Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2004
"Industrial magic" is the fourth book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series, and you are highly likely to enjoy it a lot, specially if you read the others before. "Bitten", "Stolen" and "Dime store magic" introduce you to a world where magic and the supernatural are just part of everyday life. "Industrial magic" just takes you further into it...
As you know, in "Dime store magic" Paige, a witch, had to fight for the custody of a young girl named Savannah. In order to do that she had to face a powerful Cabal, which is a mafia-like organization of sorcerers. Should I tell that witches and sorcerers aren't exactly on good terms?. And that Paige got to meet her new boyfriend Lucas, a sorcerer/lawyer, in the process of gaining Savannah's custody?.
In this book we get to see Paige and Lucas living together, and trying to keep Lucas's father, powerful Cabal leader Benicio Cortez, at a distance. The problem is that Benicio wants Lucas to assume the place of heir to the Cortez Cabal, despite being his youngest son, illegitimate, and the proud owner of quixotic tendencies that take him to endorse causes against the Cabal. Benicio loves his son, so he decides that asking for Lucas and Paige's help in an investigation involving the assault on a young witch (daughter of a Cortez Cabal employee) is a good way to approach him.
Clearly, both are very tempted to say no to Benicio's offer, but soon enough they realise that the assault is related to quite a few assassinations of other teenagers that belong to Cabal's families, and possibly to a supernatural killer. After that, can Paige and Lucas really say no?.
In "Industrial magic" we get to meet again our favourite werewolves (Elena, Clay and Jeremy), some of the vampires we already met (Cassandra and Aaron) and a few others, more half- demons and shamans, and even a necromancer. Also, we learn a lot more about the different Cabals and their inner struggles, about Lucas' dysfunctional family and Paige's attempts to come to terms with it. Of course, that isn't easy for her: how would you feel if your prospective brother-in-law had tried to kill you?.
So far, the first two books in the "Women of the Otherworld" series were centered on the werewolf Pack (through Clay and Elena's story), and the other two were centered on witches and sorcerers (through Lucas and Paige's story). I'm eager to read more from all of them, so Kelley Armstrong please write the other books in the series quickly :)
If you want to know more about the books I already mentioned, future release dates, or prequels to the novels in the series (available for free in Armstrong's website), visit [...] and you won't be disappointed.
On the whole, I believe this book is really great, and quite original. I heartily recommend it to you, if you like to mix the supernatural/ horror theme with a little bit of romance and a whodunit.
Belen Alcat
on 7 October 2004
i loved kelley armstrong's first 2 books Bitten and Stolen, but thought the 3rd book dime store magic was lacking appeal of the first 2, i'm definately glad i stuck with her though and went on to read industrial magic. This is by far the best book so far it has you hooked from the first page, and you definately warm to the characters as they develop more in this book. this book is great if you love all things weird!! it's packed full of witches, sorcerers, mediums and even the odd apperance from warewolves! it leaves you wanting to know more can't wait till haunted comes out!! 10/10
on 26 July 2012
I'm a huge fan of this series. This has been the series I've grown with. I've been reading them for about four years now. This has been the series that will always stand out in my mind. I think most readers will have that one series that pulled them into the world of reading and to me this is it. The Women of the Otherworld series introduced me to the world of all things paranormal. This series has had such an impact on me personally, and I will never forget it. Why am I telling you this? I want you to understand how much the ending of this journey means to me. I love these characters and I've watched them grow and become unique individuals. This is the world I want to step into to. But with 13, that journey comes to an end.

Yes, I'm upset that my all time favourite series is over but then again I'm not. Kelley Armstrong has brilliantly tied everything up from the series. We see all the characters returning and we find out what the future holds for them. it couldn't have been done better. The series finished on a high and this will make all readers come back again and again. We see the series wrapped up perfectly, every characters gets their ending and I couldn't be happier for them. Yes they are tried and tested throughout the book but that's what it's like to be a supernatural, nothing is easy or normal. It never will be. We've come to the end of the journey and that has left me very emotional. No other series has made me feel this way. This book in one word was perfect.

