Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2010
This review is near to completely spoiler-free for the book Silver Borne in itself, beyond what the "blurb" already has told you. Spoilers for the rest of the series is reserved to veiled references to the events of book #3, Iron Kissed, and a line that gives away which of the guys Mercy finally ended up with in another book.

I've been a fan of Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series ever since I read the first book, Moon Called, a few years ago. Urban fantasy is a genre I generally avoid, as it has not made a very good impression on me.

This is not in the least the case with Briggs' series. She has succeeded in creating some great characters, who inhabit a fascinating world were all kinds of supernatural creatures are "out" among the humans to various degrees. Her plots are all quite strong, but what really drives these books are the incredibly well-written character interactions. One gets the impression that these are real people one is reading about, each with their own set of troubles and vices. She's an excellent character-writer!

Now, for this book specifically. I must confess I found book #4, Bone Crossed, a big disappointment. I did not find the plot intriguing in the least, but I was still loyal enough to keep buying the series. I don't regret that decision at all, for #5, Silver Borne, is my favourite in the series!

Positive:

The repercussions of the events that happened at the end of book #3, Iron Kissed, are still handled very tastefully, and kudos to Briggs for that!

The workings of pack bonds are expanded upon, and it makes a quite fascinating read. I found the parts pertaining to pack politics the most interesting in the whole book.

Samuel gets some wonderful character-development, and I'm very pleased with how his story-arch has played out. Briggs has handled his part of the love-triangle very well, so well in fact that it was barely touched upon after it was resolved in the last book. Now it looks like he might get another opportunity at love, and since I never was a fan of Mercy/Samuel but still like Samuel this seems great to me.

I'm also pleased at the attention Briggs gives Ben, who I've actively liked since Blood Bound (#2) and found interesting already in Moon Called (#1). Now he seems to be one of the most important minor characters, and in my opinion he's utterly lovable beneath his off-putting manner.

Negative:

Conversely, she ignored Stefan completely in this book, but I'm not the greatest fan of vampires anyway. Instead, she has focussed more on the fae, though not as much as in Iron Kissed. This is a point in her disfavour in my mind, but others might enjoy it.

To me, the most negative aspect of this book is the confrontation with this book's "big bad", which felt like something of a let down. I thought what actually happened in a rather crucial scene was poorly explained, and part of what Mercy went through in this book reminded me of the end of Iron Kissed though it was nowhere near as bad. I simply found it too repetitive). It did not significantly alter my reading experience of this book though, it was brilliant! I wish it was longer, as I finished it only a few hours after it arrived with the post:(

tl:dr: Patricia Briggs has done it again!
on 2 May 2010
I'm a big fan of Mercy, the shap-shifting mechanic and the other regular characters in this series: among them, Adam, the Alpha wolf in the local werewolf pack and Samuel, a doctor and the ancient werewolf son of the Chief American werewolf. The setting, America trying to come to terms with the fact that there really are supernatural beings living next door, is well realized and clever.

This latest installment sees the fey trying to gain possession of an ancient artifact of power which belongs to Mercedes friend Finn, who has been kidnapped and tortured to reveal its whereabouts: naturally, Mercedes has it. She has to rescue Finn, hide the artifact and try to save Samuel who has lost his will to live. Lots of werewolf politics, evil fey and derry doing. Since you wouldn't buy this book unless you were willing to suspend belief, you'll find it well worth the time. Patricia Briggs writes beautifully!
on 20 April 2010
For those who are new to the series, Mercy (Mercedes) is a mechanic and a coyote shifter with relationships throughout Fae, Vampire and Werewolf communities and this is Book 5. First off, in my view the series is awesome. I love Mercy, she is a heroine worth reading about being strong, independant and somehow real in a genre that does tend to be full of female characters who trade on their sexuality above all else. Start with Moon Called and read through as I really don't think these ones are stand alone. This book wasn't up there as my favourite but my commitment to the series remains as constant as ever. I was frustrated a wee bit by this book, I found it a bit less interesting and slower going that the previous. I did really like the insights into the werewolf pack and I always enjoy it when Bran makes an appearance so overall a 4 star effort but something was missing for me this time- Mercy in peril is a usual theme..think i just didn't quite feel the same urgency with the threat in this latest volume but am still dying to know what Mercy will be up too next!
on 15 March 2011
I'm really enjoying this series. I've read them all twice now, having only been introduced to them 6 months ago. There's very few authors I can re-read that quickly. I can assure those who haven't yet tried them that the quality is consistently high, but it is a series that one should read from the beginning.

As other reviewers have said, a lot of this book deals with the internal dynamics of werewolves, in several senses. I like that. I appreciate it when the author has enough respect for the reader to put some thought into the internal laws of their invention, making them consistent and logical. I enjoy discovering what those laws are, and seeing how the author uses them to build the plot. So long as it's all mixed with enough excitement, and in this book it is.
on 12 April 2010
I had been looking forward to this book for what seems like an eternity and I wasn't disappointed!
I must agree with everyone else and say that this was my favourite book of the series, I loved the way Mercy has finally gotten over her demons and is able to let Adam close. I love how their relationship has developed so slowly and gotten finally so very deep.
Mercy is one my all time favorite characters ever, I loved her since the first book and more i read about her the more I can't stop! I can't wait for the next one and I hope so badly that there would be loads of more Mercy books on their way. I cannot imagine the heartache if and when this series comes to an end....
on 8 August 2010
I eagerly looked forward to reading Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.
My only regret with the book was that the situation with Sam seemed a little under played...hopeful there will be more of him in Patricia Briggs next book...which I'm counting the weeks to buy!
Having been a bit disappointed with Patricia's Alpha and Omega series I was really happy to find that the new title in the Mercy Thompson series was the author back on form for my own personal tastes. The writing was great with Mercy learning to adapt to her new responsibilities as well as discovering a new foe in the shadows. Cracking mystery, as well as great inter-character personal emotional conflict backed up with dialogue that feels that it was written with no real effort on the author's part, as if the characters had spoken directly to her mind. A real treat for any reader of the Urban Fantasy genre.
on 16 May 2010
I eagerly looked forward to Patricia Briggs latest edition to the Mercy Thompson series. I was not disappointed. I loved Silver Borne as I have love all the books. Silver Borne let us look deeper into the world of the werewolf. I learnt more about the relationship between Adam and Mercy, how much Adam has come to depend on Mercy and how she is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy that took place in Iron Kissed.
on 8 July 2011
I really liked this one and I think it was because of the whole pack mentality and how they (well, most of them) finally accept her as part of the pack and Adam's mate. I also really like the books that Bran show up in, I love Bran.

This is the book that changed my opinion of Adam, when I read all the others the first time I always though Adam was very domineering of Mercy and he just never sat well with me. But this one showed me a different side of him and changed my opinion, which makes me glad I re-read the series because I like him so much more now.
on 2 February 2013
Fast moving and humourous as usual.I would choose this rating for all of Patricia Briggs books as they are equally entertaining and keep you on your toes.I have also traveled near to where the books are set and the surrounding areas therefore it is even more interesting.
I would recommend this book to all those of us interested in were wolves, shape shifters,vampires,fae and unexplained not to mention the human side of things.