5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing astray about Stray Souls...
This is set in the same world - and the same backdrop - as Griffin's highly successful Midnight Mayor series, featuring Matthew Swift as her conflicted and very powerful protagonist and is definitely one for the adults. Sammy the Elbow, the world's second best shaman, sprinkles his dialogue with language almost as foul as his smell...

This book is written in...
Published 23 months ago by sjhigbee

3.0 out of 5 stars Midnight Mayor lite
Not a bad book, Kate Griffin's style is always enjoyable, and living and working in London as I do it's enjoyable knowing the locations used in the novel. That said I generally prefer the darker tone in the Midnight Mayor series, it definitely feels that a conscious decision was made to make this almost a kids version of the earlier books. All the characters have an...
Published 17 months ago by Mr James Kendall

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 23 May 2013
G. Stuart - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
Loved this book, a jolly good read. Very original and entertaining. Some of the names are so funny. Would reccomend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Midnight Mayor Series... but WITH Chapters!, 15 May 2013
simon211175 (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It took me a while to get round to reading this, for which I can only apologise. I'm a huge fan of the Midnight Mayor series of books (start here: A Madness of Angels (Matthew Swift Novels)), and really wasn't happy to hear there wasn't a new one coming.

So I gave Stray Souls a chance. The first thing I noticed here, was the book has chapters. It's literally full of the things. Regular readers of my reviews (Hi again Mum) will know that the only thing I didn't like about the Midnight Mayor series was the lack of these fellas. So now we have some, and it's great and everything, but I'm not sure we really needed them :P

Seriously though, congratulations on the whole chapters thing.

The style of writing here is of course very similar to the Midnight Mayor series (can I just refer to them as the MM series now?), although there is a lot more humour in this one (or at least there seemed to be). The characters are great, even the evil Mr Ruislip has his moments of likeableness, and as such I found it really hard to put this down.

I'm looking forward now to getting the next in this series, although I am still keeping my fingers crossed for another in the MM series too. If you are a fan of the MM series - and if you've read them, then obviously you are - you'll enjoy this. If you've not read the MM series, then well you don't really need to in order to enjoy this, but I would recommend you do anyway.

Overall, another great book from Kate Griffin - keep them coming.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a joy, 2 April 2013
P. Cranfield - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
Having developed a great respect for Kate Griffin's work through the Midnight Mayor series did not prepare me for how much I really enjoyed this book. The characters are simply fascinating , and watching them develop through the book is a joy. The use of Matthew Swift was cleverly handled, the character not being overused, as this could have distracted from the lighter feel to this book (notwithstanding the nature of the villain of the piece). There were times when comparisons with Pratchett could easily have been made- some of the one liners are simply superb. Not wishing to incur the wrath of Pratchett fans, however, Griffin's book does hold together to the very end, which has not always been the case with Pratchett. There is little not to enjoy and this book is highly recommended to anyone with a taste for the unusual and a sense of fun. Looking forward already to the next book!

4.0 out of 5 stars Marils, 31 Mar 2013
I enjoyed this the first one presumes of a new series by Kate Griffiths. The one reservation I have that it is very similar to The Midnight Mayor books so don't really see the point of referring it as new. Having said that it is very readable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully the start of something great, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
I've really enjoyed the Matthew Swift series of novels, and was really interested to see where this new view on Kate Griffin's urban fantasy series would go. I was not disappointed! 'Stray Souls' has a very different feel to the Swift series; much more of an ensemble piece, with an interesting approach where character back-story and current whereabouts are interjected in (in some cases) very short chapters. The characterisation is great, with some really interesting characters. The main plot itself is straight out of the Swift canon, and itself is less important than enjoying the characters as they battle their way to the inevitable ending. London itself, as with the Swift novels is the real star. Vivid descriptions, with a detailed understanding of the locale makes it a character in its own right.

A great start, and I really hope there are more in this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 9 Mar 2013
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
A new author (to me anyway), I enjoyed this book and would recommend it as a good read. have already ordered another book by the same writer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Anon, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
It's OK and a good read but feels a bit like 'Midnight Mayor - Lite' - Still, a gritter more believable Urban Fantasy than many and full of nice world making detail. I wonder about a Spellcrackers cross-over?
For what it is worth I recommend it for fantasy lovers.

5.0 out of 5 stars best author ever, 28 Nov 2012
I love the midnight mayor series and I love this as it is midnight mayor but with some Terry Pratchett style humour - Kate Griffin is a genious

2.0 out of 5 stars help, 21 Sep 2014
This is like trying to do a Rubik,s cube, when it will only work on the blue squares of the quilt of life....I know WTF!

2.0 out of 5 stars Just didn't click, 28 Mar 2014
This review is from: Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) (Paperback)
The first few short punchy chapters seemed appealing but it soon stopped holding my interest and I was frankly bored half way through. I soon started to get irritated with the writing style as I read gems like this: "The teeth that remove his left ear dig deep enough to crack the solid sphere of his skull like a pistachio". Sorry, but this is one to donate to the charity shop.

Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous)
Stray Souls (Magicals Anonymous) by Kate Griffin (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)