13 is a very good and strong book. It's one of the best in the series, and you can easily tell. Right from the start the reader is hauled into the middle of the action. This book is full of action, it's the war of the Otherworld after all isn't it? We see characters returning and combining forces to combat the bad guys. I loved how all the different supernatural races came together to save their world. It was brilliant.

I don't want to give too much of the story away as this is book 13. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. It will always remain my favourite.

13 joins the Otherworld when a mysterious group of supernaturals are hell bent on revealing their secrets to the rest of the world. In the middle of it all are our favourite characters. Each are drawn in and tangled into the groups plot to reveal the truth of supernaturals. We see Savannah and her friends coming together to find out how to stop this group before things change their world forever. What makes it worse is the leader of this group has created a deadly virus which can turn normal humans into terrifying monsters. As the Otherworld splits into two sides, Savannah and her friends have to put a stop to this before it's too late.

The characters in the Women of the Otherworld are so real and fleshed out. They are the best characters I have ever read about. Each main character is unique and there are a lot of them. Even so Armstrong creates memorable characters that leave a big impression on the reader. We have Savannah the fiery witch. She's brilliant, I've grown with her since we met her in book two. I love watching her grow and learn throughout the series, its a brilliant reflection of real life and what all of us go through. Minus the magic powers. We have Elena and the werewolves. I will always love them. It started with Elena in Bitten and even now she's my favourite. We have so many other important characters I can't list them all but they are all great. Well the good guys anyway! Even the bad guys were creepily real. Oh and the Demons, we got a better look at them in 13 and they were incredible. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

I loved 13, it's that simple. It's a brilliant book that keeps the reader engrossed from start until finish. I didn't want it to end but it had too. The twists and turns were great too, some made me grip the pages harder others made me gasp. I didn't see any coming. Oh, I'm going to really miss this series. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend and it's heartbreaking. This will forever remain my favourite series, the impact it's had on me as a reader is phenomenal. This book was a brilliant end to the series and it couldn't have been better. The Women Of the Otherworld truly went out with a bang. 13 is the perfect ending to a brilliant series.
on 26 March 2011
I love this series, but I have struggled a bit with both Dime Store Magic and Industrial Magic. I like Lucas and Paige, love Savannah, find the whole Cabal world interesting but I just couldn't get invested in the storyline of this book. Paige and Lucas are trying to find a serial killer who is targeting stray teens from the cabals.

This book is just as well-written as the others, but it wasn't attention-grabbing and "can't put it down" like the first two. I stopped reading it two or three times because it wasn't quite holding my interest enough. One of the problems was the lack of Savannah for much of the plot. We had brief tantalising glimpses of Jeremey, Elena and Clay as well, but not enough to lift the plot. Towards the end, when the pace of the story picked up a bit, I was more engaged, particularly with the resurgance of a character from the second book. I won't name names, as it would be a plot spoiler ;)

All in all, this is still a must-read but it didn't wow me. I am ready to move on from Paige now. She just doesn't pack enough of a punch.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindle edition- error free, so go ahead and download it :)
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2005
In the latest instalment of the Women of the Otherworld series we see the return again of Paige Winterbourne. Paige is now living with Lucas and they are trying to keep Benicio Cortez at a safe distance, which proves difficult as benicio wants Lucas, despite being not only the youngest but, also illegitimate as heir of Cortez Cabal.
Benicio thinks that asking for Lucas & Paiges help in an investigation involving a young witch, who also happens to be the daughter of an employee of Cortez Cabal, would be a good way to approach him. Paige & Lucas really want to say no but, find out the assault is relating to other assassinations of offspring's of Cortez Cabals employees. They noon realise they really cannot say no.
We also see again Jeremy, Elena and Clay albeit briefly and also Cassandra and Aaron the vampires we saw in Stolen. We also see a new character in Jamie who not only is a TV personality but, also a necromancer who really livens things up.
I really enjoyed this one even more so than Dime Store Magic, and can't wait to read Haunted which tells the story of Eve, Paiges deceased mother.
on 17 November 2004
And I thought Dime Store Magic was good... Accidentally I came across the third novel of Kelley Armstrong and read it in one big breath. So when Industrial Magic came out I was ready for more. And let me tell you this one's even better than the one before it.
Characters get lots of room to develop. We see the relationship between Paige and Lucas. The relationship between Savannah and Paige. And the one between Lucas and his father. There are some new characters. The one I liked the most would however be Eve and I'm glad we'll be seeing more of her in Haunted.
The story was also amazing. It was well-plotted. It was interesting. And it kept me hooked.
What Kelley Armstrong has accomplished in this book is to find the perfect blend of mystery, drama, action, romance... you name it. The story is just well balanced.
I think it will be hard to do better than Industrial Magic but I sure hope she finds a way. Industrial Magic was just wicked!!!
After reading Dimestore Magic, the book which immediately precedes this one in Kelley Armstrong's series, I was in two minds about whether I wanted to bother reading Industrial Magic at all. I really enjoyed the mix of adult adventure and supernatural skullduggery in Bitten and Stolen, and was disappointed that DSM was so very mundane by comparison. So I picked up IM, expecting to be disappointed again...

