5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most memorable of Erotic Memoirs
Published 13 months ago by Tenille B. Smith

3.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Read!
This book really made me chuckle but it was a bit samey all the way through. Read for titillation only.
Published 4 months ago by koggyboy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most memorable of Erotic Memoirs, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker: The Intimate Adventures of a Woman Who Can't Say No (Paperback)
It seemed more than coincidence to me that I wound up with Suzanne Portnoy's The Butcher, The Baker, The Candlestick Maker in my hands to review. Its original release was in 2006, a year that flew right by me because I was in the midst of a separation from my two children's father, moving back in with my mother, losing my full-time job and entering a brand new relationship.

At that time, the world around me was reading about a 40-year old divorcee's wildly erotic adventures. Now fast forward seven years, the book has been re-released, and my life has changed dramatically and fresh meat like me got the opportunity to climb into bed with it for the very first time.

I knew when researching the book what is was about and what I didn't want to write about it. Yes there is sex and yes it is sexy...very, very sexy. And I only got that out of the way to allow me to say that that there's some really good stuff here. And in this instance the stuff I'm referring to is Suzanne's superb writing.

The sex inside the pages wooed me, but Suzanne's way with words wowed me.

The scenarios presented in this memoir were so magically painted that it almost read like an erotic novel, and while I believe that fantasy is great, anyone who knows me knows I like my sex with a little reality. That makes it perfect that there is plenty of emotion tied in with this erotic memoir's mistress, Suzanne's couplings.

No way does she does she make the mistake of confusing sex with love, not even in the beginning after she has sewn what she thought were her wild oats and settled down and married. She doesn't look for love in sex - not in dives, not in sex clubs or in saunas.

She also doesn't present us with a faux representation of what it's like to be a mother of two, over forty, and sexing again in happening cities like London and New York a la Sex and the City's Samantha Jones.

Suzanne has her share of thrills and her share of disappointments, and what will keep her readers turning the pages and ultimately hesitating to close the book is that through it all she gets right back up and tries again.
The Butcher, The Baker tugged me every which way. It made me happy to be currently married and out of the dating scene, but also made me wish I and made more of the free time I had between marriages.

However, The Butcher, The Baker is not just for the mature, divorced woman, it's for the adventurous couple, it's for the curious single, it's for the voyeuristic man which she so eloquently writes about... it's for the woman who wants to wrap her hands around a firm glass of cabernet and swallow hard as she devours every delicious word.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing, honest and more emotionally complex than it first appears, 8 April 2013
Roman Clodia (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This is a very honest memoir of a woman who is 44, divorced with two children - and yet still pursues an active and alternative sex life. Suzanne refuses to play games of searching for `The One' but, equally, won't allow herself to be written off sexually, to become an invisible, asexual, middle-aged mum figure.

Picking up men through her job in London PR and media, via swinging web-sites, and various sex clubs, she romps her way through a huge number of partners and encounters. But beneath the sass and upfront assertions (`I'm not looking for a boyfriend. I'm looking for sex'), she also manages to fall in love more than once, get emotionally involved, and hurt. As she herself says, `I can't just push a button and turn on, like a machine. I'm in love with this man. That's why I have sex with him'.

So in some ways this is a self-contradictory narrative which, frankly, tends to make us warm to Suzanne more than if she were just some kind of sex machine. Some of her anonymous sexual encounters are, for her, supremely satisfying, but many are rather forced, mundane and just generally disappointing, and I like the way she doesn't try to talk them up.

This is explicit and unashamed, though too down-to-earth to be erotic. It's a voyeuristic look into another woman's sex life, and she's not afraid to spell out the details that we might not even share with our best friends.

So don't read this if you're easily offended by either sexual language or acts. I liked the way it deconstructs the cultural ideas we're fed about love, romance, marriage, motherhood, and The One, and Suzanne is an irrepressible heroine in her own story.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Funny Read!, 5 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Honest, horny and funny, 27 Jun 2013
Even if you think you're a sexual sophisticate, this is still a startling piece of work because it's so honest and so utterly plausible. Suzanne is neither a nubile innocent learning to love depravity at the hands of Mr Right, nor a cynical old hack trying to portray a 'liberated' woman as some kind of blow-up doll with ever-open orifices. She's just a woman who decided to leave an unsatisfactory marriage and allow herself to own and explore her sexuality. She doesn't mind admitting mistakes she's made, but celebrates the fun she's had along the way. And as a fellow frequenter of the swinging scene, I can happily say that I identify with a lot of what she writes. I'd go so far as to call it truly empowering, because it is, in the end, a book about being true to yourself.

3.0 out of 5 stars Praise for the honesty, 30 May 2013
First off I would like to congratulate Suzanne on having the ability to not just experiment with her sexual desires but to share with her readers her experiences in an honest way.

I found it to be an interesting read, one which I read in a day.

But honestly to me I felt as though at times Suzanne was highly judgemental , she doesn't like being judged on her looks but that's the first thing she does herself when meeting new people.

It's an easy read and fans off spicier novels that 50 shades will enjoy it, it's got something that keeps you turning the pages.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED!, 14 April 2013
I read this in one sitting, unable to put it down due to wanting to know what happened next--or who would be next on the sex list. A fascinating insight into the life of a woman who would, it seemed, try anything once! I admired her courage in telling all and sincerely hope she has found her happiness after a long time of searching for the man who can give her everything she needs. I'm sure, due to the way some people are, that this woman's choices were frowned upon by many, but as far as I could see she made sure her children were shielded from her lifestyle and only introduced them to the men she was serious about. If she lost friends while enjoying her sex life, then that's a shame, but as far as I'm concerned, it shouldn't matter what she did between the sheets (or anywhere else for that matter!), she's still the same person she always was. All in all, I admired her for doing what she wanted despite the dirty looks and people undoubtedly talking behind her back. I feel it takes a strong person not to back down and "behave" in a way others feel is better, and that was the best part of the book for me. She did these things anyway, because that was what was good for her at the time. Yes, a refreshing book/tale!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Fifty Shades !, 23 April 2013
Good read but became a bit boring! Would have liked a better ending :) Still looking for another Fifty Shades:)