many, many levels and raises all kinds of important questions. In my view this is a stunning achievement.

The descriptions of strategy and tactics as the armies of recruits fight it out for dominance in the battle rooms are fascinating and absorbing. The manipulation of the battles and the recruits themselves by their military tutors (whom we hardly see) add layers of political, moral, and sociological complexity to an already intriguing story.

Perhaps the biggest point of contention in this book is Ender's age. Could a pre-teenage child ever behave in such an adult way, or have so developed an understanding? This issue has to be taken in context. The book makes it abundantly clear that Ender and his fellow recruits are exceptionally gifted children, and that Ender himself is the most precocious of his generation. (In real life, some child prodigies are frighteningly advanced.) It is also revealed in the early chapters that Ender has been specially bred for this role. His character seems to me to be beautifully drawn. In particular, his mixture of developed intelligence and childish emotion is really very moving. Orson Scott Card sets up his story so carefully and is so trustworthy a writer that personally I have no trouble taking Ender in his own terms. The problem does bother some people though and readers will need to make their own judgement.

Despite the far-ranging implications of the story, the immediate focus is on how one very gifted small boy learns to survive and adapt in a world that sets out deliberately to trap and manipulate him. It is this that generates the book's great page-turning power. Ender's struggle for survival among his fellow recruits, his emotional and moral battles, his need for status and achievement, his need, too, for both conformity and rebellion in the hothouse world of battle school are totally absorbing at a gut level. Anyone who has ever been bullied, manipulated, threatened, squashed, depersonalised, demoralised will feel this acutely and follow Ender's progress through to the shocking, huge and unexpected conclusion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kickin', 10 Sep 2003
Orson Scott Card, in his fascinating introduction to this book, indicated that 'Ender's Game' only became a full length novel when he brought up the problem of developing the back story for the (now) second volume in the Ender cycle, 'Speaker for the Dead'. We must all be grateful for this fortuitous concatenation of events, since otherwise the canon of science fiction literature would of lost one of its most powerful tales.
This is the story of Ender. A child wrenched from the dysfunctional bosom of his family to be trained remorsely in the art of modern tactical warfare. Previously, homo sapiens had nearly been exterminated by the Buggers in a terrible intergalatic war, but had been saved by the ingenuity of one commander. For the inevitable next chapter in this ongoing war the military wanted to leave as little as possible to chance. The child genius Ender, who passed the necessary psychological profiles, was the realisation of this dream. His entire life would be dedicated to one day taking charge of the space fleets and fighting the Buggers until they were no longer a threat.
The book follows the trajectory of Ender's life, starting from the day he is selected for special training. We live out Ender's childhood with him, watching his intrinsic humanity be assailed by military officers who only have one goal in mind, but it is his fortitude which is the one true constant of the novel. The book is so compelling because it relentlessly tracks Ender's internal character in this far too believable future scenario, and couples this with a wealth of illuminating details. For instance, the 'Battle Room', where player's strategies are developed, is gloriously explored in every conceivable way; as a physical space, as a mental space, and as a psychological space. Or Ender's relationships with the other children who see him as outcast, rebel, enemy, competitor, superior at various stages and emote to him accordingly. Or the Dr Strangelove-esque exchanges between two high-ranking officers that begin each chapter. Here's an excerpt:
'I'll lie to him'
'And if that doesn't work?'
'Then I'll tell the truth. We're allowed to do that in emergencies.'
In the final analysis, the novel is a clarion call to compassion and understanding, and is a scathing indictment of the ultra-rational military mindset. Unmissable.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 20 Dec 1997
By A Customer
This review is from: Ender's Game (Hardcover)
Ender's Game was a good book; when I was in Junior High. And Im not going to mark it down because Im older now. Its still a good book and will continue to be. I thought the story line and the characters were imaginative and well thought out. I dont suggest this book for the older audience, but It would make a good gift for a teenager. The lower scorers should have done thair homework and found out what level a reader would be reading this book. I feel Orson Scott Card did a good job at bringing in the younger crowd into the usually criptic realm of Sci-fi. When you read this book you must remember that it is Science Fiction; and not reality. Sure Ender is young to be acting like an adult; but so was Caesar and Augustus and they were real. All I can say is read it and keep an open mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply a great book, 20 May 2003
'Ender's game' tells the story of Andrew Wiggin (or as he prefers to be known-Ender). Ender is a highly intelligent boy who has been chosen to go to Battle School, to train in an army that the 'International Fleet' hopes will stop the incoming invasion of an alien race called the 'Buggers'.
Ender's Game is one of my favourite books for many reasons; Ender is a likeable character who I found empathy with from the first chapter, bullied and ridiculed because he's different, he quickly becomes isolated in Battle School, with even the teachers plotting against him.
The other characters are interesting as well, the relationship that developes between Ender's mean older brother Peter, and his warm, gentle sister, Valentine, is particularly engrossing, as we never quite know whether Peter's motives are honourable, or for his own personal gain.
I especially enjoyed the way the book ends, and without spoiling it for you, turns an already good book, into an brilliant one.
This book isn't just for Sci-fi fans, it's very easy to read, and relies on its characters rather than its technology to drive it. This makes 'Ender's Game' very accessible to anyone who hates the genre normally. My sister (who had never touched a Science Fiction book before), got hooked on it when i gave it to her on Holiday - even asking for its sequel once she had finished it.

Ender's Game (Ender Saga)
Ender's Game (Ender Saga) by Orson Scott Card (Paperback - 1 Dec 2011)