5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far I think
Published on 28 Mar 2010 by Claire Mill

3.0 out of 5 stars A shift towards shifter romance
I have to admit that this is the book that I have enjoyed least out of all the books by Patricia Briggs that I have read. Maybe it is because I am judging her by her usual high standard, but I was disappointed.

This book seems to concentrate mainly on the love lives of the major characters, with the peril and problem acting mainly as a framing device for a long...
Published 17 months ago by Alexa

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book so far I think, 28 Mar 2010
Claire Mill "Cem" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
This is the 5th book in Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Mechanic and coyote skinwalker Mercy Thompson is used to getting in trouble with bigger, badder supernaturals than herself. She lives next door to, and dates, local alpha werewolf Adam Hauptman, works with a Fae and is friends with a vampire. She knows how dangerous the Fae can be, she's met with two of their leaders before. But why she seems to being targeted by them now, she doesn't know.

If playing the Fae's deadly games wasn't enough, Samuel, Mercy's roommate and long time friend, is in trouble. He's an old wolf, living as a lone one in Adam's territory. Being close to Mercy was supposed to help him, but now the depression that's been plaguing him for months suddenly worsens. Mercy doesn't know how to help him, keep him safe from Adam, and deal with the Fae at the same time. But Mercy hasn't survived in a wolfs world without being stubborn and learning a thing or two about keeping herself alive.

I completely loved this book. The whole series is fantastic, but this book is quite possibly my favourite of the series so far. Mercy is still dealing with what happened to her at the end of Iron Kissed (book 3) and Adam is doing his best to help her with that. Their relationship has grown slowly, carefully and I love it. There is something very real about their relationship. I also really love Adam's teen aged daughter, Jesse. She's smart and sassy and we get to see more of her in this book, showing how much she's got in common with her dad. I love the easy friendship she and Mercy share and how Jesse deals with all the werewolves, being only human too.

We learn a fair bit more about pack bonds and mate bonds through this book, as well as pack structure. And more about how a werewolf is a man and a wolf, and how the two work together, or don't as the case may be. The wolf lore and Fae lore explored here is interesting, without becoming boring or a lecture at any point. There is some really good character development through the book, with Mercy, Adam and Samuel in particular, but others as well.

The plot is tight with some very good twists and turns. I found this almost impossible to put down. There is some good humor and it's nice to get to know more of Adam's pack, as well as dealing with some on going issues (Samuel in particular). Both main plots, Samuel and his problems, and the Fae after Mercy, are both carefully woven together, neither taking away from the other, both are well developed. Mercy's emotions come across clearly and you feel all the ups and downs with her, understanding why she feels and acts the way she does. Overall, a really excellent series and one you must read if you like urban fantasy. This book is almost certainly my favourite so far with a great story, some very good sweet and funny moments, but pulling no punches when it comes to the bad stuff. Easily one of my favourite books so far this year. Can't wait for the next book, only wish we didn't have to wait a year for it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely my Favourite so Far, 7 April 2010
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
I agree with others who have said this was the best in the series so far. It's certainly my favourite. I think what I loved most was that loose ends which had been on going for a few books were tied up.

Like Sam. This was really his book. For a while now he's been on the edge and it was finally addressed in this one. For Sam fans, this will blow your mind. Through him we also learn a lot about what being a werewolf is like.

It also concentrated more on Adam and Mercy's growing relationship. It's been a lovely slow build but this book took it even deeper.

The "bad guy" is back to the fae. Always a thrilling pleasure. Mercy has something they want, but must not let them get. She not only has to keep it safe, but look out for her friends, and herself.

This is a good example of an excellent urban fantasy novel. One of the best I've read in a while and I'm so looking forward to the next one. Fans won't be disappointed and newcomers have some incentive to read the rest of the series first! You'll enjoy the series if you like Ilona Andrews, Kelley Armstrong, Kim Harrison etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in a day, 7 April 2010
PJ Rankine (Wallington, Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
Yep, it was that good. I took it to work with me and ended up reading the ending stuck in traffic on the way home. Patricia Briggs is a highly skilled wordsmith and her writing will keep you turning those pages till the end. A lot of authors by the time they get to the fifth book in a series have given up on the casual reader and write for their fans but Briggs is far better than that. The story grips you from the word go and plunges you straight into Mercy's world but all the way through she feeds the reader little titbits designed to fill you in with just enough back story to make sense to the casual reader and hopefully tempt them to go back to the start of the series. The vampires are missing from this book although they do get mentioned. This story is about the fae and the wolves, in particular the problems of Samuel, and both threads are beautifully interwoven. This is a book for readers of both sexes and the requirements of both are artfully met. There is just the right balance of relationship material to excitement and thankfully no lurid sex scenes. The violence is tempered and appropriate, the fae well researched and the characters believable. Like the previous reviewer; who's synopsis was so good that I didn't need to repeat it, I can't wait for the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars best book of the series and best urban fantasy I have read this year so far, 31 Mar 2010
I. LOVED. THIS. BOOK.