Couldn't have been more wrong! The action switches back to adults, away from teenage angst, and there's a meaty plot to power the characters along. The sorcery ramps up and the cast of characters and supporting mythology all mesh together to create a satisfying quick-quick turn-the-pages-faster feel. It's almost as if Kelley Armstrong is making up for the domesticity of the previous installment by throwing everything at this one: you start off with witches and sorcerers but very soon you have international cabals, necromancers, the werewolf pack (yay!), vampires and probably a demon or two - and without a hint of cliché. Kelley Armstrong has the knack of incorporating the supernatural into the 21st century without it seeming absurd, so you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

My only criticism of this novel is that maybe there are *too many* protagonists in the final chapters. Some of them aren't well established enough to stand out in the reader's mind so you get a bit of a mishmash of characters as the plot gallops to its climax. It's a little bit confusing - but to be honest I'd rather there was too much action than not enough!

So now I'm all fired up for the next one: Haunted. Great.

If you're thinking of buying this then it is possible to start here, although you'll need to bear with it a bit in the first couple of chapters and may struggle with some of the already established characters and their universe. I can't recommend starting with DSM (it really isn't `horror' or event very `supernatural adventure'), but try Bitten and the Stolen if you want to get into the swing of things. They introduce the world of Industrial Magic and many of the players, so then you could safely skip DSM and get to the good one!
on 21 June 2007
Paige Winterbourne is ousted as leader of the American Coven of Witches but desperate to protect those she loves she is thrown into a maelstrom of sorcerers, necromancers, druid gods and vampires. This makes for an appetising mixture of horror, sensual thriller and comedy. Well written with a very modern heroine. This book (& the series) will appeal to all those fans of Poppy Z.Brite/Charlaine Harris/Wayne Sharrocks & Storm Constantine...
on 10 May 2013
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

I love kelley armstrong, shes one of a my favourite authors but ive found the books in this series getting less 'fleshy' if that makes sense? The last couple of books that centered on Savannah (and the last one about Elena) seem to lack the depth that the others had and thats especially prevalent in 13. I enjoyed reading it and was sad to see the end but it left me feeling like nothing had really been accomplished in the book and that it was rather pointless? I dont know whether thats because ive grown up as these books have been written or something to do with the author. Its a must read for anyone who is a fan of the otherworld though.
on 9 September 2004
Paige is back, along with her sorcerer boyfriend, and adopted daughter, Savannah. Things are just starting to get back on track for Paige after the whole Nast cabal thingy in Dime Store Magic, when trouble appears in the form of potential father-in-law.... not so fun. The cabals are having problems with attacks on runaway teens and suddenly Paige and Lucas are expected to run to their rescue leading to.... well lets just say not quite as much fun as meeting the in-laws should be.
Another great read from Kelley Armstrong, I look forward to the appearance of novel no. 5. I just wish she would write quicker. Paige is good, if quirky heroine, and a must read if you are a fan of Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake.