Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 August 2013
it was so good I have now started the next one. The interplay of modern terminology with what is after all very old and often long dead subject matter and characters grated a little at first but, I have grown with the book and find myself liking the characters. Even the Goblin.
I am glad to have found this book and the Glass God sequel. Looks like that might be it for this bunch of misfits as Kate Griffin seems to have given them the slip. Once I Finnish Glass God I will select something else from her as I like the style.
on 2 March 2014
I found the language rather trying....that's the working class London lingo, coupled with swearing (which I find boring). However, the story is rather good, the characters well created, and for fantasy, the whole package is well presented and enjoyable. Ms Griffin's new shaman characters are interesting and likeable, and is look forward to the next in the series.
on 10 November 2013
This is a new series by the author of the Midnight Mayor Matthew Swift novels but is written in a very different style. Its more Kick Ass and and Out there I find than the other series. I really enjoyed it !

Love the characters and faster paced style of writing. There is alot more urgency to the main character in this series and I do love a foul mouthed goblin before bed.

I have the second one already but not read it yet.
Hope its as good as this one was !
on 24 June 2013
As a big fan of the Matthew Swift books, it was nice to see a change of emphasis in this novel. One of the problems with any lone hero series is that the existential threats they face tend to get more extreme and the plots a little jaded. To bring in a whole new set of characters and fade Matthew slightly into the background is a great idea and I think it really works in this book. Our new characters have interesting "personalities" (is there a correct phrase, "monsteralities" would sound clumsy ;-) and the plot contains some genuinely amusing moments. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series now.
on 10 May 2014
I have been ploughing through the Matthew Swift books (which makes it sound like hard work, and it ain't) and I commented that The Minority Council was fitting the formula Griffin had evolved. Stray Souls a departure, retaining characters but shifting the centre away from Swift. She has changed the chapter length (it's amazing what a difference it makes) and shifts the PoV, though sometimes unnecessarily. Action is fast and engaging but the language is less lush. There is still the tendency to dive in to a metaphor and really work it but the metaphors and language are more street. Worth reading for itself, but also as an exercise in rejuvenating a franchise.
on 7 January 2013
I loved this book. It has loads of laugh out loud moments and the descriptive writing is wonderful.
This will be a series that I shall look forward to reading with great enjoyment. If you like Pratchett you will love Griffin!
on 24 February 2013
It's OK and a good read but feels a bit like 'Midnight Mayor - Lite' - Still, a gritter more believable Urban Fantasy than many and full of nice world making detail. I wonder about a Spellcrackers cross-over?
For what it is worth I recommend it for fantasy lovers.
on 3 April 2013
Not a bad book, Kate Griffin's style is always enjoyable, and living and working in London as I do it's enjoyable knowing the locations used in the novel. That said I generally prefer the darker tone in the Midnight Mayor series, it definitely feels that a conscious decision was made to make this almost a kids version of the earlier books. All the characters have an 'amusing' twist, a banshee into modern art, a troll who enjoys fine dining, a hyperchondriac vampire, a Druid with allergies etc. sure it's good for the characters to have flaws but with them being that overt it was kind of like reading an episode of Scooby Doo. I half expected the villain to be unmasked while uttering the immortal phrase "I would have gotten away with it if it weren't for you pesky kids".

I get that authors need to change direction from time to time to keep things interesting for themselves, but in a world where London is swarming with magic imbued figures, surely other cities, or countries have the same so why can't we see them, does the countryside also have magic? If so what happens when the city expands? Basically I feel this was an okay novel but there are far better ways Griffin could have expanded the Midnight Mayor world.
on 15 March 2013
I've really enjoyed the Matthew Swift series of novels, and was really interested to see where this new view on Kate Griffin's urban fantasy series would go. I was not disappointed! 'Stray Souls' has a very different feel to the Swift series; much more of an ensemble piece, with an interesting approach where character back-story and current whereabouts are interjected in (in some cases) very short chapters. The characterisation is great, with some really interesting characters. The main plot itself is straight out of the Swift canon, and itself is less important than enjoying the characters as they battle their way to the inevitable ending. London itself, as with the Swift novels is the real star. Vivid descriptions, with a detailed understanding of the locale makes it a character in its own right.

A great start, and I really hope there are more in this series.
on 29 September 2013
great book. very well written. involving and absorbing story, characters you can grow interested in and care what happens to them. hoping there are going to be more as have now completed what has already been written in this series