5.0 out of 5 stars Armstrong returns even stronger with Broken
After enjoying all of Kelly Armtrong's books, especially Bitten and Stolen I feel like I have been waiting for the third chapter in Elena's story for a life time.

Published on 16 May 2006 by C. Morris

3.0 out of 5 stars A Break in the Chain
To me a disappointing return to Kelley Armstrong's much awaited werewolves, for the werewolves I believe there was a breach in the balance Armstrong has worked hard to attain between the real world and the fanasty, with the serial killer returning from the London streets via portal, too much magic if you will for the werewolves.
Though I did enjoy parts of this...
Published on 22 July 2009 by Meg

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Armstrong returns even stronger with Broken, 16 May 2006

Broken focuses on Elana Micheals the only known female werewolf in the supernatural world that coexists with the normal human world. Through the Women of the Otherworld series we have seen Elena refuse her werewolf status, accept it, reunite with mate Clay and be stolen and locked away in a laboratory and finally escape to live with the Pack (the werewolf clan).

This new adventure sees Elena help steal the infamous Jack the Rippr From Hell letter, and deal with her precnancy at the same time! As chaos ensues after the letter opens up a portal to Victorian England, Elena, Clay and the rest of te Pack race to close it and remedy the ailments it has caused.

This book shows that Kelly Armstrong is stronger than ever and is dveloping her characters to their fullest. Her writing is enigmatic which give the reader "I can;t put it down syndrome". The story is well paced and makes you keep reading right until the end. Twists and turns keep you interest as well as the further developing relationship of Elena and Clay which all Armstrong fans have been waiting for. Its great to see that the chemistry is still their and that they have become closer than ever.

For any fan this book is a must have and for anyone new to the otherworld series it is a great book to read.

A brilliant enstallment that will keep you hungry for more... Bring on more from this excellent author!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Stuff yet again., 4 May 2006
Kelley Armstrong certainly hasn't lost her touch for setting the macabre amidst normality. Elena and Clay's story continues and this installment sees them attempting to close a portal to "Hell" that they accidently opened with a squashed mosquito! Zombie prostitutes with Syphallis, rabid rats, cholera and Jack the Ripper all nicely rolled together with Elena's advancing pregancy make for another unputdownable addition to the series.

It was nice to see that Elena and Clay whilst mellowing with age and impending parenthood into a happy couple are still freaky and screwed up enough for their lives to be nothing close to approaching normal. The story also has a very happy ending which pleased me no end. Maybe they will take a back seat for the foreseeable future and the next generation of werewolves will take the story forward.

Well worth the wait.

Check out Kelley Armstrong's website if you haven't already, the free online fiction is cracking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Broken - book 6 of the Women of the Otherworld series, 28 April 2006
Natalie Westgate "aur3lia" (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic book! I've always loved Kelley Armstrong's writing but found that I hadn't really clicked with Elena...until I read Broken. It has a bit of everything and I was torn between reading it slower, to make it last longer, and not being able to put it down! In the end I just couldn't stop reading and finished it wishing there was more because it was such a wonderful read.

You get to find out a bit more about one of the races, along with what's been going on with the pack since we last heard from Elena. The story in this one keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through, and I don't think there was one chapter that ended without me wanting to carry on to find out what happened next.

I'm really looking forward to the next Elena book now, which I know won't be for a few more years, but I can comfort myself knowing that book 7, even though from a different perspective, will be just as good.

If you already know and love Kelley's work then you'll love this one too. If you're looking for a new author to get hooked on then Kelley Armstrong is definately a good choice!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as great as Bitten, but still a good Armstrong book, 18 Aug 2009
Though I'm a huge Armstrong fan, I'm ambivalent with Broken: I'd give 3 stars for the plot and 5 for the Armstrong storytelling (so that's how the final 4 stars came).

I haven't skipped any books, read them in chronological order, so I wasn't lost when some newer characters or other supernatural species, entities (cabals, interracial council) were mentioned. Still, Bitten is the novel I remember loving and being amazed by the most, I don't know if that is because it was my first Kelley Armstrong book, or because I love Elena's narrating, so I was very happy and looking forward to Broken, to finally get back to Elena after 3 books (though I loved the ones narrated by Paige very much also!), but unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed by Broken.

Don't get me wrong, Kelley's writing style is still there and going strong, her sarcastic, bitingly funny dialogues are also there, making you crack up laughing out loud, her characters are still very present in the flesh, and she certainly knows how to build suspense and describe fights, what was underwhelming was the plot, the main mystery. Opening a portal and letting Jack the Ripper out on the loose? it sounds exciting, but somehow, maybe to maintain the mystery until the very last moment, we don't get too much a glimpse of it, all we see and read about are the rotting, decomposing zombies, and that made me feel like the book dragged on, and nothing crucial or terrifying happened (the murders committed weren't described that much, so they couldn't convey the brutality).