This is book five in the Mercy Thompson series and in my opinion, the best one of the series so far. Deeply satisfying. This was just brilliant in every way from the first page to the last. There are simply no words to express how good this book was and how much I enjoyed it. It might sound a little bit like I'm gushing but you what, I am and I don't care. I went into this book looking forward to it sure, but I wasn't quite so happy with the ending of the last book and there were some things I just did not like in book three, so I was really hoping it was going to make me feel a whole lot better about Mercy, Adam, the pack, the future of the series.

Well it did that in spades. If you follow the series you will already know the background and the story so far, and this has been covered by the other reviewer, so I'll not waste your time by repeating it. If you are reading this review, not having read the previous four books in the series, and thinking it sounds great, well it IS great, but please stop reading any spoilery information and go read the other four books first. You will appreciate and enjoy this one so much more if you do!

In a lot of ways this is Samuel's book and I just loved the way the author handled that situation. It was just brilliant, scary, sad, worrying, funny, heart-breaking and ultimately rewarding. But of course it is Mercy's series and she does take centre stage and quite rightly, so it's also about the continuation of her relationship with Adam and the pack, relationships with her friends and with the fae. She's still dealing with the aftermath of events in previous books, as well as resentment and hostility from pack members, a romantic relationship that is not without it's stresses and strains, and some seriously major league fae who is out to get her. No vampires in this book btw, it's all about Mercy and Adam, the pack, the bonds, Samuel and the big bad fae.

Definitely the best urban fantasy book I've read this year so far. I haven't started on Changes: The Dresden Files yet and I have high hopes for that one but this was just wow! Thank you Patricia Briggs, I'm so happy with the direction this series is taking. This book is made of awesome!

One tiny little issue I have is with the covers. Obviously, it bears no relevance to the contents or quality of the wonderful content at all but I wish we could have the very beautiful covers that adorn the US version Silver Borne (Mercy Thompson)

Book Review re-posted from Book Addicts Book Group blog 31 March 2010
Paranormal Social Club book discussion for April 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars Silver indeed.., 20 April 2010
This review is from: Silver Borne (Paperback)
For those who are new to the series, Mercy (Mercedes) is a mechanic and a coyote shifter with relationships throughout Fae, Vampire and Werewolf communities and this is Book 5. First off, in my view the series is awesome. I love Mercy, she is a heroine worth reading about being strong, independant and somehow real in a genre that does tend to be full of female characters who trade on their sexuality above all else. Start with Moon Called and read through as I really don't think these ones are stand alone. This book wasn't up there as my favourite but my commitment to the series remains as constant as ever. I was frustrated a wee bit by this book, I found it a bit less interesting and slower going that the previous. I did really like the insights into the werewolf pack and I always enjoy it when Bran makes an appearance so overall a 4 star effort but something was missing for me this time- Mercy in peril is a usual theme..think i just didn't quite feel the same urgency with the threat in this latest volume but am still dying to know what Mercy will be up too next!

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 27 Jun 2014
As good as ever. She continues to delight and engage the reader. A very good series, I hope there will be another.

5.0 out of 5 stars great fantasy series, 8 May 2014
I bought these early books in the series in pre-kindle days but wanted to have them on my kindle so re bought them. they're a reasonable price. I've lots of books i'd love to have on kindle, i hope the US scheme to let readers but kindle versions at discount comes to UK!! Please Amazon :-) These are all really well writtne novels, full of action and advnture, characters that feel real, danger that feels genuine and capped off with the romnce between Adam and Marcy running through all the books. Definatley one for keepers and re reading - and i've just gone through the whole sereis again, along with the Aspen Creek spinoffs.

5.0 out of 5 stars stefan, 11 Feb 2014
really good characters and stories. like the humour as well. but so wanted Mercy to end up with Stefan. sorry

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down !, 8 Feb 2014
One of the best in the series , I loved hearing more about Sam. The Adam and Mercy storyline was beautifully done. Read in a day !!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read, 27 Oct 2013
M. Olden "Michael Olden" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Borne: Mercy Thompson Book 5 (Paperback)
I won't write a huge amount, all you want to know is, is this a good book. Well written, interesting characters, well thought out plots and a great idea for the supernatural fan. A very good series. I love them.

Silver Borne: Mercy Thompson Book 5
Silver Borne: Mercy Thompson Book 5 by Patricia Briggs (Paperback - 2 Jun 2011)
6.29