But the characters are the very strong and sure skeleton of this novel, Clay is still an irresistible protective macho-man/wolf, Nick is still the charming nice guy, who makes you want to hug him, and new characters get introduced, one of them is especially great: Zoe Takano. she made me laugh so much! And of course, Armstrong didn't lose Elena's voice along the road, so it still is a very enjoyable read.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry, 27 Jun 2006
Amy Connolly "book addict" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Even although i'm a loyal Kelley fan and have read all the series and loved them, i must say that this wasn't quite as great as the others, or at least the other pack books.

I loved seeing all the old characters again, and it was a very interesting plot, but it did seem a little repetitive. I'm sorry, but if i was completely honest, that's what i have to say.

Still though, another great Kelley Armstrong book, still better than a lot of werewolf books out there, just not quite her usual standard.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Break in the Chain, 22 July 2009
Meg (Northern Ireland, UK) - See all my reviews
Though I did enjoy parts of this book which I could see it's purpose in developement of certain relationships such as Jaime and Jeremy, and broadening the character list of the Other world series, and well as some memorable mentions and reintroductions of other charchters like Aaron.
For those who have read the other books in the series it's a necessary read for follow on books for the character developement,but for any one who is just looking for a read I would advise her previous werewolf related books like Biten and Stolen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another good book!, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Broken: Number 6 in series (Otherworld) (Paperback)
Of all the Otherworld characters, I rather love reading Elena and Clay's stories. In this book Elena is asked to steal a letter and ends up letting Jack the Ripper loose in the streets of Toronto...oh and she's pregnant!
This book keeps you in suspense until all is revealed. Characters from the previous books appear as well, which helps build up the supernatural world. As the book is from Elena's point of view, you really get a sense of motherly protection towards her unborn child and her annoyance at Jeremy and Clay for being over cautious.
Admittedly, some parts were obvious to me and that left me shouting at their stupidity for not seeing this, but it didn't ruin the book for me!
Another great edition to this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE it!!!, 29 April 2006
Clare "clare030182" (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I got my copy in Waterstones this morning, took a chance they'd have it early. I just spent the day reading it and I wasn't disappointed!!!

Elena and Clay are closer than ever and expecting - yep Elena finally decided that she and Clay are ready for a baby. The book begins with Xavier (the teleporting demon) reappearing to ask for a favour, he needs help stealing the From Hell letter supposedly written by Jack the Ripper. The pack agrees to help in exchange for details on a mutt. The book then jumps a few months forward so Elena is 4 months pregnant and the job goes off well til blood gets spilled on the letter and a portal opens spitting out zombies and more... I don't want to give away too much of the plot but we get lots of action with all the pack involved in trying to fix the problems Victorian England is sending through to Toronto where most of the story is set, Jamie comes along to help and we meet a new Vamp - Zoe. Paige and Lucas are mentioned in the book but aren't part of the story. Things start to go wrong as Clay gets hurt and Elena is threatened ... Kelley Armstrong keeps the tension going throughout, keeping you guessing and doesn't disappoint with this newest book. I absolutely love this story and recommend it!! If you haven't read any of Kelley Armstrong's books before this book does stand alone so you could start here but i'd suggest you check out Bitten and Stolen first to get Elena and Clay's back story.

Buy this Book!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Jacks back!, 26 April 2009
This the third book that focuses on Elena(the only female werewolf in the world) and her pack and follows on from bitten and stolen.

The book sounded really promising- elena steals the 'from hell' letter and unleashes jack and his cronies on the modern world-should be good eh! It just didnt have the pacing and adventure the other books had. I felt it could have been a lot better and felt a bit cheated- all this stuff about jack the ripper on the blurb and then he hardly figured in the book at all and it goes in different direction.

Still a good readable book tho and i got thru it in a few days.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elena is back, 7 May 2006
JAB "Jo" (suffolk england) - See all my reviews
Couldn't put this book down Kelley Armstong at her best if you havent tried any before it is easy to follow even if you haven't started with the first book but i would start at the beginging with bitten.If you like any of the Laurell K Hamilton books then this is a book for you. Waiting for the next book will be hard.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Broken: Number 6 in series (Otherworld)
Broken: Number 6 in series (Otherworld) by Kelley Armstrong (Paperback - 5 May 2011)